Author Topic: So what are your thoughts on this rig?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: So what are your thoughts on this rig?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 07:23:58 PM »
Well it will set me back about 3 weeks but I decided to go with the upgrade to the 3080 card machine.  I could pull the trigger today but, based on all the advice I've received, I'd rather get in with something I'm comfortable can carry me a couple of years until I both bank enough money for and have enough comfort to build my own rig which I plan on being one bad beast. 

Thanks for all the advice and help gang <S> 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 08:04:58 PM »
Dicho, watch some utube on how to build a pc. It's not that difficult, it can save you a bunch of money, you get all the stuff you want, and none of the bs you don't. Personally, I would never buy a pc from Newegg, Dell, HP, etc.

I don't know why people get so intimidated about building a pc. Today. if you can screw in a light bulb you can probably build a pc. With $1500, you can build a pretty nice gaming rig. JayZTwoCents, Gamers Nexus, Paul's Hardware, and Hardware Unboxed, as do others have good how to's on the subject.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 10:45:12 AM »
Sik I know my limitations.  I could eff up a football bat.  I'm going to dump some $$ in getting what I need and want right now with a warranty then I'm going to start buying pieces to build what I really want for the future. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 11:21:26 AM »
For what it's worth, a machine with a 3080 will last a long bellybutton time in the video game world.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 06:05:30 PM »
works for me Spikes.  Gives me plenty of time to learn how to build and build well.  It's just a new discipline for me and right now I'm trying to sort out this companies customer service issues.  I'm about 3 weeks away from getting their doo doo in one sock after close to a year getting there and I really can't afford the distraction. 

That said now that I'm single again and don't have to worry about any kind of BS 'wife ack' I want to get back into the game as fast as I can but somewhat intelligently. 

Next year about mid year I figure I can start screwing around with money after I pay for my parents last cruise ever.  I'd rather dump 6k to see them have some fun one last time than waste away in an assisted living facility.  They were always there for me growing up and through my adult life in hard times.  To me you can look at 'payback' being a 'squeak' or an 'honor'.  I'm honored that out of their two children they asked me to be here in their final years.  And if it costs me a few zero's or a few months or years not buying what I want?  I'm totally cool with that.  Now granted I might have to 'bend' a law or two to get that kind of cash together.  But I'm cool with that too.  They're my parents.  I'll take the risk.  :)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 10:35:20 PM »
Next year about mid year I figure I can start screwing around with money after I pay for my parents last cruise ever.  I'd rather dump 6k to see them have some fun one last time than waste away in an assisted living facility.  They were always there for me growing up and through my adult life in hard times.  To me you can look at 'payback' being a 'squeak' or an 'honor'.  I'm honored that out of their two children they asked me to be here in their final years.  And if it costs me a few zero's or a few months or years not buying what I want?  I'm totally cool with that.  Now granted I might have to 'bend' a law or two to get that kind of cash together.  But I'm cool with that too.  They're my parents.  I'll take the risk.

Those of us of an age appreciate this kind of thinking, Dicho.  Good on you.

- oldman

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 04:10:33 AM »
Thanks Oldman.. coming from you sir that means a lot <S>

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 03:32:03 PM »
any of you guys seen a noticable difference between the 3070 and the 3080 cards?

Oh and yes in 2023 I'm going to be in here bugging you experts because I want to build a beast assed rig next year.  You've convinced me I can do it but I'm still going to grab one 'off the shelf' that will get me through for now. 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 05:42:52 PM »
Next year about mid year I figure I can start screwing around with money after I pay for my parents last cruise ever.  I'd rather dump 6k to see them have some fun one last time than waste away in an assisted living facility.  They were always there for me growing up and through my adult life in hard times.  To me you can look at 'payback' being a 'squeak' or an 'honor'.  I'm honored that out of their two children they asked me to be here in their final years.  And if it costs me a few zero's or a few months or years not buying what I want?  I'm totally cool with that.  Now granted I might have to 'bend' a law or two to get that kind of cash together.  But I'm cool with that too.  They're my parents.  I'll take the risk.  :)

You’re a stand up guy Dicho!   :salute  Obvious why your parents wanted you at the helm for them.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 08:09:53 AM »
any of you guys seen a noticable difference between the 3070 and the 3080 cards?

Oh and yes in 2023 I'm going to be in here bugging you experts because I want to build a beast assed rig next year.  You've convinced me I can do it but I'm still going to grab one 'off the shelf' that will get me through for now.

look at this link about graphic card performance:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

As for myself, I bought a 3080 12gig card, it performs between the 3080 and 308TI.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
Strix 3080 12GB here too. AH is no challenge for it whatsoever. I'm also in VR using a Reverb G2 at high res. But if this is all you're gonna play I'd say you don't need it. Especially if you're playing on a monitor. Save some bucks and aim for a lower tier 30 series. If you're into DCS or MSFS then yeah, definitely. Or wait a few months and see what happens with the 40 series cards. But the lower end models of those might not be available, so they say, until maybe next spring.

I'm also not one to build a new PC every couple of years because something new comes out. I figure this'll get me down the road a good ways before I HAVE to upgrade something. But keee-ripes! By the time that happens the way things are going a video card will have to have it's own nuclear power plant to run.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 07:36:59 PM »
Strix 3080 12GB here too. AH is no challenge for it whatsoever. I'm also in VR using a Reverb G2 at high res. But if this is all you're gonna play I'd say you don't need it. Especially if you're playing on a monitor. Save some bucks and aim for a lower tier 30 series. If you're into DCS or MSFS then yeah, definitely. Or wait a few months and see what happens with the 40 series cards. But the lower end models of those might not be available, so they say, until maybe next spring.

I'm also not one to build a new PC every couple of years because something new comes out. I figure this'll get me down the road a good ways before I HAVE to upgrade something. But keee-ripes! By the time that happens the way things are going a video card will have to have it's own nuclear power plant to run.

I'm going full on with a Quest 2. 

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2022, 07:39:07 PM »
You’re a stand up guy Dicho!   :salute  Obvious why your parents wanted you at the helm for them.

Thanks bro I try to be.  To my detriment often but you know what?  If I can look in the mirror every morning and say 'you did the best you could do'.  I can live with that as long as I'm not cutting myself bovine excrement 'slack'.

All of that said I do believe from what I've read the 3080 might be a bit of overkill on my end and I can live with that as I'm also planning on doing virtual office as a test bed for my company.  We're 95% work from home and I think VR is the wave of the future for WFH jobs.  So I want something I can put through it's paces and figure out the nuances of working within our system on it.  I've got our IT guys on board and foaming at the mouth to see what we can do together.  I could probably get the owner to cut me a check today but I'd rather do the proving on my own and if he wants to cut me a check down the road that's cool. 

Money doesn't really drive me.  If the last decade has taught me anything it has taught me that with my talents, capabilities, and my willingness to 'bend' a rule here and there money isn't really all that hard to get.  Ya just gotta knuckle down every now and then and suck it up to get what you want. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:43:59 PM by Dichotomy »