Author Topic: Would any of you consider this a Head On?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
Re: Would any of you consider this a Head On?
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2024, 03:34:09 PM »
Would this be considered a Head On shot? and if so would the shot taken by my opponent in the first turn be considered a Head On shot as well? Just curious as to what people think.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2024, 03:39:17 PM »
Would this be considered a Head On shot? and if so would the shot taken by my opponent in the first turn be considered a Head On shot as well? Just curious as to what people think.

No HOs detected.  First shot was close.  Your shot definitely wasn't.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2024, 03:54:20 PM »

Nah, I don't think either shot was a HO, there was no way he would have been able to get a solution there.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2024, 04:14:50 PM »
I kind of figured considering I shot his Stab off, seems some have a flexible definition of the term.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 04:21:52 PM by Bopgun »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2024, 05:50:51 PM »
I kind of figured considering I shot his Stab off, seems some have a flexible definition of the term.

IMO, there is a difference between "could have" made the HO shot, but veered off for angle, and "no possible gun solution" in the crossing shot. If you are both coming around off the first immelman it's understood that you will both potentially have a HO pass. Generally this HO is avoided for respectful engagements depending on the situation and position of both players.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 05:52:54 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2024, 08:42:21 AM »
I guess it all depends on what the definition of a HO is. To some its a straight nose to nose pass, others that rudder kick as you pass is a HO as well.

Then, to go deeper, you can add in "why do you play?". If your in the game to rack up kills and get all the chicks then any HO/shot is going to be a part of your arsenal because all you are after is another notch in your belt. For me, for the longest time I was in it for the fight. I hated firing in anything that was forward of the 3-9 line. I fought the fight to get my opponent into a position where I have the shot and all he had was a bucket full of my rounds. That was always the challenge for me.  Now, not so much. Most fights are dodging picks and HOs or chasing someone to their ack. Ill take pretty much any shot these days as Im SURE they are going to take every shot.

Its not worth worrying about whether or not a shot is a HO, the other guy is going to shoot anyway.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2024, 08:49:41 AM »
No. A Head-on is when both people have a firing solution. At no point in the merge, first loop, or second, did both have a firing solution.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2024, 10:02:46 AM »
No. A Head-on is when both people have a firing solution. At no point in the merge, first loop, or second, did both have a firing solution.

I would have to agree with you. Thanks for everyone’s input, Good to know I’m not a HO

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2024, 11:17:32 AM »
I would have to agree with you. Thanks for everyone’s input, Good to know I’m not a HO

Well that is still up for debate, we were just discussing if you HAD HOed, not if you ARE a HO.  :devil

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2024, 03:51:07 PM »
Since I usually fly a defensive, low, and slow plane,  got the HO situations many times and generally against cannons. I try to avoid HO since almost every time I die. But there is nothing wrong with HO if you believe that’s the only way to survive an encounter. I just wonder if on the WW2 pilots avoid be in that situation?

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2024, 03:46:22 AM »
Since I usually fly a defensive, low, and slow plane,  got the HO situations many times and generally against cannons. I try to avoid HO since almost every time I die. But there is nothing wrong with HO if you believe that’s the only way to survive an encounter. I just wonder if on the WW2 pilots avoid be in that situation?

Based on several shelf meters (or yards) WW2 literature, lots of autobiographies, some used HO frequently while there were those who avoided it at all costs. What comes to fly defensive and low, yes, überkites diving mach 3 from stratosphere lead to HOs pretty often.
The Mad   CatMan!