Author Topic: What does Score tell about....  (Read 679 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
What does Score tell about....
« on: June 06, 2022, 09:55:35 AM »
...the number of players in the game?

If a player has 1 fighter sortie and a fighter rank of 982, does that mean that there have been 981 players in the tour with a better fighter rank?  Does that say anything about the number of subscribers?  Just wondering.   :headscratch:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:34:46 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: What does Score tell about....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 10:37:57 AM »
I think if you fly one sortie crash and kill no one it shows how many subscribed members flew that fighter option. Back in the day it was way above 1000. I know in 2002 there was 400 in the main...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:57:17 AM by nopoop »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 02:43:16 PM »
If I recall correctly, if you see a rank of 982, then there are rankings of active players in positions 1 through 981 above that player.  The number includes tied positions. 

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »
Remember there could be a hundred players tied for that last spot so it's not an accurate account of player numbers. As a guess it is ok. Also you should only use closed out tours for your comparison because things can change a lot.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 06:27:17 PM »
Last month - April (4/22) I chose not to fly any fighter sorties and ended up with a fighter rank of 1004 - fwiw, ymmv.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 06:55:38 PM »
# of players in game per month does not represent Subs paying for the game. Many subs do not play in a given month. A 1 sortie do nothing rank may be the lowest rank for the game but doesn't represent all of the players who have that rank. Rank tells me a lot of things about how players play the game. It generally doesn't determine skill, but you do have to have a pretty decent level of skill to be #1. I think trying for a high rank can test your general understanding of how well you are capable of performing in the MA relative to others performance.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 07:07:52 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 07:56:27 PM »
People pay attention to rank?  :headscratch:

I used to play for fun and when I get back my goal is going to be the same.  Granted I want to be good and have a better KTD ratio than average but as long as I'm having fun that's all that matters to me :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 01:54:45 AM »
I think if you fly one sortie crash and kill no one it shows how many subscribed members flew that fighter option. Back in the day it was way above 1000. I know in 2002 there was 400 in the main...

Back in the day, years ago, I've seen it with lowest pilot ranking being in the 5,000+ range
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 01:56:20 AM »
# of players in game per month does not represent Subs paying for the game. Many subs do not play in a given month. A 1 sortie do nothing rank may be the lowest rank for the game but doesn't represent all of the players who have that rank. Rank tells me a lot of things about how players play the game. It generally doesn't determine skill, but you do have to have a pretty decent level of skill to be #1. I think trying for a high rank can test your general understanding of how well you are capable of performing in the MA relative to others performance.

Nice post!  Violator!

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 08:31:36 AM »

What good are other subscriptions if they arent playing? The OP was wondering if the "lowest rank" number could be used as an idea of how many are PLAYING, not subscribed. In the end it can be, but only in a general sort of way.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 11:51:00 AM »
You need to watch where you score...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Missouri Court of Appeals has affirmed that an insurance company (GEICO) must pay a $5.2 million settlement granted to a Jackson County woman who claimed she unwittingly caught a sexually transmitted disease from her former romantic partner in his car.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)