Author Topic: My take after my return.  (Read 4265 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: My take after my return.
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2023, 07:44:19 PM »
DCS is very purdy but the flight model is totally different. I wouldn't consider it a money pit compared to AH subscription every month but you do need a good setup with controls. Free download but you have to buy the planes and some maps only once though. It's a different game for sure. Some great things to it but also some challenging things regarding flight model and plane mechanical understanding. It's a completely different type of game and will take time to set up and learn. It certainly makes AH look like an arcade game relatively speaking, however AH has the MA and special events which makes it one of a kind, and it's also not easy and takes situational and ACM combat understanding in a world map to be successful. These are really strong skills to learn. You also have way more planes, more people in an arena, bombers and tanks that DCS doesn't have.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2023, 07:53:24 AM »
DCS is very purdy but the flight model is totally different. I wouldn't consider it a money pit compared to AH subscription every month but you do need a good setup with controls. Free download but you have to buy the planes and some maps only once though. It's a different game for sure. Some great things to it but also some challenging things regarding flight model and plane mechanical understanding. It's a completely different type of game and will take time to set up and learn. It certainly makes AH look like an arcade game relatively speaking, however AH has the MA and special events which makes it one of a kind, and it's also not easy and takes situational and ACM combat understanding in a world map to be successful. These are really strong skills to learn. You also have way more planes, more people in an arena, bombers and tanks that DCS doesn't have.

Modules do cost money.

For example my Huey costs $50 or $24.99 on sale. After playing the module for three years I would say they could charge $100 for it and I would pay it

If you get DCS direct from eagle dynamics (open beta version) you can trial the modules to see if you like them or not for two weeks.

For first time buyers of DCS modules-----ANYTHING IN THE CART IS 50% OFF not available on steam.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2023, 08:39:18 AM »
At least there is movement there

https://youtu.be/-NOGL6R3skE

Multi threaded VR looks promising

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2023, 09:02:39 AM »
Funny, I did not find the flight model in DCS to be that much different than AH.  Ground handling is harder, as it is more realistic for tail draggers.  While flying, some attention to engine management is needed, but it mostly boils down to setting manifold pressure and RPM to constant power settings, again more realistic. 

The learning curve can seem daunting, but you don't have to learn everything at once (small bites).  The sim can start the aircraft for you step by step, you can "hot start" with everything already running for you, or even "air start" where you are already in the air.  Whatever aircraft you want to fly there is a wealth of YouTube tutorials, forum tutorials, and manuals to learn every aspect of the aircraft.

I have the P-51, Spitfire, P-47, Mosquito, and I-16.  I have not even touched the German iron yet.

I found the player numbers misleading in DCS.  While finding servers with 30+ players is common, that doesn't tell the whole story.  The majority of DCS game play is PvE.  The A/I of both air and ground units are much more capable/realistic than in AH.  More importantly the A/I maintains a "warriors" attitude.  It does not constantly run away from fights when it does not have vastly superior numbers.  This player trait (outside of Monday Night Madness) was the main reason I stopped flying the MA.  With A/I, the numbers in the servers are two to three times the number of human players.  The combination of human and A/I means the fights are not hard to find while still being challenging.  It also means there is always a fight available 24/7.

I was a devout AH member for 20+ years and it did feel like the end of a marriage when I quit.  I am thankful to HiTech for the fond memories.  That said, it is refreshing to have a sim where the developers post WEEKLY news updates and meaningful patches once or twice a month.

DCS has one of the best free trail programs.  The base game is free with several aircraft and maps.  Do a search on "DCS A-4E Skyhawk" and you will have an unlimited, completely free, sim that will allow you to explore ALL aspects of what DCS has to offer.  The A-4 is an early jet.  Learn it and you will be setup for either WWII or modern jets.  It is full fidelity, and is COMPLETELY FREE!

For me to spend $180 a year on a sim, I require more value than AH is currently giving.  Everyone is different, my point is that there are alternatives out there that will cost you nothing, but your time.  Don't be scared.       

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2023, 09:13:19 AM »

It's a totally different animal than AH.  AH is more like War Thunder.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  I mean in it's planeset size, level of simulation and arena model.  AH is the next level above WT, but similar flavor.

DCS reminds me more of the old days like when you'd buy Falcon 3.0.  A much deeper dive into one airframe at a time. 

If you have to have 50 planes then DCS can be expensive.  But in reality most people don't fly most planes in the AH hangar.  People tend to have 2 or 3 that they like (or 1).  In that sense DCS is not more expensive over time.

But for your money you get regular dev update posts on where they are at, where they are going, and often a best guess on when they are hoping to get there.
You get continual, on-going software development not only from ED, but from their 3rd party developers.  So you have ongoing development from multiple sources. 

Where they fail is they haven't had a good arena concept.  But with user built servers like Enigma's Cold War, they are starting to figure that out. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2023, 09:37:29 AM »
Btw, here is a link to the A-4 Skyhawk that gives you an idea of what's available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlE2nPgP6WU&t=3s

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2023, 09:43:22 AM »

Eagler

Hi Eagler,

I've been playing DCS WWII and Cold War for a while, mostly offline or in small private servers. Always with VR, though I did have to buy a whole new rig to run it properly. Worth the investment. There is nothing quite like sitting in a 3D 109K4 cockpit.

If you ever want to play a few one of one fights, or even just enjoy formation flying, let me know. I'm keen.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2023, 09:46:54 AM »
Howdy Tshark

Do you play the beta version of dcs?

I think that is multi threaded if I read it correctly

What servers do you enjoy?

Any with icons as I can't see anything in dcs or il2 without them

Miss you in MNM

<S>

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2023, 09:56:46 AM »
Howdy batfink

I have the dcs k4 and a couple of other dcs planes

I have enjoyed the k4 - nothing like getting excited with just a successful takeoff and landing while not blowing the engine :)

The lack of icons adds difficulty in locating targets and even knowing where I am on the map

I am switching computers and have not moved dcs to the new box yet totally - need to figure out how to move the purchased planes and settings

My previous cpu ran it ok but am hoping the new box smooths out VR as it would get blurry during engagements

Which servers do you enjoy?

Are you batfink there too?

Take care

Eagler

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2023, 12:42:58 PM »
Howdy Tshark

Do you play the beta version of dcs?

I think that is multi threaded if I read it correctly

What servers do you enjoy?

Any with icons as I can't see anything in dcs or il2 without them

Miss you in MNM

<S>

Eagler

Yo Eagler

Yes, Open Beta is what I suggest everyone go to.  It has more features, updates, and better promotional sales.  It also does not require Steam.  Currently multi-threading is only available in Open Beta and has resulted in allowing many older systems to run DCS.  It is an option so you can try both single thread and multi-thread version.

I routinely fly a private server with a group based in the UK, as well as two player server that I fly with an old squadmate from AH.  Icons are an option depending on the mission and can be toggled on or off.

Yesterday, I flew with the Brits and it went like this:

There were four us (including a retired Tornado fighter pilot) that met up on Teamspeak.  We decided what we wanted to fly, in this case F-18s with icons on.  One player hosted the mission on a private server and we all joined.  It was a hot start on the ramp and we taxied to the runway and took off.  We flew a route that took us into air to air combat (there were over 30 A/I combatants between the two sides).  Two of us got shot down and had to air spawn back into the action.  Between the four of us we got five kills.  From there it was an NOE run through canyons to drop high drag bombs on multiple ground targets.  Then fly home and land.  Entire mission just over 1 hour.

My old squadmate and I fly a lot of WWII.  We meet up on Teamspeak and one of us hosts a WWII British coastal defense mission that he created (mission creation tools are included with the free DCS basic game).  We start out cold on the ramp (usually in Mossie's or Spitfires).  After start up, we taxi, take off, and begin patrolling the coast.  We are randomly vectored to various threats.  These might be inbound fighters/bombers, surfaced U-boats shelling the coast, schnell boats trying to land German commandos, etc.  The mission lasts as long as we wish.

DCS is not as limited as AH in game play.  You can fly single player missions, multiplayer missions with a few friends, or public missions that are open to everyone.  There are also campaigns (a series of missions that progress) that can be played both single and multiplayer.  You can fly PvE, PvP, or combination of both.  Missions created by other people can be downloaded for free, or you can create your own to play by yourself or with others.

If you are interested, pm me sometime and we can see if we can meet up.  I can get you up to speed on Teamspeak and we try a mission or two.  There are also training servers open to the public where there others willing to teach.

TShark

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2023, 02:50:28 PM »
Trying DCS isn't being disloyal to Aces High. You have time for both.

The free F-104 mod for DCS was just greatly improved. If you try it be sure to select the George AFB skin. Shiny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AolZn13OgPA

I made a couple of videos a while back on how to use OvGME for managing the many free DCS mods.

https://youtu.be/_STNLtzyWDE

https://youtu.be/GTWdlGOyR7M

https://youtu.be/T_7rTA0OwZY

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2023, 03:47:41 PM »
Between the big maps and bug with the VKB controllers I ended my account.

Best wishes to all and thanks for the good times. To all the fallen I wish God speed. Many good people have died since I first joined and they are missed. I was probably on 6 or 8 squads thru the years, and flew with many more, all good people. Always good times. I even killed Lusche once.  :D

"bombrich" signing off for the last time.  :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline wolvrine

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2023, 02:57:47 PM »
WOW!... I've been gone since 2013 and Aces High still comes to my mind. It's nice to be back in the free world. My computer is gone along with all my controls not to mention all my vehicles and tools. Starting all over again from scratch. Sooner or later I'm bound to get a new pc...thinking bout giving Aces another whack.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2023, 06:42:24 PM »
You won’t regret it. Its a great break from hard times. Its still fun.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2023, 03:25:57 PM »
Sooner or later I'm bound to get a new pc...thinking bout giving Aces another whack.

Cheap ($468) PC build for good Aces High action, 2023 edition.  60 frames per second.

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,407033.0.html