Author Topic: What if the Italian military had been competent?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
What if the Italian military had been competent?
« on: September 13, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »
Instead of needing Germany to take over for their incompetence let's say they were every bit as competent as the German military. How does this effect the outcome of dubya dubya too?

Discuss.   :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: What if the Italian military had been competent?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 10:23:15 AM »
These threads are truly a waste of time imo

A distraction from real issues

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 10:30:27 AM »

Eagler

Then why waste your time posting in them? Fair question imo.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 10:36:10 AM »
Then why waste your time posting in them? Fair question imo.

To inspire better threads?

Too bad the most interesting ones don't stay open for long these days

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 10:39:46 AM »
I enjoy the speculation and I'm sorry that you don't.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »

Eagler

start a thread that is not a waste of time.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 02:30:29 PM »
What if the atom bomb blew up the scientists in New Mexico? Would Ethiopia have defeated Italy?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 02:32:22 PM »
Saw something a while back on how Hitler was fascinated with Rome and enamored with modern Italy because of this history. Reality bit him on the ass.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 03:02:39 PM »
What if the atom bomb blew up the scientists in New Mexico? Would Ethiopia have defeated Italy?

if I remember correctly the scientists were concerned the atomic bomb would burn the oxygen in the world and kill everyone. the probability was very small but not zero.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 03:33:03 PM »
They built a road through the forum so hitler could see it on both sides of his staff car.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 03:42:21 PM »
Instead of needing Germany to take over for their incompetence let's say they were every bit as competent as the German military. How does this effect the outcome of dubya dubya too?
Discuss.

- Germany has no need to invade the Balkans and Greece.  Russian campaign begins two weeks earlier (probably with same result).

- Germany has no need to fight in North Africa.  Saves them a quarter of a million men in 1943, just in time to replace the loss of Sixth Army.

- No one listens to Churchill's "soft underbelly" arguments.  Cross-channel invasion occurs in 1943.

- Italians retain a surplus of poison gas, which is not needed to subdue the Ethiopians.

- oldman

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 04:16:46 PM »
- Germany has no need to invade the Balkans and Greece.  Russian campaign begins two weeks earlier (probably with same result).

A very wet spring so starting 2 weeks earlier wouldn't make a difference.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 05:05:58 PM »
Germany has no need to fight in North Africa.  Saves them a quarter of a million men in 1943, just in time to replace the loss of Sixth Army.

What if that extra 250,000 men is enough to let the Wehrmacht take Stalingrad, or just enough to finish the drive to Moscow?

Not having to fight in North Africa, Balkans and Greece would be a huge help to the German war effort elsewhere.

No one listens to Churchill's "soft underbelly" arguments.  Cross-channel invasion occurs in 1943.

Possibly, but the Allies probably hadn't amassed enough men and materiel in England yet in 1943. Something to consider though...

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 05:20:45 PM »
Perhaps the map of Europe was like this?

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 08:17:31 PM »
I appreciate all the folks who make positive contributions to these threads.

I think it's fun exploring what if scenarios and it's probably why I like Hearts of Iron IV. In that game I beat Germany with Poland although I didn't finish out the war because it seemed like conquering Germany was enough for the Poles.  :D