Author Topic: Spy ballons.  (Read 6510 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Spy ballons.
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2023, 10:01:30 PM »
Let’s not forget… :lol
I thought I heard it crossed the US-Canadian border and not from the Pacific.
 :bolt:

They say it came over the Aleutian islands, Alaska, Canada and then into the US

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2023, 10:47:31 PM »
That's not how I read it.  If so, then I apologize. 

Of course when asked the question, "Do you have any evidence that there were weapons on that balloon?"  The straight forward honest answer would have been, "No, I don't have any evidence that there were weapons on board that balloon."

I disagree.  There is nothing in that wording that would preclude this being one of those events where a benign looking surveillance balloon shows up that is really a weapon.

"So I'm sitting in my apartment, and my girlfriend shows up with two of her hot friends."  Is that referring so some future event?

Perhaps you need to brush up on elementary school level grammar comprehension.

"So I'm sitting in my apartment, and my girlfriend shows up with two of her hot friends."  Is that referring so some future event?

No, it's present tense, which is a poor example to use to compare with a future tense sentence.  "So I'll be sitting in my apartment, when my girlfriend shows up with two of her hot friends" is the example you should have written, instead of creating one using "and/shows" like you did, but you didn't want to do that as it would destroy your incorrect argument.

Read what he wrote again.  He specifically used the word "when" prior to "shows", which modifies the tense of "shows", and is obviously indicative of a future/hypothetical event.  "When" in this case is a conditional conjunction of time.  For example - "When your missing cat shows back up".  When/Shows, future tense, not present, not past.

Had he written "showed" instead of using "when/shows" in the original comment:
So much for your "open skies" approach when a weapon disguised as a surveillance craft shows up.
like this :
So much for your "open skies" approach, a weapon disguised as a surveillance craft showed up.
you would have an argument.  He didn't.  You don't.   

"The balloon will go away when it's hit by an Aim9X".  When.  Future. 

Care to go on?

It's painfully obvious to everyone here except you that you're using this whole "you said it had a weapon, you did, you did, you did!!" BS as a 1st rate example of gaslighting.  Sad, as you actually made one comment that was insightful IMO, referring to China using the balloons in order to measure the USA's response.  You devalue that though with this childish behavior. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:56:23 PM by Gman »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2023, 02:19:03 AM »
referring to China using the balloons in order to measure the USA's response.

害怕的  :noid
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2023, 06:46:22 AM »
Not sure why or how anyone is ok with china floating anything over us after their present in 2020

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2023, 07:14:43 AM »
I hate to have to point out the obvious but they are all in it together. The concept of nations is purely to keep Earth's population suspicious of each other. To avoid a unity that would change the way we all live for the better.

If one nation has a 'spy balloon' over another nation's airspace, reported so freely by the media, in an age when satellites can photograph your children playing in the back yard anyway... you can be sure it is to make you think the way they intend you to think.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2023, 07:40:20 AM »
I’d think an inert or non-explosive missile would have degraded the thing to where it could come down slower lessening the ‘it fell on me and I’m dead’ part and increasing the ‘this is what it was’ part but again… what do I know.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2023, 08:04:00 AM »
I wonder how many drones they could fit on something the size of three school buses? Drones could be dropped from them and carry out precision strikes against god -knows what.  Not that the Chinese would want their fingerprints on an actual attack like that, but what about some other country or terrorists group?

A lot of possibilities with balloons.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2023, 08:13:15 AM »
Care to go on?

Jesus Christ you are tedious.

"So, I'm sitting in my apartment when my girlfriend shows up with two hot friends."

That is using both "when" and "shows" and is not referring to future events.  That is a perfectly valid sentence.  You don't like it because it disproves your point. Tough.

Welcome to the ignore list.  You can pitch and Rush can catch to your hearts content.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 08:19:48 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2023, 08:22:26 AM »
That's pretty much it batfink

Explains the crazy in the most probable light

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2023, 08:44:20 AM »
The concept of nations is purely to keep Earth's population suspicious of each other. To avoid a unity that would change the way we all live for the better.

Commie!  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2023, 09:41:29 AM »
I wonder how many drones they could fit on something the size of three school buses? Drones could be dropped from them and carry out precision strikes against god -knows what.  Not that the Chinese would want their fingerprints on an actual attack like that, but what about some other country or terrorists group?

A lot of possibilities with balloons.

Valid point.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2023, 09:48:52 AM »
I hate to have to point out the obvious but they are all in it together. The concept of nations is purely to keep Earth's population suspicious of each other. To avoid a unity that would change the way we all live for the better.

If one nation has a 'spy balloon' over another nation's airspace, reported so freely by the media, in an age when satellites can photograph your children playing in the back yard anyway... you can be sure it is to make you think the way they intend you to think.

Hmmm

I’m trying to apply that to Russia at the moment, I don’t think Ukraine(ians) feel that way or Pakistan feels that way about India, vice versa…

How about Hamas, Hezbollah, Boko Haram…
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2023, 09:53:28 AM »
Just to confirm… you’re ok with someone dying over it?

It should have been dealt with way before it entered airspace over land.

Please quote my post where I said I "was ok with someone dying over it". As an aside here I hope you will realize that I am responsible for what I actually say / write, not what you infer or imagine, that are your issues to deal with

Even the MT governor said there was plenty of open ground, especially in the Eastern part of the state where it would have been OK to shoot it down.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2023, 10:14:32 AM »
while you guys argue over China, we have american patriots trying to burn our schools

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2023, 10:30:20 AM »
Valid point.

Yeah, but anything is "possible". 

It's possible the whole thing was filled with hard candy like a piñata.  That's "possible".

It just doesn't pass the smell test.  It's obvious we can track that all the way from China even if it wasn't publicly announced.  I have faith in NORAD.

It would be an exceedingly poor, slow, vulnerable, easily traceable weapons platform.  I doubt it has much additional bomb load capacity.  There are just some many better ways of smuggling any weapon you are imagining without it being so easily traceable back to them.

It doesn't even make much sense to me as a surveillance platform. They have plenty satellites. So do the Russians(spit) and I assume they are buddy buddy and share intel.

All that is possible, but just seems bizzarro and would imply the Chinese aren't as smart as I gave them credit for.  That is possible too.

The highest probability is that is was a surveillance balloon, but it just seems hard to understand why.  In the past the CIA used them to collect air samples to look for evidence of nuclear testing.  I think the Chinese know we have nukes.

It does make me very suspicious if this was designed to create a embarrassing propaganda trap for the US.  Build something that looks scary.  Launch it knowing it will be easily trackable.  Make it transmit weird signals that play on our paranoia.  Goad them on the internet until they shoot it down.  Then wait until the US has to sheepishly announce that it was just filled with meteorological equipment.  Then use that incident as a propaganda weapon in the coming year as thing heat up around Taiwan.   Portraying the US as dangerous war mongering and trigger happy. Shooting down innocent weather balloons.  Gives them political cover for shooting down a US recon plane over the South China Sea which they claim as their territory.  Tit for tat.  That's the only scenario that would make sense to me given the facts.  A propaganda ploy to embarrass the US.  It would be very Sun Ztu.  I just fear we are being played.

I'm not saying it was an immoral or illegal act to shoot it down.  Certainly better to do it over water, but probably would have been better over Alaska.  It's low odds it would hit anything in Alaska.  Maybe a moose.  If there was any fear it was a weapon system the military would not have waited while it crossed the entire land mass of the United States.  If it was surveillance, then then the benefits of a shoot down are less clear. You always have to weigh what you gain vs what it might cost.  I certainly don't want to hand them a propaganda win.

But honestly, I'm somewhat glad they shot it down because now I am REALLY curious as to what's in it.   :D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 11:06:38 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.