Author Topic: 109 pilots. Share some secrets flying the beasts  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
Re: 109 pilots. Share some secrets flying the beasts
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2022, 09:38:23 AM »
I know I just barely picked up the 109, but I just thought I'd share how I've started to find great success by studying up on wartime dogfight records for the 109.
Just sticking to the aces' evaluations of going BnZ and avoiding turn fights is working wonders for my performance in the 109. Killed 3 in one sortie (one Superfort, one Jug, and one Fw 190), managed to push the P-47 down to the deck before finishing him off. I finally fought with my brain rather than my hands haha, I finally figured out how to make him burn his energy while conserving my own.

So my admittedly beginner tip is just be a smart BnZer and you get great results. I think. Lol.  :airplane:

(Image removed from quote.)

Nicely done 👍
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2022, 09:57:03 AM »
Ok, this brings up a question for me.  Why does it want to fall right?  I would thing the counter torque would pull it to the left.

By the way, I have enjoyed this thread.  Even though I don't fly 109's, it has been a good read.  Thanks.

It’s not really a case of falling to the right,if you read Shane’s statement he says if you want it to fall right it’s best to reduce thrust and torque by reducing throttle.

Yes sometimes it’s best to not use CT,I know many players toggle it on and off and a few who prefer to trim manually. Basically it’s there to reduce pilot load,similar to how we don’t have to make all the engine adjustments a RL pilot would have to. Not every player has all the setup required and would have to run through a bunch of KB commands.

Personally I usually have it on as I can’t be bothered to make the adjustments myself but there are times when I will turn it off to make  certain maneuvers easier,like pulling a 109 out of a high speed dive as an example.

As always YMMV!

<S>

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2022, 12:57:54 PM »
I found an old post by Hitech explaining Combat Trim
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,399077.msg5289744.html#msg5289744

So in a real airplane, I could be flying level and have to apply a little left aileron to keep the plane level. I would turn the trim wheel until there was no more pressure on the stick, and the plane would be trimmed.

With my joystick at my computer, there is no way to feel that pressure as I would in a real airplane.   That's why combat trim was invented.  Since CT is a simple mindless formula, it is sometimes more effective to turn it off and trim the plan manually.

The spring centered sticks we use can also be trimmed to relieve the stick pressure. The difference is that you move the stick to the center as you adjust the trim and you just remove the spring force. Some games will position a FFB stick according to the trim setting.

Combat Trim is table based. It's not as accurate as using an auto pilot mode to trim or trimming manually. The advantage of CT is that it's automatic when on.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »

The spring centered sticks we use can also be trimmed to relieve the stick pressure.

Mine can't.  I can't afford anything that fancy.  Mine is a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  It has a good fit, and does everything I need.  But no trim wheels.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2022, 02:14:36 PM »
You don't need trim wheels on the stick but any analog trim control makes it easier. I don't recommend it with keyboard trim but it would work. It's possible to trim off stick spring pressure. It moves the virtual stick position while centering the controller. In AH the quick way to adjust trim is with the auto angle auto pilot mode. That's what I usually recommend.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2022, 03:02:32 PM »
If this chat was more about about 109s and less about Combat Trim I'd probably be in AH by now  :uhoh
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2022, 03:57:45 PM »
If this chat was more about about 109s and less about Combat Trim I'd probably be in AH by now  :uhoh

I know right!

Lets back to tips on "Killin'" with the 109!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2022, 04:33:43 PM »
What is stopping you?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2022, 06:52:25 AM »
Turn in the vertical or at least about 45 degrees up to get inside more turny plane types

Shoot where they should be even if you can't see they...small burst then with gonds in a g2 sometimes make a nice pop and you never get to see the explosion

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »
The best tip I have is to learn about the energy egg principle and how to use the lift vector to point your plane where you want to go to.

This applies to every fighter regardless of type. Nothing fancy just apply BFM.

The energy egg is rather simple look at an egg,put the fat bottom down and that is how a plane turns in the vertical,you can use the pitch back,which is a nose up reversal to tighten the turn radious.You don’t have to turn straight up but can pitch up at an angle as eaglet suggests.

Turning down hill will increase speed but also increase turn radious, this also called a slice back!

I’d also suggest you work on the barrel roll defence,a hard break turn then a barrel roll to keep the lift vector on the enemy can be very effective, it often forces an overshoot and can put you into a position for a killing shot.

YMMV.

<S>

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »
Where does the ‘trim set’ fit in, if it does.

( KEY_DOT according to the key command list )
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:40:47 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
I prefer the goodies on all available 109s.  I feel that I have good gunnery, and being able to have the firepower to shoot my way out of bad situations seems to outweigh the performance hindrance.  Especially in high traffic areas where if trying to get saddled up for a solid shot with the small gun package opens the door for the opportunist (majority of remaining player base) to swoop down and gain your 6.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 03:20:13 PM by Lazerr »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2022, 04:26:24 PM »
Where does the ‘trim set’ fit in, if it does.

( KEY_DOT according to the key command list )

Fuse,I believe trim set locks the trim at the setting it’s at when pressed. If you use auto level then press trim set it should lock ing that setting regardless of increase or decrease of speed.

<S>

Offline Mako-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2022, 04:47:03 AM »
Set your trims on the stick or throttle, it needs to be handy. G6 is a great ride and use it all the time in melee. I do like it over the G2. Never take gondies, get used to the out the nose shots. Flaps will help in those knife fights but I go by the luft books I have and the tactics they use. They do work here too.
Mako

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2022, 05:31:08 AM »
Set your trims on the stick or throttle, it needs to be handy. G6 is a great ride and use it all the time in melee. I do like it over the G2. Never take gondies, get used to the out the nose shots. Flaps will help in those knife fights but I go by the luft books I have and the tactics they use. They do work here too.

What are some of the tactics that are in those books?