Author Topic: Algae as food  (Read 1632 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Algae as food
« on: October 20, 2022, 08:49:12 AM »
Algae offer potential for sustainable future food
By Jordan Gaal

AUSTIN, Texas — It’s salty, yet subtle, green, and crunchy. It has more calcium than milk, more potassium than a banana, and more iron than beef. And with new technologies that speed its transition from a health supplement to a widely accepted food, microalgae could play a critical role in feeding a rapidly expanding global population.

The world will have to feed 2 billion more people by 2060 by producing a staggering 70 percent more food. Three researchers studying microalgae explained why these tiny photosynthetic cells could be the solution during a Feb. 18 session at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting.

Algae are a broad category, including single-celled organisms that harvest the sun’s energy and turn it into oils, proteins, and carbohydrates. Growing them in a bioreactor — a tank-like apparatus where the complex biological processes of algal growth are optimized — can result in zero waste and limited land and water use, unlike traditional food production. Smaller-scale production compared with commodity crops leads to challenges such as low efficiency and high investment costs. But if the technology for scaling up production and increasing efficiency can be developed, algae have the potential to be integrated into food sources worldwide.

If current consumption patterns continue, in just over 40 years the food system will support a mere 5.4 billion people – much less than today’s population, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and the Institute of Food, Nutrition, and Health at the ETH Zurich university.

“We need to rethink our food system and need to significantly innovate,” said Alexander Mathys, a food technologist at the Institute of Food, Nutrition, and Health. “We need to team up to tackle such big challenges.”

more https://www.nasw.org/article/algae-offer-potential-sustainable-future-food

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Algae as food
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 09:36:52 AM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 09:42:35 AM »
Enjoyed that flick just the other day while WFH

Made me wonder why it's immoral and if it will stay that way in the future

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 09:45:31 AM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »
Insects and grubs could be added for variety.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 09:51:13 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

They should dig up Chuck Heston, Chuck Connors, Joe Cotton and Eddie G. Robinson to remake it.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 10:00:42 AM »
If we can sprinkle it on the cheeseburgers, I'm down!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 10:08:35 AM »
If we can sprinkle it on the cheeseburgers, I'm down!

Why would you be down?

You do know that algea is in food right now.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 10:20:39 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

Not talking about killing and eating the living but making funeral homes into drive through burger joints...some sort of luncheon meat...my guess is we'd never know the difference

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 10:25:49 AM »
Not talking about killing and eating the living but making funeral homes into drive through burger joints...some sort of luncheon meat...my guess is we'd never know the difference

Or abortion clinics.  Waste not, want not.

Would you like a side order of pickled fetus?

Ever seen a jar of pig knuckles?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 10:29:06 AM »
pickles can't suck enough, they ruin everything they touch
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 10:33:21 AM »
Ever seen a jar of pig knuckles?

Pounds of protein and fat without having to tap that but I see some with bizarre cravings...

It would look like baloney not something at the country store counter

With the right setup we might not even know its happening,  look at Ole Charles...took him the entire movie to figure it out...

We would need larger garage trucks these days. :)

Eagler

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 11:14:31 AM »
Everything is recycled in time, everything.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 11:46:41 AM »
pickles can't suck enough, they ruin everything they touch

Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member