Author Topic: Are We In A Sim Gaming Dark Age?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Are We In A Sim Gaming Dark Age?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2023, 10:19:47 AM »
I have only a brief experience with War Thunder but it seemed a good deal more arcadish than AH. Free to Play for AH might be successful. If not, it might be the end of it.  Dunno.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2023, 10:31:22 AM »
I have only a brief experience with War Thunder but it seemed a good deal more arcadish than AH. Free to Play for AH might be successful. If not, it might be the end of it.  Dunno.

What's the next best option to try to alter the games population trajectory? 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
More people.  :D

Of course I have no idea what Dale plans for the game. He may be tired of it and ready to let it fade.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2023, 10:41:21 AM »
FWIW, HT has addressed in the past why it is listed as F2P, he had no choice.

I totally buy that. 

And it's irrelevant.

The only thing that is relevant is how it effects conversion rate.  At one time I had sat and read through every one of the 200ish reviews on Steam.  The feeling of a bait and switch was by far the most commonly identified deal breaker in those reviews.  Fair or not, the vast majority of potential sales were probably lost in that first 30 secs when they are hit with that dialog.  You've started you sales pitch by essentially spitting in the players face.  Fair or not, that is how the person you are trying to sell is perceiving it.

It may not have been a choice on how they had to list it, but it WAS a conscious choice to not implement a F2P plane set to align the product with the players assumptions and with how other games they've played handle it, and how they had to list it.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2023, 10:51:22 AM »
Got his answer here about a free planeset

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,406093.15.html

No way jose...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2023, 11:12:55 AM »
I totally buy that. 

And it's irrelevant.

The only thing that is relevant is how it effects conversion rate.  At one time I had sat and read through every one of the 200ish reviews on Steam.  The feeling of a bait and switch was by far the most commonly identified deal breaker in those reviews.  Fair or not, the vast majority of potential sales were probably lost in that first 30 secs when they are hit with that dialog.  You've started you sales pitch by essentially spitting in the players face.  Fair or not, that is how the person you are trying to sell is perceiving it.

It may not have been a choice on how they had to list it, but it WAS a conscious choice to not implement a F2P plane set to align the product with the players assumptions and with how other games they've played handle it, and how they had to list it.

That seems more like a Steam issue than anything. By technicality the game is F2P. You can download the game for free, create an account for free, and play most aspects for free (including a free trial) with no CC required. I'm sure HT does not want to have his game perceived in the way that Steam forced him to do, but I'm not sure it should be the burden of the game designer to change their game entirely so that it can confirm to what Steam considers F2P or not.

If HT were to ever do a F2P planeset, which he won't, so all of these posts are completely pointless, I'd say the best option is to have some middle of the road aircraft available and then a rotating set of 3 or 4 that rotates at a given time (weekly, monthly, etc). SMITE does this well and gives a refreshing experience with the ability for people to try out new stuff every so often.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:14:54 AM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2023, 11:13:02 AM »
No way jose...

Funny. That's exactly what the potential Steam customers said when they downloaded a F2P game and got hit with a trial warning.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2023, 11:44:31 AM »
What if HT offered only one goon, a Jeep, or a PT boat with only rockets. That's what you get for free.

And if they get a whole bunch of kills and either one of those, they get to sit in a manner gun if they want.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2023, 11:54:44 AM »
If HT were to ever do a F2P planeset, which he won't, so all of these posts are completely pointless

OK.  That's his call.  It may be that AH is feature complete and now just LTM (long-term-maintenance).

I can see no likely scenario to reverse the downtrend if no material changes are able to be considered.  If that outcome is acceptable then yeah, don't bother considering any changes.

Seasonal fluctuations aside, the player population appears to decrease every year.  The player base is hitting that demographic cohort where they are dying off at a much faster clip.  That will only accelerate  with time as the players are probably heavily weighted in the same age range.  It doesn't appear there are many new younger players being added to replace them.  If just managing that downward glide slope is the plan, then yeah, don't bother considering any changes.

Failing that I can't see much low hanging fruit that he can do himself without new art and modelling.  Is there a better option to increase the number of players in the area that I am missing?

Vulcan?  That could help, but it might be a necessary but not sufficient condition kind of thing.  I think there are too many other friction points for that to make the difference by itself, but not that I am against it. 

It may be like Iron said that he has made to decision to give up and let it fade. 

Maybe advertising. Maybe they can set up tables at air shows and give out t-shirts to rando's walking by.   :lipsrsealed:

Maybe there is some secret wonder weapon being worked on in the HTC Skunkworks that we don't know about that will total change everything and blow us all away.  Maybe.  We wouldn't know because HTC does a lot of things well, but communicating the long term development roadmap to the player base isn't one of their talents.

It may be like Iron said that he has made to decision to give up and let it fade.  That is not an unreasonable decision for a 20 yo game.  It's on hospice care now.  It will never get better.  It's as good as it will get, and only decline further from here over time until it is finally gone.  If that is the case, the community should all probably just admit it openly and move on to acceptance stage of grief.

It's a pity.  There is a core code base of simulation that has been worked on for decades that should be able to be monetized.  It's a shame to just let it all bit rot. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:06:42 PM by CptTrips »

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
It's pretty sad because this is a great game. I remember when air warrior went away and a bunch of players really wanted to buy the game and keep it going but whoever owned it wouldn't sell it. I mean even though that had crappy graphics even for its time toward the end, that was a really great community. That was a fun game with a really really good community.

I could see the same thing happening if this game went away. The people who love the game would be desperate to have it back. And then it would just be gone. Nothing else is like it that's out there.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »
I'm pretty good at website SO. (search optimization)

I just did a very quick search under Google for each of the following:

WWII flight simulator
WWII game
WWII fighter game
Free WWII fighter game

Aces High is nowhere to be found on the first page of google results. I didn't bother looking past the first page.

For such a niche market, this is super easy to fix. For no cost other than adding relevant content to the main website. It's very simple to make any of those returns  come in the top search results.

Google doesn't return results based on key words, they return results based on relevant content. So if HT had a website that had articles about any of those subject and used those phrases (or any other phrase he chose) , you could get results very easily. I've done it and it's not rocket science.

I would do it for free for HiTech. 

Also, any videos posted to Youtube (or whatever) should have descriptions that include those phrases and work it into the description in such a way that it reads as information, not spam.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:25:36 PM by -gg- »

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2023, 01:48:49 PM »
Here's the meta description for AH.

https://ibb.co/3WswzBX

Aces High - Homehttps://www.hitechcreations.com
Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WW1 and WW2 air combat and sets it in a high intensity online multiplayer environment. Hundreds of players ...

That's what people see if they directly search for Aces High specifically.

This should be much more specific and to the point. something like:

Aces High - Multiplayer WW1 and  WW2 combat simulator game. Free to try!  Air, Ground and Sea WWII combat game!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:50:21 PM by -gg- »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2023, 01:50:36 PM »
Iron wins the internet today.  I guess LTM it is.

https://www.hitechcreations.com/flight-simulators/2278-what-s-changing-with-our-combat-simulator-aces-high-in-2023

It is what it is.  Good luck with that.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2023, 02:38:34 PM »
You drop a frog into boiling water, he'll just jump out.  You gently place that frog in tepid water and carefully raise the temp, with a little luck you might make frog soup.

Just fyi, that's an urban myth. As the water gets warm the frog will try to get out.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
Just fyi, that's an urban myth. As the water gets warm the frog will try to get out.

I'm not even going to ask how you proved that.

:rofl