Author Topic: Puma44 Please Help This F4 Manual is Overloading My Brain  (Read 4176 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Puma44 Please Help This F4 Manual is Overloading My Brain
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2024, 06:42:20 AM »
Skyraider will reach 400mph when it dives away after the “toss” to hopefully let terrain shade you from the boom.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2024, 08:43:07 AM »
Does one really ever get away from a nuke?

Talk about them today as if they would be an alternative weapon choice is absolutely insane

Shrug.  It was one of the training items they worked on.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2024, 09:24:54 AM »
Does one really ever get away from a nuke?

Talk about them today as if they would be an alternative weapon choice is absolutely insane

Eagler

In the Six, our primary concern was getting blinded by the flash.  Next would be the shockwave.  Then, where to land, because home base would have been obliterated, along with our families, by incoming ICBMs.

I agree about the “alternative” weapon.  Once nukes start detonating, the planet will suffer for a very long time.  Very concerning when Middle East countries steeped in terrorist activity, talk of nuclear capability.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 10:15:09 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2024, 12:47:07 PM »
In the Six, our primary concern was getting blinded by the flash.  Next would be the shockwave.  Then, where to land, because home base would have been obliterated, along with our families, by incoming ICBMs.

I agree about the “alternative” weapon.  Once nukes start detonating, the planet will suffer for a very long time.  Very concerning when Middle East countries steeped in terrorist activity, talk of nuclear capability.

Like that movie Dawns Early Light.  Uhhhh where you you bother landing. ;)

Problem is, the enemy might not see it the same way.

I remember when I went through NCB training they drilled it into that Soviet doctrine had no special aversion to chem and to fully expect limited use of tactical nuke on key targets.  Soviets simply saw that as another option on their pallet of tactical options and expected to use them on a all out invasion of Europe.

I need to go back and read Hackett's The Third World War again.  Not a page burner or Shakespeare, but I remember finding it interesting when I read it.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 12:50:56 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2024, 01:18:07 PM »

Problem is, the enemy might not see it the same way.

I remember when I went through NCB training they drilled it into that Soviet doctrine had no special aversion to chem and to fully expect limited use of tactical nuke on key targets.  Soviets simply saw that as another option on their pallet of tactical options and expected to use them on a all out invasion of Europe.

I need to go back and read Hackett's The Third World War again.  Not a page burner or Shakespeare, but I remember finding it interesting when I read it.

I woulda pulled Powers Boothe's ejection handle and bombed some commies.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2024, 01:27:15 PM »

One night sitting around the squadron waiting for an Air Defense Exercise to start, the conversation turned to “where yuh gonna landing when the balloon goes up?”  One of the guys said he was going to the Bahamas.  He had worked it out and determined the Six could make it from Minot to the Bahamas, just a tad over 2,000 miles, at long range cruise. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 02:20:00 PM by Puma44 »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2024, 02:49:40 PM »
One night sitting around the squadron waiting for an Air Defense Exercise to start, the conversation turned to “where yuh gonna landing when the balloon goes up?”  One of the guys said he was going to the Bahamas.  He had worked it out and determined the Six could make it from Minot to the Bahamas, just a tad over 2,000 miles, at long range cruise.

As good a place as any to wait for the radioactive cloud.  :confused:

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2024, 03:18:28 PM »
Try saving the AB until you’ve rotated the pitch angle toward the horizon.  Accelerating downhill could be part of the issue with DT not working.  Also, drop from a stabilized dive angle.  With that much acceleration and pitch rotation, there’s a lot more calculating for the squirrel cage to accomplish.  Never would have considered lighting the burners diving at the ground, low altitude.  That’s a lot of closure rate with a hard surface, and as we all know, the ground always wins.

I have never attempted dive toss yet. I am doing it the way I learned in Aces High! and I am successful at it.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2024, 04:57:52 PM »
I have never attempted dive toss yet. I am doing it the way I learned in Aces High! and I am successful at it.

Thought you were referring to DT.  When you do get around to DT, the more stabilized dive the better.  Less for the squirrels to calculate.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2024, 05:04:43 PM »
As good a place as any to wait for the radioactive cloud.  :confused:

(Image removed from quote.)

Waltzing Matilda....

Is there still time?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2024, 06:00:39 PM »
For Banshee, so he doesn’t have withdrawal symptoms.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM »
For Banshee, so he doesn’t have withdrawal symptoms.

Much appreciated  :x :salute
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||