Author Topic: Dreams  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Dreams
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2023, 10:50:48 PM »
Disagree with that. As one of the og maps I think it had the best parity of almost any. Baltic has always been my fave please leave it be. Plenty of other naps could use help.

Imo making maps that create one or two giant fights each night will not end well.

That's not what I'm after. I want the realistic ability to have a big fight anywhere on the map. Baltic only offers a couple of places where the bases are close enough to sustain a fight, mainly on the east side in the Gulf of Finland. Otherwise, the flight distances are too long and fights die out because it takes to long to respond to an attack on a capped/porked base.

It's the same reason why Buzzsaw, Pizza, and SFMA all suck too.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2023, 11:18:54 PM »
I agree, with a bit of rearranging, and adding more bases it will make a better map. A fresh map with old history.

WTG Kenai  <S>

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2023, 09:06:23 AM »
That's not what I'm after. I want the realistic ability to have a big fight anywhere on the map. Baltic only offers a couple of places where the bases are close enough to sustain a fight, mainly on the east side in the Gulf of Finland. Otherwise, the flight distances are too long and fights die out because it takes to long to respond to an attack on a capped/porked base.

It's the same reason why Buzzsaw, Pizza, and SFMA all suck too.

Ok cool, seems to be the consensus of a loud group recently. Buzzsaw you can delete lol. I love pizza!!! Maybe I’m just an old fart. Not sure I’ve seen sfma enough or I just don’t know I have. I usually only play prime time EST so I don’t see some maps as much.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2023, 11:32:04 AM »
2 cents from the village idiot

I think the maps are one of the biggest features, besides the AC/FM, that puts a face on what the sim/game is.

IMO, with all due respect as a lot of work goes into these that I didn't do.....these round maps give it the arcade appearance. If it were my first day and I saw a round map, I would think "ya, this is not what I'm looking for". I don't think they are big sellers for new players who have looked at other sims..

I think when looking for great sims most look for as realistic as possible, the least arcade, at least with me. The immersion factor?

I wish I had some long term experiences with building these, I don't. I'm just a spectator. I've also been out of the loop for a long time.

Kudos to who made them. Everyone is looking for the balanced map. I'm just not a big fan of round maps <shrug>

I like this whole thread. :)

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2023, 02:47:06 PM »
Everything is still pretty fluid for now, base locations types of bases etc. etc.. I did add an additional port to each country and a Battleship. However with the sea area available, that may not work. BB's  can be extremely destructive, and very difficult to destroy. May have to limit the map to just CV's.

Okay back to work <S>.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2023, 04:03:53 PM »
Everything is still pretty fluid for now, base locations types of bases etc. etc.. I did add an additional port to each country and a Battleship. However with the sea area available, that may not work. BB's  can be extremely destructive, and very difficult to destroy. May have to limit the map to just CV's.

Okay back to work <S>.

That all sounds pretty nice!

Well Animal if you don’t like Pizza round maybe we can make it a sheet pizza instead.  :aok I don’t care about the shape as much as I like the terrain itself a lot. So that terrain with a different layout would be cool too.

I have 10 years or so until I can retire fingers crossed. Hope we are all still here so I can make some too. You all do a great job.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 04:05:28 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2023, 09:52:57 AM »
Well Animal if you don’t like Pizza round maybe we can make it a sheet pizza instead.  :aok I don’t care about the shape as much as I like the terrain itself a lot. So that terrain with a different layout would be cool too.

Well, its not always what I like, or not, I’m in a mode where I look at everything as a selling point. I may be a little fixated with it. I try to look at things as if I never saw them before. I left in AH2, never saw 3 until my return. Being away so long does tend to give me/us little different POV. I think I tend to exploit 3 to others who left under 2. That seems to be the pattern over.new players.

>IMO< If we want to run with the big dogs, we have to act like the big dogs.
 <shrug> I’m obnoxiously detailed.

The actual terrain layout is great. I just happen to think this thread is on the right track.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2023, 02:09:24 PM »
Kilimanjaro, Africa area map.

Man, reminds me of that one map where there was like a single 6-10k base in the middle that was always fought over.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2023, 05:23:49 PM »
Baltic2 ver. 0.06
I removed the Battle Ships, working on the base locations......
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2023, 12:55:03 PM »
Baltic2 ver. 0.08
Bishop bases and Strats first draft layout. Starting on the Knights.

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2023, 06:02:32 PM »
Baltic2 ver. 0.10 Knight bases set first draft.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2023, 09:10:46 PM »
Baltic2 ver. 0.10 Knight bases set first draft.

What caught my eye, that I think is interesting, the terrain for each country is somewhat different.
I'd like to see the countries rotate each time it comes up to play. But that's a whole different ball game.

Nice selection
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2023, 01:59:44 PM »
What caught my eye, that I think is interesting, the terrain for each country is somewhat different.
I'd like to see the countries rotate each time it comes up to play. But that's a whole different ball game.

Nice selection

Yeah, that's a whole different issue. As I understand it, the country/terrain assignment is strictly random. As I am sure you have noticed your country may get the same map assignment for several rotations. :O
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2023, 04:27:43 PM »
Baltic2 ver. 0.12
All bases set, Strats set, flak bases installed. getting ready to start spawn points.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2023, 06:06:38 PM »
Some epic tank battles used to take place 41 now is. I bet some fellas going to gripe. I’m not one of them lol.