Author Topic: Setting up the new Reverb G2  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Setting up the new Reverb G2
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2022, 02:18:55 PM »
Yeah must be missing something. Don't run Steam manually for AH. In fact, make sure regular steam is closed out entirely---Steamvr and steam before starting AH. The versions will interfere with each other. That could do it. You shouldn't be seeing home at all.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2022, 02:58:47 PM »
Thanks Eagler!  After getting the correct VR Steam version loaded, I also selected the desktop DX II desktop icon, it asked the same question (as the Oculus does), selected yes, and put the headset on to have it display the “home” once again, while hearing the AH initial sign on stuff through the ear pieces.  Very unnecessarily frustrating.

About a dozen guys in my DCS group use the Reverb G2 and they all swear by the OpenXR app for it.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 03:21:14 PM »
Yeah but it doesn't work for AH.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2022, 04:18:01 PM »
Yeah must be missing something. Don't run Steam manually for AH. In fact, make sure regular steam is closed out entirely---Steamvr and steam before starting AH. The versions will interfere with each other. That could do it. You shouldn't be seeing home at all.

Yeah, that constant HOME view has really got me trumped.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2022, 04:51:40 PM »
If you have regular Steam set to run with windows turn that off so it doesn't mess you up. You're not messing with Steam at all to run AH. I don't know why you're going to the cliff house but I suspect you have Steam running or are trying to run AH thru Steam.
Or...
Is your AH install the Steam version? That would do it too. Mine is the straight HTC version. I don't know how the straight Steam version reacts when started. But something is taking you right to Steam.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2022, 06:41:22 PM »
Thanks Drano!  I’ll check that also.  SNO helped me get the mouse to active by pressing win + y after donning the headset.  I’ll clean up the steam vr library and see where that takes me.  I agree that something else is in the mix that shouldn’t be. 

My AH DX II is the downloaded to the desktop version.

:salute
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 07:12:23 PM by Puma44 »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2022, 04:49:38 AM »
Yeah but it doesn't work for AH.

Thats a bunch of crap, it should work for any VR game.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2022, 06:20:53 AM »
What happens if once you are in the steam cliff house, if you close AH and reopen it?

You should get the do you want to use vr prompt again

Then click it with steam already running...does that get you to the ah login?

Make sure AH is highlighted in focus on the desktop before you put the headset on, click it on the tool bar.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2022, 02:01:51 PM »
Thats a bunch of crap, it should work for any VR game.
No so. I keep up on the discord. There's a list of compatible games. They test games all the time. Generally older games can't run on it and I guess AH is... well... too old. I've never been able to get AH to run on opencomposite and not just recently. Would be super cool if it could. Actually spoke with HT about it. I doubt he's gonna do anything in that direction.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2022, 02:18:21 PM »
He shouldn't have Steam or SteamVR running at all prior to starting AH. Should have WMR running, yes. I start AH on the desktop, click yes at the prompt and then put the headset on. Game starts in VR. Steamvr for WMR will start itself and run minimized. I don't even touch it. Don't recall doing anything to that actually. Could be wrong but I'm away from the PC.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2022, 06:43:08 PM »
I just tried Drano’s sequence.  Before doing that, unplugged the G2 usb from the pc and reconnected.  WMR ON, start DXII on the desktop, answer YES, power the headset and put it on.  AH popped up full view in the headset with the white reference dot moving with my head movement.  Centered it over online arenas and clicked the mouse.   Nothing happened from there. 

Repeated the process from another cold start and got this cliff house view four times in a row.  My controllers have unpaired and won’t re-pair, making it impossible to navigate within the cliff house.  The win + y works sporadically but, not enough to make any progress.

Some progress but, the cliff house thing is frustrating.  Can’t seem to avoid stepping in there.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2022, 06:48:29 PM »
What happens if once you are in the steam cliff house, if you close AH and reopen it?

You should get the do you want to use vr prompt again

Then click it with steam already running...does that get you to the ah login?

Make sure AH is highlighted in focus on the desktop before you put the headset on, click it on the tool bar.

Eagler

Anytime the headset is powered, the mouse freezes.  Talking with SNO yesterday, his mouse operates fine in and out of vr with the headset.  I had no mouse issues like this in or out of vr with the oculus rift.

To your other questions, I can’t get there from here because of the frozen mouse issue.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2022, 09:02:01 PM »
The win+y command toggles focus between the G2 controllers and the desktop. Sounds like you were so close. I think all you needed to do when AH started and "froze" was hit win+y and you'd have been in. It got me the first time too. I couldn't get anything to register with my hotas either until I did that.

Why are you unplugging the usb? There's a power button on the cable box. Or should be unless you bought this thing used. The V1 cable does not have the power button on it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2022, 09:50:02 PM »
The win+y command toggles focus between the G2 controllers and the desktop. Sounds like you were so close. I think all you needed to do when AH started and "froze" was hit win+y and you'd have been in. It got me the first time too. I couldn't get anything to register with my hotas either until I did that.

Why are you unplugging the usb? There's a power button on the cable box. Or should be unless you bought this thing used. The V1 cable does not have the power button on it.

Sent from my SM- :aokG991U using Tapatalk

In an attempt to get into the setup menu, I unplugged the usb hoping the system wouldn’t recognize the G2 and allow access.    So far, I’ve been unable to access the setup menu again.  Having a controller available would simplify completing some of the vr setup, since the mouse continues to do its unexplainable freeze act.

I have version 2 with a power button.

Thanks for your continued input.

This HP “stump the dummy” act trying to get this working is :bhead.  I have to say the oculus rift was truly a simple plug and play, in comparison.  Amazing in these days of advance technology that this G2 is so problematic, especially as long as HP has been around.

Next!………….
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 11:53:56 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2022, 11:07:34 PM »
Hey Puma, sorry you're having troubles. The G2 is a great headset once it's up and running. I don't know if you've already gone through all this but the below is how I got mine working.

First for getting your controllers paired there should be a pairing button under the battery case. Hold that until the lights on the controller start flashing and it should pair to the headset. I think you need to be in the hp reverb vr headset setup (it is a different setup than the wmr one). There should be on screen instructions on how to pair.

Second your issue with ah not showing up sounds like a break between wmr and steamvr. Make sure you have steamvr and windows mixed reality for steamvr installed. You need both. Then run steamvr. There should be a little vr icon next to the close window x in the top right of steam. Click on that and it should start wmr if it's not already running. Then the steamvr box will open and should read ready. If it doesn't read ready there are still issues. Let us know what it says in that case. Open ah dx11 and click yes on the use headset prompt. Hopefully you're good to go from there.

I'm out of town right now but get back Monday night. I'll load up some screenshots when I get back home.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights