Author Topic: The greatest comeback (that no one cares) :D  (Read 747 times)

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
The greatest comeback (that no one cares) :D
« on: May 02, 2023, 03:12:46 PM »
April in Aces High started off really rocky for me. Was having a horrible first Friday of the month. Went 3 kills for 25 deaths in 28 sorties, drunk off my ass. Then died right away in FSO which disappointed me. Decided I was gonna have to curb the drinking. Soo, this month after Friday I decided to quit drinking for the whole month. Just completely shut it off, it actually felt pretty good, despite some minor cravings. Well, slowly but surely I clawed my way back, each day doing a little better and getting some good runs in. I got the top kills in the whole arena in FSO the next Friday I played. In the MA, I went from a .8k/d and ended with a 5.2 kd. Started with a .05 k/s and ended with a 2.6ks. I had said earlier in the month to someone, "I'm gonna come back, you watch, sorta joking, well I noticed that Haggery was #1 in every category and realized I had to try. So in about 17 hours and 13 different fighters this month, I was able to come back and realized today that I got #1 fighter by one little ranking point. That points category gets me every time but i was able to have some solid runs for big points. It was a great silent competition and hidden victory for me! Especially since I wasn't able to steal it from Snailman last tour.  :lol

Anyway, just wanted to say that even when you are down and things seem stupid and you are having a tough time. That if you focus and get it done, you can make the comeback no matter how bad you get do. It was a great comeback for me this month haha, But who even cares about that score crap!  :rofl
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 06:11:12 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
Re: The greatest comeback (that no one cares) :D
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 06:27:39 PM »
Surprisingly I dont care about points either, I just try to be really efficient with every sortie...which gets you great rankings anyway.  I was going to congratulate you next time I saw you because I had a really solid performance and was surprised that I was passed.  I thought about going #1 across the board, but it was my birthday weekend and I didnt feel like bombing all day to go from 3 to 1.  Wouldve been demoralizing to see you pass me in fighters and finish 2-1-1-1.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 07:31:05 PM »
Good read V, thanks for sharing.
Congrats on curbing the consumption  :salute
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 09:19:02 PM »
Who knew that AH had health benefits?

- oldman

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 10:37:50 PM »
Good read V and congratulations also. Haggerty is a tough competitor as is Snailman.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 05:03:52 AM »

- oldman
I did,,,SAVED ME!!!!!!  IIR, Oldman, we discussed that a while back? Think it was the "ULBlizz" homecoming era?  I know TC and I talked about that.... My love/gratitude towards you fellers!? :salute  I get it..sounds cheesy...but true! I would like to think, I wouldn't have followed through...but I was in a Dark Place when I found you guys. 9 years ago?  9 YEARS? Already?  WOW!  Safe to say..I am over any BS that would have taken me down :aok Love you guys!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DFATITAN

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 09:28:36 AM »

- oldman

Good for my well being, bad for my marriage(s)... :bolt: :noid :rofl

Nice flying V!
S!
5" clay pigeon busting expert.

Offline MDStampf93

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 11:14:48 AM »
I too have noticed I perform much better when I'm not drunk off my arse  :rofl

Good work cutting down on the drinking  :aok
MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 12:25:10 PM »
Surprisingly I dont care about points either, I just try to be really efficient with every sortie...which gets you great rankings anyway.  I was going to congratulate you next time I saw you because I had a really solid performance and was surprised that I was passed.  I thought about going #1 across the board, but it was my birthday weekend and I didnt feel like bombing all day to go from 3 to 1.  Wouldve been demoralizing to see you pass me in fighters and finish 2-1-1-1.

Yes you did have a solid month! It's those kill points I tell ya!  :rofl gets me almost everytime for not playing enough.

It's tough to beat those bombers guys. Happy birthday! I don't blame ya...

Good read V, thanks for sharing.
Congrats on curbing the consumption  :salute

Good read V and congratulations also. Haggerty is a tough competitor as is Snailman.

Good for my well being, bad for my marriage(s)... :bolt: :noid :rofl

Nice flying V!
S!

I too have noticed I perform much better when I'm not drunk off my arse  :rofl

Good work cutting down on the drinking  :aok

Thanks guys! Yeah, that first Friday made me realize that almost drinking a whole bottle of 1792 wasn't exactly doing me well and certainly doesn't help flying :rofl Playing until 3am NOT drinking  isn't so bad actually. Made me realize that I really don't need it. Coming back from doing so poorly was a fun challenge. I love the challenge!

Maybe I'll try some tougher planes this tour like the P38, P40, D11, and hurricane, and mix it up a bit.

I also posted a couple of fun films in the Film and Screenshot thread if you are bored and want to check em out. Shows some good 1v1s and defense tactics I use.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 01:11:06 PM »
Wait a minute... one can play AH sober?   :headscratch:
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 02:06:57 PM »
Wait a minute... one can play AH sober?   :headscratch:

Lol. My guess it might be by the minority of us

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 07:11:33 PM »
Huge congrats and great read. I come here several times a week looking for personal stories from others but they are hard to come by. Much appreciated for sharing  :cheers:

BTW to those who matter we do care! One may ask who is it that matters? Those who matter are those who care 👊 💪
<S>
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 07:14:39 PM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 03:22:45 PM »
The entire reason I got back into the game was my chiropractor (I call her my shrink) suggested an avenue of stress relief at night. I had my commercial ticket and was doing some ag flying and got a DWI and lost my license. My life, at which turn, took another path. This game scratch’s my itch and is such a huge decompression for me after a long day.

Good luck on the points and curbing the drinking.
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)