Author Topic: Do you miss the Old Days? Before the internet. Before cell phones?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do you miss the Old Days? Before the internet. Before cell phones?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2022, 07:23:39 PM »
I'm so old I remember my Dad used to give me a couple of bucks to ride my bike to the 7-11 and get him a pack of Marlborough Lights and I could buy a cherry slurpie with the change.

And the guy behind the counter never blinked an eye about it.

I was asked for ID Friday. the girl looked like she was 12. she was embarrassed but register asked for proof of age.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2022, 05:50:49 AM »
As a tech for years, I  saw a few friends that were still in the field lose their jobs once they install gps in the trucks

Big brother didn't approve of all their travels even though it didn't affect job performance or productivity

Glad I missed that "improvement "

Eagler

Roflmao....hahaha

Back when I was living and working in Florida.

They hit me up one morning on nextel and asked where was I

My response was you know exactly where I am,  I am on my way to Tampa  and Clearwater Florida and running nearly 100 mph,  which you are watching the PC 🖥 and it's showing my marker for my vehicle, where I am and how fast I am going....

They replied, yes we see it....be careful and have a good day...hahaha

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2022, 07:05:30 AM »
While on call for that mds outfit in the late 70's early 80's we didn't have a dispatch..

To get calls on the weekend and after hours you called the service number where the customers called and left a message with their problem..

To retrieve your calls you would ask to borrow their phone and dial the service number..

While the recorded message played you had to put this extra large looking beeper speaker up to the phone mouthpiece and push a button to start a very loud and steady tone which would interrupt the default message and rewind the messages the customers left about their tv issues..

If it didn't rewind back far enough - to the messages you'd heard you'd have to send the tone again..

From that setup to beepers and beyond..glad I went from the field to software development in 2000..don't miss the 24/7 on call for cable outages but the on call pay with almost unlimited overtime paided the bills back in the day

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2022, 01:09:39 PM »
I grew up during the fifties.  It's hard to believe now when people have their cell phones in hand every minute of the day.  during the fifties and 60s when the phone rang during daylight hours no one wanted to answer the dam thing.  Especially during the evening when the family was being entertained by actual entertainment on the TV.  "Someone answer the phone!"  "You get it!"  Nope.

Today we are bombarded by noise.  Advertisements, spam and false news from every angle.  If you believe the information passed around on the internet I advise you to get help.

In the early 80s' I purchased two cell phones.  My first one actually.  The only reason I did was because my father was ill.  Both phones had separate numbers. This would give our father the ability to get in touch with me in case of emergency. Today I still have my cell phone and the only ones that have my number are the ones that I wish to communicate with.

In essence I use it as a phone only.

So ya!  I miss those days.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2022, 01:53:47 PM »
Hajo, that would put you close to my dad's age.

You got in pretty early on those cell phones. Did you have the Motorola brick phones? Do you remember what you paid to have those? I remember how expensive those plans were. Pay by the minute and very few people could afford those.

I remember installing some of the very first car phones that were available to the general public. Big transceivers that had to be mounted in a trunk usually. Giant data cable that had to be run up to the handset and another very thick cable that had to be run directly to the car's battery..

When I was a kid I remember the same deal with the telephone. No one wanted to answer it. Especially when it might have been your work trying to call your stupid teenage butt into cover somebody else's stupid teenage butt. Lol!

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2022, 01:55:40 PM »
I just looked up the price of the original Motorola brick phone. $3,995 back in 1983. That's more than $10,000 today

Then you had the pay by the minute service plan. Very expensive!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »
Motorola bad cell phone was first cell phone I used in 94/95

Better than nothing but felt more like a fancy leash..

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2022, 02:39:03 PM »
The talk time on those original brick phones was only 30 minutes and they took 10 hours to charge.

They were 1/10 of a watt in power I believe. Then they had this bag phone that had a big battery in it that was a quarter of a lot of power which was the same as what a carphone would be

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2022, 02:41:00 PM »
Actually I got that wrong. The brick phone had one watt of power and those bag phones and regular car phone had 5 Watts.

Today's digital phones have at a maximum I believe 1/10 of a watt but they vary their power output hundreds of times per second so that they can share bandwidth with all the other phones.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2022, 03:24:56 PM »
The talk time on those original brick phones was only 30 minutes and they took 10 hours to charge.

They were 1/10 of a watt in power I believe. Then they had this bag phone that had a big battery in it that was a quarter of a lot of power which was the same as what a carphone would be

30 if you were lucky.  yesterday I was on a call for 5 1/2 hours. thank God I got 3 phones. none of them had more than 20 percent battery.

semp

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2022, 04:37:50 PM »
One good phone will suffice today. You can get more cheap phones but they will not do what a good phone will do. LOL

Heck I noticed the wifi speed in my truck yesterday was 436 mbps. Not bad for a mobile wifi.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 05:08:33 PM »
I like having a good phone. I was just forced to upgrade to an s22 ultra plus 5G after my Note 10 plus started dropping service all over the place suddenly. And then when I got the s22 my Note 10 suddenly started to work again. LOL

But I won't buy a phone just to buy the latest phone. When I do need to get a phone I will usually buy one of the top-tier phones though.

Even though my company gave me a work phone, it's an older iPhone and I can't stand it. So for most functions I use my Android phone. Things like submitting pictures, email and most of my phone calls. Also using the internet.

I don't understand how people can be such Fanboys of apple. I do not like their built-in apps and I really can't stand the fact that they make you sign into their app store with a code.

To me everything seems like more of a pain in the butt. It might just be that it's a few years old, but I can't stand that stupid iphone. Even the tiny little screen and the functions of the email or even the typing you have to change screens to get to the numbers or special characters. Nothing works intuitively.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:26:32 PM by -gg- »

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2022, 03:06:09 AM »
I miss the times when people were using their brains.   

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2022, 03:32:16 AM »
I miss the times when people were using their brains.   

(Image removed from quote.)

a phone could be a tool to use your brain. or you can just complain.

semp

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »
The phone today is a hand held computer used to distract one from everything else..talking on it is secondary

Eagler