Author Topic: How slow speed turn-fighting dominated hit and run in WWII  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
Re: How slow speed turn-fighting dominated hit and run in WWII
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 09:36:46 PM »
  Thank you nopoop! Much appreciated.

And on that other site, the discussion continued...:

A participant said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no possible way that any 109 had "better situational awareness" potential than any FW-190. Have you ever seen the cockpits of those two types? The 109s were incredibly cramped, had ZERO view to 6:00, and to boot had a heavy, square lid that closed over the fuselage, "coffin style". The FW-190s had bubble canopies and a rear/head armor that conformed, roughly to the shape of the man. It didn't protect the pilot as well, but it was infinitely easier to see out of a Wuerger than an Emil, Friedrich, Gustav or Kurfirst.

When you're considering all these combat reports and disputing the contention that many combat fatalities never saw what hit them, did you perhaps consider that these victims .... **never filed combat reports** to report that they got caught unawares? Reports were full of losses attributed to "Tail End Charlie" who was there just a minute ago, before the "furball" ever started.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The victors did write their reports, so they did see what those who did not come back had done...

The roll rate was really of only secondary importance in combat.

The most fundamental rule of turn fighting in WWII was that, once committed to a turn fight, to never reverse your turn. Lt. Col. Horace C Craig, P-47 ace,  observed (Osprey 8th fighter command at war, "Long Reach", P.31): "Once a turn is started, it is of the utmost importance to never reverse your turn. It has been my observation that a great majority of the victories of my unit were made good when the Hun reversed his turn."

I can concur that, in the thousands of combat accounts I read, I would not exactly call it a majority, but it was certainly an inevitable kill once that mistake was made. 

At 300 mph a Spitfire Mk XIV (which peaked at 220 mph at 40 degrees per second to the right, 50 to the left) was down to less than 30 degrees per second of roll... Around 20 at 400 mph... The Fw-190A was at 180 degrees at 300, the Me-109G being around 80-90 degrees (similar to a Spitfire Mk V at 220, the peak roll speed on all Spitfires)... 

Because of the wing's thinness and flexibility, to avoid roll reversal, the Spitfire's stick was broken in half to hinge laterally, for roll control only, this in order to rob the pilot of the leverage to twist his wings... Did this make the Mark XIV a poor fighter? It didn't help, but it wasn't that big of a deal...

Concerning Richard Bong, he did not die in a P-38 "in the jungle", but while test flying a P-80 in the USA on August 6 1945. It was second ranking P-38 ace Thomas Mcguire who died in the jungle on January 7 1945, by turning at low altitude while carrying two drop tanks. It was claimed (from in-theater sources I consider reliable) that the sortie of 4 aircrafts was not part of any official USAAF request, but was apparently an attempt to increase his personal score to become #1...

As to the FW-190A vs Me-109G cockpit, everything written about this is devoid of any serious first hand knowledge (mostly aging Allied pilots seated in Me-109 cockpits on the ground)... First of all, the Me-109G cockpit was far less restrictive in head movement than that of the normal "flat" FW-190A hood: Because of its triangular cross-section, the flat FW-190A hood literally prevented any broad side to side movement of the head(!). This was massively improved in the "blown" hood of the later 190 models, but the "blown" hood mounted on radial engine versions represented less than 10% of the 20 000 radial FW-190s made. The flat hood was also present on several FW-190D-9, though probably less than 5% of the 1700 built.

Because of this triangular fuselage cross-section (in the up-down direction, but also in plan view front to back), the vision to the sides and down was inferior on the FW-190A to the Me-109G. The FW-190A had a cockpit sill width of 628 mm to the Me-109G's 625 mm at the rear of the windscreen, but what this overlooks is that while the Me-109G's cockpit was of constant width at 625 mm, the FW-190A's cockpit width narrowed about 3 to 4 inches going back, so minus 75 to 100 mm, giving a shoulder width space of about 550 mm at the actual pilot shoulder position. At least 75 mm less than the Me-109G (the 190 canopy had a hinge in the middle to narrow laterally as it slid back).

Furthermore, the FW-190A cockpit had consoles that reduced space around the body and under the elbows. The Me-109G proved it could seat successful combat pilots that were nearly two meters tall (a Fin ace was 1.95 m). Both had seats that were adjustable in height to 3 positions on the ground, and so could take tall pilots, provided (in the FW-190's case) that they were not very broad shouldered or fat... The recently built Fluegwerke 190 full size replicas builders noted that the FW-190's cockpit room was much more restrictive in lateral head, shoulder and arms movements than in the Me-109, which might have affected pilot comfort.

Because of the opaque armor plate, the view to the rear in the FW-190A made little difference, but its canopy did come down to nearly the elbows, compared to the shoulders on the Me-109, so it certainly had a much more "airy" feel because of this... However, the lateral view was not really any better on the 190, especially with the pilot being seated so close to the windscreen, and due to the overall triangular section. To the front, the FW-190A windscreen probably had a better view due to refraction (which most simulators fail to replicate).

It is not true either that the Spitfire had a lot more room to accommodate taller pilots, being quite short on leg room, and, in terms of secondary controls, the ergonomic design of the Spitfire cockpit was a mess, like most Allied aircrafts, while the Me-109's cockpit was excellent from a to z. The FW-190 cockpit could be termed passable, although the lower rows of instruments was hidden from view, and the laid-back seating position was deemed less comfortable than the more upright angle of the Me-109.

This laid back seating position is an especially bad point, in that it was meant to allow high G turn maneuvers, which the FW-190 proved to suck balls at, being an excellent slow speed turn-fighter at around 3 Gs, to the point of being a one-trick pony at this. Russian "Red Fleet" Feb 8, 1943":
"The FW-190A will inevitably offer turning combat at a minimum speed."

Noise and vibrations are also factors of pilot comfort, and affect visibility and pilot attention. Despite this, I still consider that the FW-190A was a superior low altitude air superiority fighter to the Me-109G, but could we please lay to rest the idea the Me-109 had a bad, cramped, low-visibility cockpit?

Most Me-109 pilots, especially the aces, preferred sticking with the 109, after flying the 190. For low altitude combat it was a bad idea, but some insisted on it.

Incidentally, tactics on the Eastern Front were radically different to those on the Western Front (where FW-190As represented 70% of the frontline strength by late 1944): One Luftwaffe pilot describes an Eastern Front Me-109 ace (a high ranking ace probably, since he was flying a Me-109G6AS with MW-50, the fanciest stuff) that had recently arrived on the Western front, and overheard him say "in the case of a bounce, pull up". Hearing this (just this, nothing more!) he promptly took the ace aside and told him: "Here on the Western Front, it is different: You always turn, no matter what."

The man ignored his advice, and was promptly killed for that very reason... I can source this from the "In defense of the Reich" series, but I would have to look for my copy for the specific title. Another officer was quoted as saying, in the same series: "All the Eastern Front aces that were brought to me were shot down on the Western Front."

The Western Front was definitely a turn-fighting front, and apparently that took some getting used to compared to the Eastern Front... This is when you realize how much vague generalities are little more than misinformation, which make up nearly all of this area of interest. I know of no other domain where this is worse, or where the generally accepted notions are so exactly opposite to the truth.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:47:18 PM by Gaston »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 09:56:04 PM »
Reversing your turn when you're under the bandit's nose is a good idea. Reversing early is the problem.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 07:15:28 AM »
Thanks for posting.  Gives me some ideas for trying some new techniques.  :aok
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 07:40:07 AM »
Was that you or Lusche who made a post with images ("ghost planes") showing how latency works?  I know it's here somewhere but unable to find via search.

Reversing your turn when you're under the bandit's nose is a good idea. Reversing early is the problem.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 08:38:47 AM »
I think that was Lusche, I know it wasn't me.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 12:56:28 PM »
Was that you or Lusche who made a post with images ("ghost planes") showing how latency works?  I know it's here somewhere but unable to find via search.

Yes it was Lusche who posted the 2 pix from 2 players and what each saw,might be in one of the many collision damage threads.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 01:12:13 PM »
Just learn  BFM, ACM AND all the aspects of Situational Awareness SA ......Then Train and train and train and never stop....even in the ma, you are basically practicing for All of the special events! Where all that training you've been doing really counts!

Train like you Fight, Fight like you Train! WORD!

As TC says, learn, train, and practice.  BFM/ACM skills are perishable and will deteriorate rapidly without constant practice.  Scissors are very effective in causing an opponent to overshoot but, require a lot of practice, and perfect timing.  Practicing scissors against different aircraft in a training arena is invaluable in gaining the site picture and timing to consistently turn the tables on an opponent.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 01:13:10 AM »
  Scissors... Lol... Yes that was a big part of WWII tactics... :D See below...

More quotes from another thread related to this...:

I will always contend it is the man sitting in the pilot’s seat that makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, but that amounts to saying there is no way to know anything...

Clostermann, in the above linked interview, identified gunnery as the largest difference between fighter pilots. He felt he could not hit anything beyond 15 degrees of deflection, and consequently had to constantly scramble to get there. Yet some of the upper echelon Germans could go as high as 45-90 degrees, and he felt, because of this, that they were simply better avoided than confronted...

Going below the exceptional cases, average pilots, between themselves, made a smaller difference than their doctrine and training, which was in part based on the type they flew. In the FW-190A's case, its high speed handling was so poor compared to its excellent low speed handling that most German pilots were "forced" to use horizontal turn fighting tactics, as the type was extremely poor for so-called "vertical fighting" (regardless of what sea of nonsense Eric Brown said about this). Hence the Russian observation that, at lower altitudes (Red Fleet Feb.1943): "They interact in the following manner: The Me-109s stay at a higher altitude, performing dive and zoom attacks, while the FW-190s, flying at a lower altitude, will inevitably offer turning combat at a minimum speed." This remained true throughout the War, and can be observed during "Boddenplatte".

The problem was, the German combat doctrine appeared generally opposed to turn fighting as a tactic (as was most of the rest of the World since at least the mid-30s, including the Japanese Navy), and as a result most German pilots lacked the basic understanding of how turn-fighting should be implemented, even if their aircraft (like the FW-190A) required it... One of the most basic rules of turn fighting was that, once you were engaged, you NEVER reversed your turn: German pilots were notorious among Allied pilots for routinely making that basic mistake. To not know this meant that your formal understanding of the geometry of turn fighting was basically next to zero...

One of the first clues I read of this was in the above "Red Fleet" article, which puts it into odd psychological terms: "German pilots are unable to withstand tense turning battles of any duration, and will always try to put an end to them too early. Because of this, you must never hesitate to engage them in a turning battle."

Lt. Col. Horace C Craig, P-47 ace, observed (Osprey 8th fighter command at war, "Long Reach", P.31): "Once a turn is started, it is of the utmost importance to NEVER reverse your turn. It has been my observation that a great majority of the victories of my unit were made good when the Hun reversed his turn."

Maj. Robert Elder, 350th FS, 24 March 1945, (Likely P-51D, but no serial written): "With this top cover to encourage me, I managed to out-turn another FW-190, and, just as I was at about 30 degrees angle off, this Jerry reversed his turn (they are stupid that way), and I latched on to his tail at about 100 yards range. I got strikes all over the plane, and he caught fire in the air and crashed burning. (As I was shooting the above FW-190 down, another FW-190 got on to me and Lt. Col. Bliekenstaff came down and shot him off.)"

So, if he had waited a little longer before reversing, he had a potential rescue underway...: This is one of the reasons you never reversed your turn, even if losing. Hartmann had devised a way out, which consisted of nosing down into an outside loop, right at the moment he was hidden under the opponent's cowl, as the pursuer tried to get deflection. Split-essing meant your wingtip showed above the cowl, which usually ruined this "disappearing trick"...

Capt. Glendon V. Davis, 364th FS, 357 FG, (P-51B vs FW-190A) March 8 1944: "I turned into him and he swung around, almost getting on the tail of Lt. Smith, following me. I called to him to put down flaps and turn with him, as I had 20 degrees myself. We went around five or six times with the issue very much in doubt. I couldn't get quite enough deflection to nail him, though I was firing short bursts trying to get him to roll out, which he was too smart to do."

Again, an Allied pilot well aware that rolling out is a grave mistake, and well aware that this is not common knowledge among German pilots, and trying to exploit this gap in knowledge... Again, the geometry behind this is so basic, it means that to not know this is to know virtually nothing about turning combat. Which is certainly a flaw in the way German training was implemented, probably giving more emphasis on speed than turning.

Beyond a poor ability to execute the turns (a FW-190A should have little trouble dealing, horizontally at low altitudes, with a P-51B, especially after 6 turns[!], unless equipped as a "Sturmbocke"), this widespread tendency to roll-out suggests that German air combat doctrine remained wedded to speed and hit and run vertical maneuvers way too late in the War, ignoring the difficulties of high angle gunnery for most low time pilots. Since their ace leaders were old hands who were capable of high deflection gunnery, it seems they had little interest in imparting different techniques, more adapted to their lower skill underlings. In other words, those experienced aces were probably the worst teachers, and the deference of their "pupils" meant they could not learn on their own. 

To be fair, I suspect the theoretical situation on the Allied side was just as hostile to turn fighting as the Germans were (the "death of dogfighting" mantra had been going on for a decade at least), but there was a lot more initiative, feedback and sharing of information among the lower tier Allied pilots, and this allowed more practical knowledge to spread quietly and "unofficially", which is why Historians still think the Allied won the War with speed and hit and run(!): If you interview only the top aces, that is indeed the picture you are likely to get.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:27:07 AM by Gaston »

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 01:14:37 AM »
  Another quote from another thread:

Is the danger of reversing a turn the amount of time that it takes to roll wings level then continue rolling into a turn the other way? I thought that one of the advantages of the early FW 190 over the Spitfire was roll rate. It could roll into a turn or split S to escape much faster than the Spitfire. Maybe they were trying to reverse their turn to take advantage of the 190s perceived roll rate over the American fighters.
I'm not sure how Hartman could transition from a high G turn into an outside loop. Maybe I'm reading that wrong. I'm just trying to picture that in my head.
I know there are several reports of German fighter pilots performing a split S out of a turn too low and hitting the air/ground interface.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

When considering the FW-190A, which could roll at 180 degrees per second, peaking at around 280 mph, and the Spitfire Mark IX, which could only do 50 degrees at a peak of 220 mph (the Mark XIV being even worse at 40 degrees), one would think the chances for the 190 to get away with a roll-out would indeed be greater in that particular match-up.

Despite this, I have not found any account where this clearly happened. The closest indirect allusion I found was, I think, in "Spitfire: The Canadians", where one pilot mentions: "The Spitfire Mark IX had a slower rate of roll than most other fighters, and this had to be kept in mind when going up against the FW-190A."

That's it.

Already, against a Spitfire Mk V (in wide service well into 1944, often with clipped wings), the margin would be less, since it peaked at around 80 degrees per second at 220 (perhaps 90-100 at 250 clipped). Maybe, at very high speeds, a reversal would work against a Mark IX being down to 30 degrees per second (the Spitfire's control stick being broken in half for rolls, to rob the pilot of the leverage to twist his thin wings).

However, at high speeds, the FW-190 no longer turned well at all, and especially not to the right (from its more common left turn), so such a reversal would not be of much use at high speed, where the Spitfire rolled the slowest, but still turned very well. A more frequently mentioned tactic for the FW-190 was that it stalled itself in high speed turns, to drop itself suddenly under the cowl view. This is often mentioned, perhaps in the wake of Eric Brown, but less common in encounter accounts, and it would be hard to say, the few times it does happen, if it was deliberate or not...

The basic geometry problem of reversed turns is that, as you initiate your reversed turn, the pursuing aircraft will usually succeed in initiating his turn at a point behind your own reversal point, which means that if a 90 degree quarter of a turn has a depth of say 500 feet, and the following aircraft was 600 feet behind, and reversed its bank in 300 feet, then its own quarter radius requirement to get a perfect 0 angle shot is now 500 + 300 feet: 800 feet...

So unless your 90 degree turn requirement is much better than 300 feet shorter than your pursuer, which is an enormous 60% difference (unlikely), the pursuer will inevitably get a perfect zero angle line astern shot. In that case, the hit rate is certainly not the usual gunnery average of 1-2%, but more like 10-30% or more...

Even if, as you follow through the turn, you subsequently gain, no aircraft will survive in good shape even a short stint of zero deflection fire. Which is why it was much better to continue turning, eventually spiralling down or up, to keep generating angles no matter what.

As to the Hartman "escape maneuver", I said an outside loop for clarity, but it was more likely just a vertical dive engaged by suddenly pushing on the stick, then rolling 180 degrees to pull up upright in the opposite direction. Since the point of firing for the enemy would have been after more than one or two circles, the speed would not have been much higher than 200 mph, which probably made the negative Gs quite tolerable.

The problem with this method is that it required waiting for the exact moment the enemy was ready to fire, not before, and of course not after. I would add that it might have required keeping the circle a little broader than the opponent (compensating with higher speed), so that, for the pursuer, getting a correct lead buried you a little deeper under his cowl... This broader but faster turn implies not down-throttling in the way Karhila describes. Only Hartmann mentioned this trick, so it must have been difficult to pull off. (He did like MW-50 boost, the only German pilot I read to say this, so he probably kept his power high in combat, which could be a reflection of his entire style, and of his ability to hit at high speeds)

Interestingly, by far the most common mention of the target being obscured by the cowl, at the moment of firing, is from the P-47, as the nose is long, broad, and (quite rare among WWII fighters) has virtually no downslope to help vision forward and down. In most cases, especially with the Razorback against the Me-109G in early 1944 (less so against the Bubbletop, which did not turn as well), the P-47 is making a noticeably smaller radius (at all altitudes, but only to the left) than the Me-109G, which makes it gain easily in left turns, as much as 90 degrees per turn(!!)... The downside is that the target is often "buried" at the moment of firing, because of the P-47's smaller turn radius, which tells me the Me-109G is certainly not using the Karhila trick of reducing power for a reduced radius (or partial flaps, which it could, unlike the P-47's blown flaps).

This lack of flaps and down-throttling probably explains why the 109 was so badly out-turned in the first place. In about 800 encounter reports, the 109 being out-turned very rapidly is actually surprisingly representative of the majority of P-47 Razorback vs Me-109G combats (in early '44 at least), the Razorback typically reversing a tailing Me-109G in 4-5 turns, which is like a 70-90 degree gain per circle, all the way down to the deck. (Virtually no hit and run combat is to be seen from the Razorback, only turn fighting, hit and run being much more common to see from the 109)

Turning is noticeably more equal between the P-51B (or D) and the Me-109G (in 900 encounter reports on Mike William's site), which tells me the P-51 certainly does not turn as well as the P-47, and this was sort of distantly confirmed in the 1989 testing by the SETP (Society of Experimental Test Pilots), where the P-47D Bubbletop was found to be slightly more maneuverable, notably 180 turns being 9.5 seconds to the P-51D's 10 seconds. It's not much but it is there, and for the Bubbletop on top of that...

I do think the poor 109G turn performance vs the P-47 is not representative of actual Me-109G turn performance, but instead reflects the lack of Luftwaffe emphasis on turn fighting training on that particular type... The P-47D finds in the FW-190A a much tougher customer in sustained low speed turns (and in fact often loses), yet I no longer feel this is because the difference between the FW-190A and the Me-109G is that large (it is there, just not that large): I now think FW-190A pilots turned better simply because the characteristics of their aircraft left them with NO choice but to learn to use low-speed turns in combat. The FW-190 being much more of a one-trick pony compared to the Me-109.

But that one trick was in fact the most important trick to have, hence, even with just that (plus the firepower), the FW-190A was still superior to the far more rounded Me-109G at lower altitudes. At altitudes above 20 000 feet the Me-109G became superior to the FW-190A in all respects, including turning, which is why it could not be replaced, and was in fact complemented by the 190.

Gunther Rall said of this (and this is the actual wording concerning the actual blades): "They complemented one another. The Me-109 was like a rapier, the Fw-190 was like a saber."

Rapiers were used mainly as straight-trusting stabbing weapons, while cavalry sabres were curved, and used mainly in broad curving edge-forward swings, then pulling back to make the curved edge slice.

If one aspect of the aircraft was emphasized at the expense of the other in training, it would explain why the difference in turning performance between the Me-109 and the FW-190 was more stereotyped in practice than what the airframes actually offered. It would also explain why Me-109s in late 1943-early 1944 turn very little or very badly, and then seem to turn better in later '44: The hit and run dogma was gradually losing its grip, even on the 109.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:26:20 AM by Gaston »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 07:30:10 AM »
Reversing your turn is not a scissors maneuver per se.

Reversing your turn was used in the Thach weave in WW2.

It's still used, it's called the Beam defense now.

Gaston imagines what flying and A2A gunnery is like. We simulate it and have different opinions.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 07:57:30 AM »
I think that was Lusche, I know it wasn't me.

You're welcome

Cut-n-paste for teh slooowww types.

Tangle's external from his front end the moment of impact.

(Image removed from quote.)

Same basic angle external, tangle's view from my front end moment of impact.

(Image removed from quote.)

How would you feel taking damage looking at your film and seeing tangles front end view, hmmmmmm?

I know I'd be pretty POed.

Bronk

Edit: This also works nicely for the "none should take damage" people.

Yea I should be able to put the nose of my ac through another.:furious :furious :furious :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Look it over and let it sink in.
2 different films of the same collision. You will have 2 different times stamps on the moment of impact.

Click on "image removed "to show screenshots.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:59:44 AM by knorB »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2022, 11:21:00 PM »
thanks!

You're welcome

Click on "image removed "to show screenshots.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 08:41:44 AM »
no problem.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2022, 09:58:47 AM »
Those same Japanese aces used boom and zoom once they had planes capable of it.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »
The Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr1 should have stuck around for WW2. They were slow and turned on a dime.