Author Topic: An old wingman  (Read 1066 times)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
An old wingman
« on: June 06, 2022, 01:11:57 PM »
I ran into a new player today.  His callsign is GasTeddy.  We flew in WBs together from September of 2020 to October of 2021, when I moved to AH.

Gas is a great guy, very versatile and he taught me to love tanking.  He's a very good fighter pilot and much, much better than me at bombing.  However, as we know, AH is more complicated to learn than WBs, so he's going to have lots of questions. Be as patient with him as you can, because while he can hear you on the vox channel, he doesn't have a microphone and can't respond.

He said the main reason he went Knights was because he saw my callsign and hoped it would be me.  If y'all are half as nice to Gas as you have been to me, the game will gain a very good player indeed.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Re: An old wingman
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 03:05:59 PM »
Always good to see new players join. 

Not to toot my own horn, but if he has basic questions I would suggest: 

http://www.kentwoodstation.com/NewPilots/NewPilotsStart.html
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 03:43:02 PM »
Shot him an invite decoy
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 04:29:18 PM »
Very nice..........
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 04:41:56 PM »
Shot him an invite decoy

I tried but when I went to squads in the O club on the clipboard, the 'invite button' wouldn't highlight for me.  This guy retired from the military (Finland) as a chief warrant officer and now lives in Bulgaria.  So he flies mornings and early afternoon, sometimes as late as four or five pm EST.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 09:10:52 AM »
decoy, if your squad has it's own personal private forum on the message boards, who ever the CO of the squad is has to enable add/remove/and other options etc for who they might want to help keeping the private forum updated

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »
decoy, if your squad has it's own personal private forum on the message boards, who ever the CO of the squad is has to enable add/remove/and other options etc for who they might want to help keeping the private forum updated

Hope this helps

TC

That works for forums. It is also setup for squads. Your squad leader can set privs. Things like allowing you to invite folks to the squad, remove folks, etc. I know you know this TC, I was adding this for decoy. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 03:42:13 PM »
That works for forums. It is also setup for squads. Your squad leader can set privs. Things like allowing you to invite folks to the squad, remove folks, etc. I know you know this TC, I was adding this for decoy. :)

Thanks, the last time I saw Gas in the MA he was an EZ Target.  That makes three of us.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 06:01:56 AM »
Thanks Shuf, I  read over (went to the O'club) part....

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 08:42:38 AM »
Be as patient with him as you can, because while he can hear you on the vox channel, he doesn't have a microphone and can't respond.
I still don't understand why players don't use/have microphones, this day a basic on is a lousy $10
#1 joystick controller = gotta play
#2 microphone = communication is two way
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 11:28:07 AM »
I still don't understand why players don't use/have microphones, this day a basic on is a lousy $10
#1 joystick controller = gotta play
#2 microphone = communication is two way

He has one, but....  he and his wife just moved to another country to get favorable currency exchange for retirement and he told me he can't find it, but he knows it's there. 

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 01:48:23 PM »
I ran into a new player today.  His callsign is GasTeddy.  We flew in WBs together from September of 2020 to October of 2021, when I moved to AH.

Gas is a great guy, very versatile and he taught me to love tanking.  He's a very good fighter pilot and much, much better than me at bombing.  However, as we know, AH is more complicated to learn than WBs, so he's going to have lots of questions. Be as patient with him as you can, because while he can hear you on the vox channel, he doesn't have a microphone and can't respond.

He said the main reason he went Knights was because he saw my callsign and hoped it would be me.  If y'all are half as nice to Gas as you have been to me, the game will gain a very good player indeed.

Thanks, old boy, really appreciated.  :aok

If my memory serves me right, you were much better in dogfights, I might have had some success against boomers. And really, AH is pretty different many ways, learning curve is large and long. Haven't been flying a lot lately as have had other activities stealing my time.

I still don't understand why players don't use/have microphones, this day a basic on is a lousy $10.

I hope you understand a thing called malfunctioning voice card of the pc. Bought an external one and got a lemon, have to purchase one more. Or maybe headset used in WB is not compatible in AH..?   ;)
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 07:24:59 PM »
If the headset works in windows it will work in AH,be sure mic is set to record.

If you tune radio box V to your handle you can here yourself,be sure to use T to transmit and you can make adjustments as needed. Radio box V is tuneable, by default it’s set to 101.

Hope that helps.

<S>