Author Topic: Spitfire Variants  (Read 743 times)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
Spitfire Variants
« on: July 04, 2022, 04:49:04 PM »
I just recently asked about the different Bf 109 variants and their differences, now I need to do the same with the Spitfire.

I know the Spit 1 has the negative-g stall, the Mk V has not nearly enough cannon ammo, the Mk 9 is nicely rounded, the Mk 14 is a beast to handle, and the Mk 16 is stupidly maneuverable with a crazy roll rate and is generally deadly.

Other than that, I know pretty much nothing. I have heard, however, that the Mk 8 is preferred by the "pros", whatever that means.

Spit 16 is still my best plane, averaging a whopping 0.75/1 kill ratio right now.  :banana:
I know if it ain't broke I shouldn't fix it, but what's the deal with the different versions anyways?
Turn n' Burn!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Spitfire Variants
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 10:25:16 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_(late_Merlin-powered_variants)

The spit 14 is a gryphon powered version with a prop that turns the opposite direction from all the other spits.

The rest is pretty much covered in the wiki link.

<S>

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 08:45:38 AM »
The climb and speed charts in the hanger make useful comparisons between aircraft.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 02:49:48 PM »
Spit16 is the best overall MA fighter for 99% of players. Spit 8 turns slightly better and handles better at stall but has worse roll rate and high speed performance.

Spit 14 for high alt performance. But if I want an interceptor the k4 will generally be a better choice.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 06:35:55 AM »
The climb and speed charts in the hanger make useful comparisons between aircraft.

Better, http://www.spitfireperformance.com/

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 11:07:09 AM »
For flying in the game it's better to use the performance charts generated by the game aircraft.