Author Topic: Nuke disasters  (Read 670 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Nuke disasters
« on: September 15, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »
Top 10 Nuclear Disasters
https://www.processindustryforum.com/hot-topics/nucleardisasters#:~:text=%20Top%2010%20Nuclear%20Disasters%20%201%20Chernobyl%2C,Great%20Britain%E2%80%99s%20history%20occurred%20on%20the...%20More%20

One that wasn't mentioned and I didn't know about was at Church Rock NM.

The Church Rock uranium mill spill occurred in the U.S. state of New Mexico on July 16, 1979, when United Nuclear Corporation's tailings disposal pond at its uranium mill in Church Rock breached its dam. The accident remains the largest release of radioactive material in U.S. history, having released more radioactivity than the Three Mile Island accident four months earlier.

The Governor of New Mexico Bruce King refused the Navajo Nation's request that the site be declared a federal disaster area, limiting aid to affected residents. The nuclear contamination event received less media coverage than that of Three Mile Island, possibly because it occurred in a very rural area not served by major media. The spill also happened in Native American country, among a community that at that time were not predisposed to speaking out.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Nuke disasters
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 10:14:03 AM »
All fun and games until the world blows up.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 11:11:40 AM »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 09:08:52 PM »
Next one is if russia throws a hissy fit
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 04:01:33 PM »
Next one is if russia throws a hissy fit

Zaporizhzhia...  1145 km as the crow flies from my place... 

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »
The world will not blow up.  The human race and all life will simply be sanitized.
Might not be such a bad thing.  Might get it right next time. 😉

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 05:08:19 PM »
Might get it right next time. 😉

Coogan

You won't.    :ahand

Neither will the rest of us though.  :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 11:52:39 AM »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 04:57:35 AM »
I was an MP stationed at Little Rock AFB when that Titan-ll blew up in its silo, "actually in USAF we were called SP's for Security Police". In fact I was on duty at the time when it blew. I can't say I was involved or even knew much at the time as I was "luckily" assigned to MAC "Military Airlift Command" and not SAC "Strategic Air Command" and we had nothing to do with the ICBM's. Instead I did base LE and flight line security. That night I was working the main gate.

We knew something big was happening but didn't know what, just something to do with a missile, and we later found out someone had died. Honestly I didn't even know the exact details until I bought and read the book "Command and Control" many, many years later. SAC threw a blanket over the entire thing and downplayed it. Saying there was no chance the 9 mt warhead could have blown. THAT I remember.

In fact it turned out that bomb going off was a lot more possible then they admitted to and would have wiped out 1/2 of Arkansas had it blown. There had been another accident like it in 1965 when 53 workers were killed. The Titan-l's & ll's were liquid fueled and were very volatile. And the sad fact was that in 1980 when this one happened we were only keeping the 18 ICBM's around in order to trade them off in the SALT talks. By then the Minuteman ICBM's were our main missiles and I think we had MX's some years later. I never worked missiles however.

One tech got into trouble even tho he was a hero. He went down into the missile alone which you can never, ever do. No single man can ever be around one of those weapons. its called "the two man rule". Only two authorized people of equal technical expertise can ever be around a special weapon and they can never be out of sight of each other.

After this accident I ended up getting deployed to the S/W assigned to convoy duty. We were taking the old stuff out of Europe, flying them into a airbase in New Mexico for disassembly, and we put in cruise missiles and Pershing-ll missiles in Europe to replace them. The convoy duty was always serious business because we'd have semi-trailers loaded with the things and very, very tight security along the routes and with the weapons.

You people today wouldn't believe the numbers and status of our nuclear forces, both ours and the Reds, back at the height of the Cold War. We each had about 10,000 strategic weapons alone on high alert. We had fleets of B-52's on hot pads in bases thru the northern tier, the bombers would be cold started and in the air in 15 mins. Of course the ICBM's and SLBM's, both MIRV'ed, and this isn't even counting all the Intermediate and tactical weapons we both had. Its a miracle we never blew up the world.

I know we came close a few times.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:24:49 AM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 09:07:51 AM »
I was an MP stationed at Little Rock AFB when that Titan-ll blew up in its silo, "actually in USAF we were called SP's for Security Police". In fact I was on duty at the time when it blew. I can't say I was involved or even knew much at the time as I was "luckily" assigned to MAC "Military Airlift Command" and not SAC "Strategic Air Command" and we had nothing to do with the ICBM's. Instead I did base LE and flight line security. That night I was working the main gate.

We knew something big was happening but didn't know what, just something to do with a missile, and we later found out someone had died. Honestly I didn't even know the exact details until I bought and read the book "Command and Control" many, many years later. SAC threw a blanket over the entire thing and downplayed it. Saying there was no chance the 9 mt warhead could have blown. THAT I remember.

In fact it turned out that bomb going off was a lot more possible then they admitted to and would have wiped out 1/2 of Arkansas had it blown. There had been another accident like it in 1965 when 53 workers were killed. The Titan-l's & ll's were liquid fueled and were very volatile. And the sad fact was that in 1980 when this one happened we were only keeping the 18 ICBM's around in order to trade them off in the SALT talks. By then the Minuteman ICBM's were our main missiles and I think we had MX's some years later. I never worked missiles however.

One tech got into trouble even tho he was a hero. He went down into the missile alone which you can never, ever do. No single man can ever be around one of those weapons. its called "the two man rule". Only two authorized people of equal technical expertise can ever be around a special weapon and they can never be out of sight of each other.

After this accident I ended up getting deployed to the S/W assigned to convoy duty. We were taking the old stuff out of Europe, flying them into a airbase in New Mexico for disassembly, and we put in cruise missiles and Pershing-ll missiles in Europe to replace them. The convoy duty was always serious business because we'd have semi-trailers loaded with the things and very, very tight security along the routes and with the weapons.

You people today wouldn't believe the numbers and status of our nuclear forces, both ours and the Reds, back at the height of the Cold War. We each had about 10,000 strategic weapons alone on high alert. We had fleets of B-52's on hot pads in bases thru the northern tier, the bombers would be cold started and in the air in 15 mins. Of course the ICBM's and SLBM's, both MIRV'ed, and this isn't even counting all the Intermediate and tactical weapons we both had. Its a miracle we never blew up the world.

I know we came close a few times.(Image removed from quote.)

My only question is this: Are you a Rich62YO at this point?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 09:29:55 AM »
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA335076 

Has all the nuke disaster data on Chernobyl and the search function brings up the rest.

I just put “Aero engine design piston boost pressure”  in the search box and it returned all sorts of engine and propellor studies. 
Good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:38:20 AM by icepac »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 12:27:06 PM »
I'm 64yo now. I served from '77 to '81.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"