Author Topic: HOTAS set up  (Read 849 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
HOTAS set up
« on: July 10, 2022, 07:12:00 AM »
Okay gents I'm on the verge of getting my new rig and flight gear but I'm going to solicit opinions before I make a final decision.  As far as the rig I'm going to keep that to myself because threads like those tend to turn into arguments between members and a slew of 'just build it yourself and save money'  nope on that one.  I like the warranty and I'm willing to pay for it. 

That said my old setup was CH gear and I loved it.  I actually ran out of uses for some of the buttons when I had everything dialed in. 

So if someone walked up and handed you $600 to $700 for a stick, throttle, and pedal, set up what would you buy brand new out of the box.

Just for fun my next controller will be for car racing games then I'm considering getting a multi throttle and wheel for when I feel like flying a bomber or a goon. 

Fire away and thanks in advance
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: HOTAS set up
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 07:17:15 AM »
Ch pedals,  tm1600 throttle and warthog joystick is my hotas

I9, 3070ti with original vive pro with lens mod works well imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 08:14:06 AM »
the best of the "cheap" joysticks out there is the Thrustmaster T.16000M. It holds up well, is pretty accurate and smooth feeling. Downside is there are not enough buttons.

CH joystick is crap since the buyout. Quality has gone way down and you will go through a half dozen of them in the time you would have gone through a single one of the old sticks. The pedals and the throttle still hold up ok.

Logitex X55 or X56 series. Decent sticks with good feel. Throttle is smooth with a good feel, not just sliding loose like the CH throttle. There is a slight tension which just makes it seem like your working a control. I had a X55 for a while and the axises were good and never gave me any trouble I did have issues with a lot of buttons.

Saitek, you dont hear too much about these any more. A low end stick/throttle combo that use to have power problems, but I dont know if they still do.

Thrustmaster Warthog. Excellent mid/upper range stick. Very smooth, lots of buttons. I've had mine for years with out issue. Some say the spring tension is a bit heavy, but if you feel that way there is a guy in poland selling a lighter spring that is easy to swap out (I have just done this recently and like the feel) I hope to get the throttle some day, but my modded CH throttle is still doing the job.

VKB and Virpil are the top dogs these days. Well made, lots of buttons and options for sticks and mount systems. Down side is they are very had to get..... as well as being expensive.

Personally I have CH Pedals, a CH throttle (added a single side of "velcro" to the slide to get some tension to the action) and a Warthog joystick with the softer spring)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 09:53:04 AM »
I've been doing some of my own research this morning and the Warthog stick and throttles has a certain appeal for sure.  As far as the heavy spring as I recall one of my problems back in the day was I was a bit heavy handed on the stick. 

I had $300 budgeted for each component and I've heard a lot about CH quality dropping which is a bummer.  I really loved my old set up but it's been long enough away I can just get used to something new and different. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 04:55:16 PM »
A heavy hand on the stick can snap a warthog base. Ask me how I know.  :D 

I think the Virpil stick base is perfect, they have 10% off now on their website.

The Saitek rudder pedals I've used all spiked. The Thrustmaster TPM pedals are nice but huge and expensive.

Dual throttles are nice. Saitek throttles spike a little.

Start with a nice stick and base and good rudder pedals. If that blows your budget get the throttle base later. Use a cheap throttle gang for now, that can be trim later. Throttle needs to work but not as well as stick and pedals.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 05:32:25 PM »
A heavy hand on the stick can snap a warthog base. Ask me how I know.  :D 

I think the Virpil stick base is perfect, they have 10% off now on their website.

The Saitek rudder pedals I've used all spiked. The Thrustmaster TPM pedals are nice but huge and expensive.

Dual throttles are nice. Saitek throttles spike a little.

Start with a nice stick and base and good rudder pedals. If that blows your budget get the throttle base later. Use a cheap throttle gang for now, that can be trim later. Throttle needs to work but not as well as stick and pedals.

I'll give it a look sir.  What are your thoughts about going all Thrustmaster?  I could get used to that throttle set up but the pedals look a tad pedestrian to me.   

On a side note.. we did a fit check for my gaming desktop today and it was perfect.  I have a friend that is into that kind of stuff and he's making me a setup for my GTplayer recliner that will sit in the cup holders for support (foam inserts for stability) and it's coming along nicely. Can't wait until he gets finished.  It's going to be so sweet.  And the best part?  It might cost me $50 if he's feeling greedy that day. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 09:53:58 PM »
I like Virpil. I wouldn't buy another Thrustmaster Warthog base but the throttle is good. I haven't used the other TM models. The main thing you need is a good stick that doesn't spike. The advantage to something like the Virpil is that it won't wear out like a less expensive setup. I don't know what's best for you and your budget. If you also want a good FFB driving wheel they are expensive but direct drive is very nice.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 12:38:09 AM »
So if someone walked up and handed you $600 to $700 for a stick, throttle, and pedal, set up what would you buy brand new out of the box.

I use Virpil (Grip Base throttle rudder) Winwing (Take off + Combat Panels) Thrustmaster (MFDs) With Virpil I don't think you can get a stick base and throttle for $700 or less, Great Gear but very expensive I can recommend them if you have the money for them.

However trying to keep it under $700 or less I would say winwing Orion2 HOTAS MAX which goes for less than a warthog ... is better than a Warthog and gives you $200 left for rudder pedals, for which I would recommend the VKP pedals if you do not need toe brakes .... If you want Toe brakes and you don't want cheap CH, Thrustmaster, or Logitech plastic pedals I would have to say MFG crosswinds or Virpil Ace pedals (Flight or Interceptor depending on taste I have the Ace collection and can do both configurations).

"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 01:04:03 PM »
interesting food for thought.  Might set me back a month or so though.