Author Topic: My gunnery is horrible  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
My gunnery is horrible
« on: April 12, 2023, 09:18:25 PM »
I said what I said. If I could hit anything, I’d be dangerous. I forced three augers tonight on opponents with no ammo left. I’ll get there and when I do, look out.

Cheers to everyone tonight. Happy to be back in the game. I hate that I’m still a mute but I’m always listening and paying attention.
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: My gunnery is horrible
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 09:24:44 PM »
 :aok :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 06:41:47 AM »
Same… I float like a butterfly and sting like Mr. Magoo! :joystick:
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 07:11:57 AM »
There used to be (sure there still is) of scaling the stick to take nose bounce out. I’ve forgotten how. I know where to go to do it but I’m scared I’ll mess up something
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 07:30:31 AM »
Lead more/ shoot sooner but wait until you are as close as possible

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 10:11:16 AM »
There used to be (sure there still is) of scaling the stick to take nose bounce out. I’ve forgotten how. I know where to go to do it but I’m scared I’ll mess up something

I’ve got an old X52, my stick took a lot of “Advanced” tweaking to settle it down. My Y axis took a LOT of Dampening, like 95%. Dead bands is more around 10%, it doesn’t take much to go too far. And I used Scaling. It takes time to get to that honey spot. I’m still not totally happy with it. X axis was not as bad on my stick.

Running the stick on a powered usb hub took out a lot of spiking, but not all.

I don’t remember having to do so much years ago. Maybe the x52 doesn’t age well?

If you have an x52 I have screen shots of my settings. But again every stick can be different. It can depend how you fly too.

Every stick, even if the same model can require slightly different settings.

I think my stick is maybe just worn out, and prolly end up replacing it.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 10:57:45 AM »
Hit the home key then press F10. Then set a hat switch to "look forward". Then press that hat switch and use page up to make it so you are looking higher in the cockpit. Then hit F10 to save view. This will allow you to look more over the cockpit when shooting to help you with leading. Some planes can look higher than others.

Also, set your convergence between 375 and 400. This will help with leading as your bullets won't drop as fast. The higher your convergence, the less you have to lead, but too high and will have trouble shooting planes dead 6.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 11:22:21 AM »
Gunnery is one of the most difficult skills for many to master in AH.

You can use the lead computing site in the TA which gives you an idea how much lead you really need. If you want to come shoot at me in the TA let me know a good time. I can help with your controller set-up as well.

For the controller adjustments bring up the clipboard, options, controls, map controllers, then check the advanced box. That will open a new page that you can use to scale, dampen, or add dead band to. One thing to look at are the numbers next to the axis on the controllers page if they are jumping around a lot without you touching the stick then you probably do need some dead band, and or dampening. If they are rock solid then the nose bounce is most likely pilot induced and you might just want to add some scaling.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 12:12:14 PM »
... or just close your eyes and shoot.... like I do.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 12:30:05 PM »
My advice, pull more lead then you think, shoot early and watch them fly into the bullets. Eventually you’ll learn how far to pull for lead and when you should open up.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 01:10:18 PM »
One thing I do is to go to Offline Missions. Pick your plane of choice. You get more shooting in twenty minutes than months in the MA.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 01:35:25 PM »
Same with MNM .. more targets in an hour than all week in ma

Practice makes perfect

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 02:41:59 PM »
I will just add that in addition to playing with dampening/scaling , if your stick is older and has a lot of use, you may want to open it up and spray some electrical contact cleaner on/inside the potentiometers. I recently did that to my 12 year old CH Fighterstick and it made a huge difference for me. My movements are smoother and its easier to make small corrections. Also, dont just calibrate within Aces High. You should also be calibrating in windows, and then calibrate in AH.

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 03:41:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. S1k1 I’ll try to catch up with you in the TA. Hell of an idea to set a high up position for shooting over the nose.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »
 :salute i feel your pain bro  :salute :cheers: