Author Topic: Upgrade Path  (Read 1741 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Upgrade Path
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 10:33:49 PM »
It's not the frame rate so much. I keep getting bounced to the desk top, and when I say bounced it's just like I've alt tabbed out then a second or two later I come back in to the game. I'm showing some high cpu usage; one core is %100, and the other three are in the %90 area. and the gpu is showing usage in the high 90's. My temps look great in the the mid 60's for both cpu, and gpu. This is from hwmonitor, cross checked with Afterburner. The system is fairly lean at 120 processes running on win10 home.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 09:30:56 AM »
Long story, but I ended up doubling my budget and building a complete new system around the the 12400F. The whole system is a departure from what I would normally build, but pc part prices are not normal these days. If I can get two or three years out of it as it is now I'll be happy.

It ran FSO with with no issues, and in fact I was surprised that there were no hiccups at all.

Running 1440p @ 165Hz

i5 12400F                                          $160
MSI B660M Mortar                              $160
ID-Cooling SE 224-XT                         $30
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3200 CL16           $0      I already had this in my other machine.
XFX RX 6700 XT                                 $500  I believe this is my first Radeon gpu. I would have like a RTX 3070 but the slight performance increase over the 6700 isn't worth the $150
                                                                  price difference to me.
EVGA SuperNova 80+Gold 750W         $75    I was a little leery of getting a psu named supernova but the reviews are mostly positive for it.
Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2 NVME    $60    I already have 1TB Crucial MX500 ssd, and 2TB hdd so I just need the NVME for the OS.
Phanteks Elite P360a                           $70   Good looking case at a good price, and got the doesn't suck rating from Gamers Nexus.

I went the no rgb route, I even replaced the two included Phantek rgb fans with some non-rgb fans I had in my parts bin.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »
Long story, but I ended up doubling my budget and building a complete new system around the the 12400F. The whole system is a departure from what I would normally build, but pc part prices are not normal these days. If I can get two or three years out of it as it is now I'll be happy.

It ran FSO with with no issues, and in fact I was surprised that there were no hiccups at all.

Running 1440p @ 165Hz

G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3200 CL16           $0      I already had this in my other machine.
XFX RX 6700 XT                                 $500  I believe this is my first Radeon gpu. I would have like a RTX 3070 but the slight performance increase over the 6700 isn't worth the $150
                                                                  price difference to me.
EVGA SuperNova 80+Gold 750W         $75    I was a little leery of getting a psu named supernova but the reviews are mostly positive for it.
Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2 NVME    $60    I already have 1TB Crucial MX500 ssd, and 2TB hdd so I just need the NVME for the OS.
Phanteks Elite P360a                           $70   Good looking case at a good price, and got the doesn't suck rating from Gamers Nexus.

I went the no rgb route, I even replaced the two included Phantek rgb fans with some non-rgb fans I had in my parts bin.

If you are on a budget, RGB has no place in your build. It does nothing for performance. LOL

Mine looks like a late 70s disco.  Well it would if I didn't have it all green.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 12:22:43 PM »
Very true Shuffler. I find it amusing that people say they are on a budget but then include a couple extra hundred dollars in rgb in their build.

Honestly, it seems harder to find "gaming" products that don't have rgb. Most of it is lit up like the Las Vegas Strip. And it's not like I'm immune from the aesthetics side of it. I did go with a vertical gpu mount which means a pci-e 4.0 riser cable. I didn't include it in the cost of the build, $70 for the mount and riser cable. Still close to the $1100 mark and I like the way it looks.

:cheers:

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2022, 02:19:53 PM »

Running 1440p @ 165Hz

price difference to me.

Looks like solid build, SIK1!  Congrats and enjoy!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2022, 02:04:41 AM »
Looks like solid build, SIK1!  Congrats and enjoy!

What oboe said!

Let Me know what you think of that XFX Radeon GPU,... I've used XFX Radeon video cards in a lot of PC Builds over the years....haven't had one fail yet!!!

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2022, 09:37:22 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm really liking the new system.  :cheers:

TC, pretty sure this is my first Radeon card, but not my first XFX card. I found a XFX 8800GTS Alpha Dog in my old parts bin.  :O
So far I'm real pleased with the 6700xt it runs AH @1440p smooth as butter with all detail maxed right out of the box. I'm still tweaking it trying to find the optimum performance settings.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 10:07:21 AM »
SIK1, I appreciate the update brother...sounds great 👍

<SALUTE>

TC / Johnny
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »
Nice.... with all that butter, all you need is some popcorn.  :rofl   :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »
Nice.... with all that butter, all you need is some popcorn.  :rofl   :aok

I save the popcorn for the AH message boards.  :banana:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2022, 03:03:53 PM »
I save the popcorn for the AH message boards.  :banana:

Even better  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"