Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Wut?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 11:59:52 AM »

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 12:12:45 PM »
Huge amounts of frozen methane gas is trapped in the permafrost,it’s being released as the temps rise and the permafrost melts. It’s not just Co2 that’s the problem,the term is greenhouse gases not gas.

They are considering calling polar bears marine mammals because they are spending more time in the water than on land or ice. Up in Churchill the bears are being land locked for up to 6 months,used to be a 3 month stay until the sea ice could support them. They are staving during this time as they can’t feed except for from human garbage. They are considered the most southerly population of polar bears, will be a real shame when they are gone.
It also means the oceans will get warmer. The heating of ocean water creates hurricanes.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2022, 12:16:03 PM »
You know that Algore has the stone tablets from the mount...
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2022, 12:39:38 PM »
You know that Algore has the stone tablets from the mount...

Not so much a definite argument than an emotional one, eh?  :old:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2022, 12:44:41 PM »
We need a hot young leader like the Finns.  :banana:

We just need a leader...it's been decades since the world has seen a real one

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »
Huge amounts of frozen methane gas is trapped in the permafrost,it’s being released as the temps rise and the permafrost melts. It’s not just Co2 that’s the problem,the term is greenhouse gases not gas.

They are considering calling polar bears marine mammals because they are spending more time in the water than on land or ice. Up in Churchill the bears are being land locked for up to 6 months,used to be a 3 month stay until the sea ice could support them. They are staving during this time as they can’t feed except for from human garbage. They are considered the most southerly population of polar bears, will be a real shame when they are gone.

I'll start with greenhouse gases.  The three biggies are CO2, Water vapor - H2O, and Methane - HC4.  It's true, in a sealed environment the quantities of these gases will remain constant.  In a free atmosphere, one that contains Ozone, a single Oxygen atom, a free radical, if you will, then the Methane and the Ozone react and break down to water vapor and carbon dioxide.  People talk about how rain forests process carbon dioxide, but they never mention that rain forests produce large amounts of methane, which is release when animal or vegetable matter rots. 

As for the polar bears, their Latin name is Ursus Maritimus, the sea bear.  It's the largest extant bear species and the largest extant land carnivore.  I'm not too worried about the polar bears.  They just make a 'oh how sad' picture when the iceberg they've been floating begins to break up.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »
We just need a leader...it's been decades since the world has seen a real one

Eagler

As the late Douglas Adams (Author, Satirist and Humorist) wrote:

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to."

or, those most capable of leading have little interest in seeking the position!
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2022, 05:18:48 PM »
I'll start with greenhouse gases.  The three biggies are CO2, Water vapor - H2O, and Methane - HC4.  It's true, in a sealed environment the quantities of these gases will remain constant.  In a free atmosphere, one that contains Ozone, a single Oxygen atom, a free radical, if you will, then the Methane and the Ozone react and break down to water vapor and carbon dioxide.  People talk about how rain forests process carbon dioxide, but they never mention that rain forests produce large amounts of methane, which is release when animal or vegetable matter rots. 

As for the polar bears, their Latin name is Ursus Maritimus, the sea bear.  It's the largest extant bear species and the largest extant land carnivore.  I'm not too worried about the polar bears.  They just make a 'oh how sad' picture when the iceberg they've been floating begins to break up.

There you have it Morf the wildlife biologist from Georgia says there’s nothing to worry about. How could he be wrong?
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »
There you have it Morf the wildlife biologist from Georgia says there’s nothing to worry about. How could he be wrong?
Animals are the canaries in the coal mine.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Speaking of which
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 05:26:55 PM »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2022, 05:48:57 PM »
I actually couldn't believe how many trees there were in Alabama. Place was like a damn rain forest from the air.

It's very hard to perceptionalize how big Antarctica is. BTW, the world use to be far more under water than it is now. Half of Montana was under water a million years ago. I find that fascinating.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2022, 05:55:49 PM »
I actually couldn't believe how many trees there were in Alabama. Place was like a damn rain forest from the air.

It's very hard to perceptionalize how big Antarctica is. BTW, the world use to be far more under water than it is now. Half of Montana was under water a million years ago. I find that fascinating.
The Gulf of Mexico extended up tp Montana.

When the ice from the last Ice Age melted, the sea level rose 400 feet.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2022, 06:26:24 PM »

And boy did the human species thrive then.  ;)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2022, 03:04:00 AM »
BTW, the world use to be far more under water than it is now.

Makes you wonder where all the water went  :old:
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 03:32:10 AM »
Makes you wonder where all the water went  :old:
It's in your back yard. Did you know that the Gulf Stream causes the sea level on the American coast of the Atlantic Ocean to be lower than on the European coast?

Also I've heard that the mass of the water compresses the ocean floor. Liquids like water don't compress, substances often do.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni