Author Topic: National power grid down one month......Lord of the Flies?  (Read 8950 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: National power grid down one month......Lord of the Flies?
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2022, 02:05:25 PM »
Norway is a very small country and they get most of their electricity from hydroelectric. It's not like most countries would be able to do that. So you can't really point to something like that and say they went all renewable energy just because they have giant potential for hydroelectric dams and a very small country.

A place like China or the United States or Russia or most countries it will be a pipe dream.

Not that we can't go a long way toward renewable energy
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2022, 02:10:34 PM »
Wrong thread?

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2022, 05:44:27 PM »
Rioting would start immediately. Looters in a blackout know they’re in a race against time. Some of us would fare better than others.

https://youtu.be/xWMj-mFUDGA
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2022, 08:44:21 AM »
Rioting would start immediately. Looters in a blackout know they’re in a race against time. Some of us would fare better than others.

https://youtu.be/xWMj-mFUDGA

Excellent video.

I remember all of that well. If that isn't a prime example of armed citizens protecting themselves and their community, I don't know what is.

People don't realize how fast society can break down. Hours. and the police or medical aid will not be there for you.

Another example is the aftermath of hurricane Katrina - only that time police attempted to disarm citizens. at first.

Recently I have witnessed other minor riots in Los Angeles county. I believe it was the George Floyd riots. It went on sporadically for a few weeks here.

I was in the field as IT for places like Target, 711, Home Depot,  and others. Some of those places were decimated. The rioters even started to target more affluent neighborhoods, just because. There were curfews but we were exempt. Some neighborhoods were too dangerous to go into,

The rioters, in my opinion, are mostly opportunists. Most of them are out destroying things and stealing things because they know they can. I've seen the patterns. Peaceful protesting during the day, thugs at night.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2022, 07:43:05 PM »

I’ll bet it wouldn’t take much to cause a significant blackout event in California considering they are running near or over capacity.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2022, 07:59:58 PM »
When I read the book "One Second After" the wife and I began prepping.
We are up to 1.5 years of stores, food, medical, etc in our SHTF storage now. And living in MT in the high country with a fresh water source.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2022, 08:42:42 PM »
I’ll bet it wouldn’t take much to cause a significant blackout event in California considering they are running near or over capacity.

my guess is a little bit of snow like it did in texas.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »
my guess is a little bit of snow like it did in texas.

semp

Do you English much?  It would make it easier to understand you.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2022, 10:46:59 PM »
Do you English much?  It would make it easier to understand you.

Coogan

you just made everyone at the bar laugh. you are a funny guy  :rofl

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2022, 10:52:51 PM »
you just made everyone at the bar laugh. you are a funny guy  :rofl

semp

And you are quite Simp.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2022, 09:43:43 AM »
The obvious thing people are missing is that they will actually have to educate themselves on the new electrical devices.     If you don’t, you will be ripped off badly.

Electric everything is coming and it won’t be stopped. 
A little research on the part of consumers would benefit everybody……..unless you want to pay for what you could simply do yourself.   

What none of the vocal protagonists is mentioning is how more points of generation strengthen or help support the grid” because the generation is spread across the grid.   They’re too busy screaming at us to adopt without research and reflection. 

Instead of ramming it down our throats before the tech. is ready, maybe they should mention how we can benefit right now in the form of grid support offered by having a good amount of the the population with generation (or storage) capability.

This means possibly not having to double the amount of high voltage transmission lines once charging an electric vehicle becomes more common.   

While solar and wind contribute very little to the grid currently, they are still useful to lessen the impact of a key power transmission station failure and possibly stop a cascading failure.   

“Points of generation”  (likely incorrect term) I’m describing anything connected to the grid which can send power to the grid whether battery banks, home solar, or anything else that meets the requirement.

At some point, though, we need to make sure we aren’t vulnerable to having our energy throttled remotely by whoever controls the power companies.

It’s a double edged sword.    Research research research because not doing so could adversely affect your life.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2022, 05:41:18 AM »
Power companies going to build some concrete walls after last night.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 07:30:27 AM by icepac »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2022, 07:30:23 AM »
An idea stolen from a black mirror episode and modified..

Everyone over the age of 12 are issued their government energy generating exercise bikes which are monitored for daily activity..

In order to exist you are required to exercise and generate your daily allotment of energy as determined by our green energy leaders..

Those that have more times on their hands and sit around all day can provide more energy..

Your SNAP distribution is tied directly to your energy generation participation..as it is also tied to your medical records

Participation is mandatory and a daily doctors excuse is required to be excused..the excuse has to be provided by your Obamacare HDHP doc via a televised monitored visit ...

Might have to pedal for an hour to be issued 2hrs of AH play time or tv watching..

Throw in a digital currency tie in..

This scenario is also only if we are still this side of a civilized society which is questionable every time I turn on the tele...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2022, 07:39:46 AM »
I wrote something very similar to that episode in 1982.

I wouldn’t worry about that far forward in time just yet.

I’m worried about the next few months.   

Pallet of solar panels (new or used), carefully selected inverters to handle well pump start loads, two LifePo4 48v batteries, hardwood stove……etc.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 07:48:09 AM by icepac »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2022, 09:14:01 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nc-power-outages-investigated-criminal-occurrence-rcna59993

Yes it could happen at anytime so best to be as prepared as possible

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals