Author Topic: Just how fast is the Tesla Plaid? Watch and see  (Read 2239 times)

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
Re: Just how fast is the Tesla Plaid? Watch and see
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 10:27:08 PM »
90% of the US can’t afford any type of new car without borrowing “financing” the large majority of the price. Until that changes, who cares how it’s powered?

How much do you think a tesla costs?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 02:18:30 AM »
I'm not ant-electric vehicle at all, but right now they really are not cutting carbon emissions. One thing though is that electric vehicles are way more efficient in their energy to power output.

This problem has so many layers. The most fundamental is as pointed out earlier in the thread that we are simply moving the problem around under the rug. Until we have mass cheap generation  we're still buggered.

Plus EVs are expensive, I can buy (new) a mid-range diesel 4WD SUV which meets my needs for around 1/4-1/5th the price of a Tesla (which cannot get close to meeting my needs, of which 175mph is definitely not).

I think for me the reason EVs raise my ire is the are representative of everything that is wrong with the greenie movement. It's also about appearances, very little if any actually achieves anything. Right now I see my country (NZ) in a death spiral, our government is so focused on virtue signalling they are destroying our farming and other primary sectors (which guess what, this country relies on for it's gdp).

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 04:21:18 AM »
How much do you think a tesla costs?

The cheapest? Iirc, Musk hoped to get a low end sedan on the market for ~$40k by now.

My brother bought a used one for well over 100k. The ride is smooth and it’s comfortable.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 07:28:08 AM »
why? who cares?

That Plaid makes three times the HP while using 1/8th the energy of that BMW. It's astounding how fast that car is.

Because life is more than a 1/4 mile at a time.  It is a nice piece of tech but I can’t justify buying an ev in my current situation. The the cost doesn’t outweigh the benefit.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 08:56:47 AM »
This problem has so many layers. The most fundamental is as pointed out earlier in the thread that we are simply moving the problem around under the rug. Until we have mass cheap generation  we're still buggered.

Plus EVs are expensive, I can buy (new) a mid-range diesel 4WD SUV which meets my needs for around 1/4-1/5th the price of a Tesla (which cannot get close to meeting my needs, of which 175mph is definitely not).

I think for me the reason EVs raise my ire is the are representative of everything that is wrong with the greenie movement. It's also about appearances, very little if any actually achieves anything. Right now I see my country (NZ) in a death spiral, our government is so focused on virtue signalling they are destroying our farming and other primary sectors (which guess what, this country relies on for it's gdp).

I feel the same way. I'm not against electric vehicles, but I'm also not going to just eat up the propaganda that they are carbon neutral or even better for the environment. They will be at that point someday I'm sure.

But I feel the same way as you do on all counts.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2022, 08:57:29 AM »
Because life is more than a 1/4 mile at a time.  It is a nice piece of tech but I can’t justify buying an ev in my current situation. The the cost doesn’t outweigh the benefit.

That wasn't even the point of this. Lol. Who's this to show how fast it is. And it is amazingly fast.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2022, 04:13:21 PM »
With the latest heat wave, there is talk that Texas will have rolling brown outs.

Just talk among folks who do not know. ERCOT will ask that people and businesses cut energy use in times of high use, if they have some plants in maintenance or down for some other reason. It is precautionary. They keep running tabs on expected use and expected availability. It is called planning and it seems to work pretty good most of the time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2022, 04:14:43 PM »

At this time.... lots of cost and really no benefit. Some day they will come around and the tech will catch up though.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2022, 07:16:28 AM »
The cheapest? Iirc, Musk hoped to get a low end sedan on the market for ~$40k by now.

My brother bought a used one for well over 100k. The ride is smooth and it’s comfortable.

$43k. About $1500 above what the average cost of a new car is in the US.  Do you guys always spew off on subjects you have no clue about?

(Rhetorical questing)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2022, 07:53:57 AM »
$43k. About $1500 above what the average cost of a new car is in the US.  Do you guys always spew off on subjects you have no clue about?

(Rhetorical questing)

2/3 of USA make less than $75k there Sparkles.

The biggest expenses for households are rent/mortgage, then household expenses, children, healthcare insurance etc…

I don’t have any wild idea what you’re trying to get at, but like I said about 90% of cars purchases must be financed. Oops, sorry I was 5% off  :rolleyes:

——-According to recent car loan statistics, the vast majority of new vehicles hitting the road in 2019 were financed with a lease or a loan - 85%, about the same as in 2018. More of the used cars were financed, however: 55.5% compared to 54% in 2018.

Tell me how I haven’t a clue about this again please. Want more sources?

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2022, 08:05:40 AM »
I couldn't get in any EV and drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix - as I do sometimes. Unless I want the trip to take an extra day and be stuck charging it.

I would use an EV for everyday driving, and it would meet my needs I think. It's not a replacement for my Explorer. I need to carry stuff. Tools and parts.

The Ford Lightening looks really promising - I mean that thing seems very impressive with a lot of neat features. Still, I do not need a truck. A truck bed is usually a waste since I would not use it. Give me a Limited or above Explorer and I might be looking at that.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2022, 09:28:28 AM »
2/3 of USA make less than $75k there Sparkles.

The biggest expenses for households are rent/mortgage, then household expenses, children, healthcare insurance etc…

I don’t have any wild idea what you’re trying to get at, but like I said about 90% of cars purchases must be financed. Oops, sorry I was 5% off  :rolleyes:

——-According to recent car loan statistics, the vast majority of new vehicles hitting the road in 2019 were financed with a lease or a loan - 85%, about the same as in 2018. More of the used cars were financed, however: 55.5% compared to 54% in 2018.

Tell me how I haven’t a clue about this again please. Want more sources?

Almost 50% of Americans pay more for a new vehicle that a base model Tesla  costs. 

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you.  The fact that new cars cost more than most people can afford to pay cash for is not germane to this discussion.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2022, 09:40:10 AM »
For those considering a ford lightning in particular and really any EV you should look at this video. You may be spending more than you think if you MUST have it. Retired Auto dealer and his Son do a lot of checking on trends in the auto business. Their videos are usually pretty darn good including what to watch out for in buying a car new or used at a dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbIi1SL6lk
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2022, 07:21:20 PM »
Almost 50% of Americans pay more for a new vehicle that a base model Tesla  costs. 

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you.  The fact that new cars cost more than most people can afford to pay cash for is not germane to this discussion.

Oh? Most should not buy one to keep a good financial overall picture, but yah not germane. :rolleyes:

Let me know when you can drive for 5-6hours without necessity to recharge. Oh wait not germane.

Now, where is my ‘spew off on subjects you have no clue about?’

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member