Author Topic: Make distant dot behavior display resolution dependent  (Read 640 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Make distant dot behavior display resolution dependent
« on: April 17, 2023, 02:27:50 PM »

I was reading a very interesting thread over on DCS.
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/324002-improved-contact-dot-spotting/

The reason I bring this up is that we suspected a similar effect in AH during a scenario a couple of years ago.

What we realized was that those of us with VR HMD were consistently able to spot dots MUCH further way than our flat screen wingmen.  Even when told exactly where to look they had trouble especially against the terrain, when the dots were pretty apparent in VR.

Basically the approach of this guy's mod is to take display resolution into account on how the dots are rendered.  Basically start rendering dots for low res displays at a closer range to account for the large angular size of the dot at that res.

It's hard enough to get simulation to track real life capability.  One reason I have always been suspicious of no icons.  But there is no reasonable justification for someone to be able to get a distance spotting advantage by lowering their resolution.

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Make distant dot behavior display resolution dependent
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 02:43:53 PM »
Didn't pilots have different spotting abilities tied to their vision?

As vr makes the game look crummier and in all other sims kills your 6 view, the ability to spot better for some using it is as it should be imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 03:07:02 PM »
As vr makes the game look crummier

It already has tons of other advantages in tracking due to the abilities to easily lean and look around cockpit obstructions.

And it's not just VR specific.  Anyone running a lower res 2-D monitor also gets bigger dots.

You logic is basically that someone should be allowed a hack to make their cockpit semi-transparent because it is offset by making the gauges harder to read.

IMHO, you shouldn't be able to get a spotting range advantage by setting your resolution lower.  That's just silly.  Not in a competitive game. 

That would be like allowing icons for some running AMD processors, but not for others running Intel processors. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 03:30:02 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 03:56:48 PM »
I didn't say to hack anything..

I guess we all need to lower our internet speed and connection quality to the worse level so those of us with quality internet don't have an advantage over those that have crappy connections

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 04:07:05 PM »
I didn't say to hack anything..

I guess we all need to lower our internet speed and connection quality to the worse level so those of us with quality internet don't have an advantage over those that have crappy connections

Where possible you should normalize things you can control to keep a competitive game fair.  It's the reason a lot of games will boot a player with too much latency.

Why would you be against that if it can be done?  Because you think VR HMD should be able to spot dots further out?  Are you claiming that difference is a good thing?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 06:33:30 PM »
I don't care either way  :cheers:

I do wish vr had my monitor resolution even if it meant reduction in spotting

Eagler

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 06:37:21 PM »
All to do about nothing.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 07:00:34 PM »
I definitely would give up spotting distance to gain the 2d resolution. But I also wouldn’t lower my resolution on 2d to gain minimal spotting distance, but that is just me

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 08:19:39 PM »
I definitely would give up spotting distance to gain the 2d resolution.

Have you ever flown VR?  It has a lot of advantages already even though lower res. 

But I also wouldn’t lower my resolution on 2d to gain minimal spotting distance, but that is just me

I wouldn't drive a tank into a bugged building to  shoot out of it invisibly, but apparently people do.