Author Topic: Air conditioning is now evil  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Air conditioning is now evil
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2022, 09:35:52 AM »
I have seen suggestions to turn your thermostats up to 78. What do yall think of this.

In our shop we have always kept them at 78 as our main goal is to lower humidity. We have four 20 ton Tranes on the shop. Helps keep the machining, fabrication, and welding area tolerable. At home I keep it on 72. Our 2 dogs stay inside during the heat of the day.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2022, 09:37:43 AM »
Just look at all of these areas where "systemic racism" is supposedly happening and generally the leadership of that area has been controlled by the same people for decades, many of them today are controlled by "people of color" who use their own people as pawns for their agenda. When are people going to learn.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2022, 09:43:24 AM »
I have seen suggestions to turn your thermostats up to 78. What do yall think of this.

In our shop we have always kept them at 78 as our main goal is to lower humidity. We have four 20 ton Tranes on the shop. Helps keep the machining, fabrication, and welding area tolerable. At home I keep it on 72. Our 2 dogs stay inside during the heat of the day.

Humidity is a major factor in being totally uncomfortable. It's usually not that hot where I live here in Southern California but it gets very humid. Like if it's 85° outside and 60 70% humidity it feels miserable to me.

My new mini split air conditioner does it really good job of keeping the humidity lower in my place. I keep it at 75° for now and it just does a great job. Since my place is very limited in where I could install the air handler, I had to install it in a less than ideal location as far as airflow goes, but that thing still cools everything down.

As far as suggesting that people keep their thermostats at 78 degrees? I think that everybody will be different and that they can decide on their own what makes them feel comfortable and what they can afford. I don't think people are so stupid that they need to be told that when they keep their thermostats lower it cost them more money and uses more energy. Lol
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2022, 09:44:19 AM »
A/c gets cranked down to 70 nightly to minimize the wifes night sweats..

It will take the marines to pull that thermostat out of her grasp lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2022, 09:44:28 AM »
Just look at all of these areas where "systemic racism" is supposedly happening and generally the leadership of that area has been controlled by the same people for decades, many of them today are controlled by "people of color" who use their own people as pawns for their agenda. When are people going to learn.

Rather asinine post.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »
A/c gets cranked down to 70 nightly to minimize the wifes night sweats..

It will take the marines to pull that thermostat out of her grasp lol

Eagler

I get night sweats and hot flashes as well. That's not fun at all.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2022, 09:55:09 AM »
One of my secretaries keeps her apartment at 65. Her husband freezes.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »
And they say women are usually ones that are cold. Lol!

The hot flashes caused by menopause can last many years. You feel like you're burning up, but then when you wake up with sweat all over your neck and chest you are freezing. It's not good for sleep or anything else. Lol

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »
The best bedroom temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 19.4 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep.

Our bodies are programmed to experience a slight dip in core temperature in the evening. Turning the thermostat down at night may help with temperature regulation and signal your body that it’s time for bed.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »

My point is strictly that the media loves to tie in things like climate change to race. The constant racial divisions that are made up and constantly droned into everyone.

Dude, what do you not get? I and the article have already explained how the two are related. It is not a direct link but a byproduct. It has to do with low-income housing and the nature of power companies. Ask yourself, how can a $20k income family spend more in power per month than an $80k income family? When you get your answer, you should arrive at the link between systemic racism in our country's past and global warming. If you do, then you can decide if you agree or disagree with the link. The facts are indisputable, but there is a socioeconomic theory in there that you'd have to subscribe to. If you don't, I can't help you any more. You just simply do not have enough background knowledge or lack the ability to think critically to have this conversation.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:15:43 AM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »
Sorry if facts get in the way of your narrative

Eagler

Actually, the facts I have laid out in this conversation are either being ignored or not understood to fit gg's narrative of "everything is about race and it is bad."
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »
I never said but everything was about race. That article sure is though. in a ridiculous matter.

Have acknowledged your points.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2022, 10:12:13 AM »
I grew up in Texas without air conditioning. I was outside almost all of the time in the summer. It was hot. You'll get my a/c when you pry it from my COLD dead fingers.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2022, 10:15:30 AM »
It is like historical causality. If you subscribe to a certain methodology, you'd agree that the fall of Constantinople indirectly led to Age of Exploration. If I wrote a thesis that said "The Fall of Constantinople led to the American colonies being founded;" if you read that and took it at face value, as you have done with the A/C racism article, you'd say that's ridiculous. But, there is a link and the facts in that chain are indisputable, I am just arguing that because the Ottomans dominated trade in Arabia and Europe, European nations needed a new route around the Ottomans to trade via. That began the search for the Northwest passage and the opening of African, Indian, and Pacific markets. All because the Ottoman Empire was dominant in Eurasia.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2022, 10:15:33 AM »
I grew up in Texas without air conditioning. I was outside almost all of the time in the summer. It was hot. You'll get my a/c when you pry it from my COLD dead fingers.

Hi, iron!

How have you been? You should come join ICOM.

I worked outside for many years in Arizona. It was brutal   and I dreded the onset of summer every year