Author Topic: Resolution Oculus Quest  (Read 658 times)

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
Resolution Oculus Quest
« on: April 14, 2023, 07:37:23 PM »
 Posted in the wrong section on accident, moving it over here.

I am the question King.

Sorry guys.

Right now my Oculus Quest is set at 72 Hz which is recommended by the default settings. My Render Resolution is set at 3936 x 1984.

Should you change the Hz to 80 90 or 120? Any benefit in picture quality? Also should you change resolution? If so what is the best resolution to run for picture quality on O/C? I’m running a 2080 ti or a 3070.

Any other graphic settings to mess with in O/C that make a difference that you have noticed? Game runs smooth but I have seen better quality on Youtube

Thanks in advance. Trying to get things dialed in

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Resolution Oculus Quest
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 07:42:26 AM »
before the update fluffied it all up I had mine set to 90mhz

Whenever you keyed up in game mic it would kick you to desktop in 72mhz but not in 90mhz

at 90mhz that's 45 frames per sec per eye
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:11:49 PM »
at 90mhz that's 45 frames per sec per eye

No.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 04:49:42 PM »
it is for me

Yes well you are special dear.

The Quest 1 had a per panel refresh rate of up to 72hz, and the Quest 2 has a single panel with a refresh rate of up to 120hz.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 05:18:30 PM »
Yes well you are special dear.

The Quest 1 had a per panel refresh rate of up to 72hz, and the Quest 2 has a single panel with a refresh rate of up to 120hz.

Yes i am special dear

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 03:27:46 PM »
The quest functions properly so long as the refresh rate can be achieved consistently. In other words, if you can run the quest at 72 frames per second while it is set to 72hz you will have smooth picture.

If you want to improve resolution then use the settings in the oculus app that is installed on your PC to run the headset. Go to devices, click on the headset and a menu for options will pop out on the right. In that menu find the resolution settings and try moving the slider from 1.0 to 1.1. If that still runs smoothly at a constant 72fps try to increase some more.

As far as I understand, each increase along the slider adds more supersampling which gives the illusion of higher resolution.

Alternatively you can try to run the headset at 90fps(hz) or 120fps(hz) and use the same methods to scale up the visuals until you no longer achieve a consistent frame rate to find the limit.

However if, you get frame dips from 90 down to 50 then back up to 90 the Quest 2 will not handle this well and you will get warping and ghost images and all sorts of horrid artefacts. The Quest 2 gives a better sensation of smooth frame rate running consistently at 72hz than it does running 90hz most of the time but with spikes.

Luckily Aces High is well optimised, especially if you turn off some of the eye candy that you don't really notice like reflections and detailed shadows.

When you try to run DCS in VR on a Quest 2 is when the weeks of tweaking and headaches start
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 06:10:08 PM »

When you try to run DCS in VR on a Quest 2 is when the weeks of tweaking and headaches start

I run Quest 2 at 90mhz in DCS without headaches and little tweaking

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 04:56:02 AM »
Comment Also carried over...........
Sorry to let ya down, but I dont know of anyway to adjust graphics settings with Quest,Rift1 or 2,HP,Pimax..ectect :bhead  FOV is fixed(AcesHigh=only sim that allows Hat Switch Views with VR), Gamma can't be adjusted...   You can tinker with IN-GAME Graphics Options, but most of those options only help to elevate FrameRate issues?    As per "I have seen better quality on youtube"..AH FILM playback, uses NON VR playback? Maybe 'Capture Cards' for editing/recording act the same way? NVIDIA Shadow Play use too.  Currently, Shadow Play doesnt work with AH, as "A full screen game is required to use this feature"   I have reflections,Shadows and a bunch of other things turned of or minimized, but they appear in "Film" with what I dont see in game play.  Thinking this is because 'DX' version/Non-VR settings are default in Film Viewer? :headscratch:   VoiceAttack, an aftermarket Voice activated , command executing program..."ONE"-changes salvo to one...""six"- salvo 6..."Level", "Speed", you see what i mean?  Like Clint Eastwood in Fire Fox :x  You will need to educate Windows Text To Speech though...easy- peesee. That program and AH Hat switch utilization..GAME CHANGING experience!  Question King..........Ask away Sir!  In Game..I am BW1stpar...see me on...and I will help all I can! :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 08:17:22 PM »
I run Quest 2 at 90mhz in DCS without headaches and little tweaking

Edit your own mission with a 100 plane WWII dogfight and tell me if things change?

If you play the modern jets or choppers it is much less important as most often you are shooting at low numbers of aircraft at ranges where mini stutters and ghosting are not visible.

Chasing a 190 at 400 yrds any kind of stutter ruins the feel completely.

Unless you are running a 4090 with a thread ripper CPU and 64gb RAM, I will predict that I could make your DCS game drop below 90fps in VR without trying hard.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 08:51:39 AM »
On my G2/3080/3900x system:

AH it just laughs at. I get a steady 90 fps in all situations with everything max'd out except environmental which I have at 1 notch. Hardly taxes it at all.

IL-2, depends on the weather. Literally. But with a fair amount of clouds I'll still get 65-75fps. Certain maps seem to get better fps than others there. Get closer to a large city and it takes a hit. No stutters.

MSFS is the one that really puts a strain on my system. Lots of stuff going on there on the ground and the air depending on what you want to see. Lots of extra crap to draw. Lucky to get 45fps but still playing with my settings. Problem there is--there's about a bezillion settings!  Weather is a factor there too. Lots of clouds hit the fps hard. I run a couple of mods that add stuff on the ground like radio towers and smokestacks where they should be and another that adds real world ship traffic. That all adds up.

Haven't messed with DCS. Hardly have time to fly these days like I used to. Unretirement and grandkids keep me busy enough!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 09:17:51 AM »
Had to upgrade my 850 apc ups as it was beeping crazy at me when I tried to run DCS with my latest rig even after unplugging everything but the cpu itself

Did not do that with AH

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals