Author Topic: Price change?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Price change?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 06:11:36 PM »
I agree with your assessment of recycled players - sortof like they have a half-life that diminishes with each re-up.  Unless some threshold is finally crossed and we become Lifers?  I know I went through the cycle myself.

There are still new players coming in - look at Tig, he's practically worth his weight in new members.  He just abounds with enthusiasm for the game and community.   And I feel like I really have been seeing higher numbers in the MA lately.   

A F2P plane/vehicle subset makes sense I think; other games have proven it's a viable strategy.   And I don't think there is much beyond Hitech's ability as a programmer, so maybe he's just opposed to it philosophically.  Or lacks the time or some other resource(s) to implement a change like that. 

Many of us probably would pay an extra 20 cents a day to keep AH healthy (is it unhealthy?  Being a privately-held company, how can we know?)  But others would demand some new features for their money, and threaten to terminate their accounts, and some would follow through.   Difficult for me to see a happy ending in that scenario...   

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 07:51:10 PM »
There are still new players coming in - look at Tig, he's practically worth his weight in new members.

Tig seems like a great guy.  However there are only a limited number of subscriptions one guy can pay for. ;)
How many completely new (non-recycled) players have been added say in the last year?  Can you count them on one hand?  Of course it is always hard to know which are just shades for existing players.

And I feel like I really have been seeing higher numbers in the MA lately.   

I'm sure you are right.  As Lusche has stated before, there is a seasonal fluctuation.  Higher in winter when people are housebound, and lower in summer when people are out enjoying the outdoors.

If we enter a GFC level recession this year, it will be interesting to see what effect that has when combined with the normal summer low point.  Might be a double whammy.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 08:06:52 PM »
I’d pay an extra 5-10 bucks a month if that meant 400+ players in the MA during prime time.
Reasonable

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 08:13:58 PM »
The price of gas is up.  The price of groceries is up.  Rent is up.  Now you want to raise the price here?   :furious

We have too much of that going around already.  I am having to cut back already.  I don't want to be priced out of flying my airplane.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 08:36:13 PM »
I’d pay an extra 5-10 bucks a month if that meant 400+ players in the MA during prime time.

So that's a hard "no" then. ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 03:17:35 PM »
We used to pay more back in the beginning..

$29.95 if I recall correctly and the place was packed

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 03:20:12 PM »
Pretty sure it was $19.99 when I started playing like 2005-6
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 03:27:26 PM »
Pretty sure it was $19.99 when I started playing like 2005-6

It was $30 when I started.  ;)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2023, 04:12:49 PM »
Price was 29.95 until August 2001, then 14.95
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 04:23:47 PM »
It was $30 when I started.  ;)

Me, too - and it was half of what I was spending monthly to fly in Warbirds.   I really appreciate what Hitech did for the monthly cost of flying.

It just occurred to me though- at that time, we were funding active development of the sim.   I think you are probably right to suggest AH is in a long-term maintenance only phase now, with no new features or developments in the pipeline, so I'm almost inclined to suggest a price cut is warranted, rather than a price increase.   Plus, if you cut the price, the number of players should increase, solving one of the current complaints of low numbers in the game.  If you raise the price, it follows that the number of players should be reduced, and that makes the complaints about player numbers worse. 

All depends on how elastic the demand for AH is, I guess...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2023, 04:27:40 PM »
Price was 29.95 until August 2001, then 14.95

Actually they did a pricing study where they offered lifetime price locks to players at certain prices - I think its possible that some players took advantage of a $19.95 price offer at that time.  IIRC, price point offers included $9.95, $14.95, 19.95, etc.

They looked at the results and decided $14.95 was the sweet spot, and reduced the price for everyone to that level.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »
Plus, if you cut the price, the number of players should increase, solving one of the current complaints of low numbers in the game.  If you raise the price, it follows that the number of players should be reduced, and that makes the complaints about player numbers worse. 

Maybe, maybe not. 

If I took a dog turd and put it on a bun and charged you 10 cents, would you buy it and eat it just because it is cheap?  What if I charged you 5 cents?

I'm not saying AH is a turd on a bun, just that taking something that is not appealing to the market and lowering the price, doesn't necessarily mean more sales.

Conversely, sometimes raising a price on something can make it even more desirable.  Dos anyone think a Jaguar is worth what they are paying from a engineering point of view?

You don't always want more customers unless the net profit exceeds the additional overhead.  The more players you have, the more support and other hassles.  Many hotels will keep their prices high even with empty rooms.  More guests at a cheaper price doesn't necessarily pay for the additional costs and house-keeping.

Ideally, you want the least number of customers at the highest revenue you can get to get a profit.  More money, less hassles.

So from a strategic point of view,  if I were working from Goldman-Saches venture capital division, I'd be asking how hard can we squeeze the existing customers, who have 20 years sunk cost and a large chunk their identities and social networks tied up in this game, before enough of them leave to prevent it from being a net profit.  20 cents a day?  They would give up FSO and Scenarios over 20 cents a day?

BTW, I'm at least half joking.   :cool:

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2023, 02:21:27 AM »
I'd pay $20/month for the Westland Whirlwind and the return of the Furball lake  :banana:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2023, 05:21:48 AM »
Y'all are more worried about HiTechs money than he is
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2023, 08:58:48 AM »
Y'all are more worried about HiTechs money than he is

I doubt that.