Author Topic: Win 11  (Read 472 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Win 11
« on: May 07, 2023, 02:15:26 PM »
So, I decided to put together a new PC after 9 years

A Quick ctrl-C and this is it;

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-13700KF - 16-Core [8P @ 3.40GHz-5.40GHz / 8E @ 2.50GHz-4.20GHz] - 30MB Cache
GPU: GeForce® RTX 4080 16GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP - 4 MIN. Monitor Support (Single Card)
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5/5600mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB Memory
MB: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI: ATX w/ PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 6E, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2
Storage: 2x 2TB Samsung 990 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD - 7450MB/s Read & 6900MB/s Write (Single Drive)
Case: Lian Li Lancool-216 ARGB Gaming Case - Black (features x2 160mm ARGB fans)

Question is Windows 11.. How compatible is Win11 and AH?
Also, will AH be ok with my new build? (after all it's been a long time since I dabbled in a PC build)

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Win 11
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 03:07:21 PM »
I lost a few fps when I tried Win 11, so I went back to Win 10, though I liked the look of 11 better.   I don't think you will notice any performance issues at all running AH with this system.

VR is a must with such a powerful system, IMHO.    Should still reach your monitor's max refresh rate, even at 4K.   

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 10:23:35 PM »
Will the 4080 change resolution in Oculus Quest to something closer to 2d resolution? Wondering… I am playing with a 2080ti which is 6 percent more powerful than a 3070.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 01:24:53 AM »
That rig is so über in every detail that you should not see a performance hit in any game. I'd even underclock it to cut the energy bill! The article about underclocking is in Finnish and for paying subscribers only, suffice to say that some 10% underclocking takes just a couple of frames away but cuts the power consumption by a quarter. Depending on your resolution and refresh rate the lost frames may well be in the overhead margin so it'll be a win-win.

Will that rig run AH? Definitely yes. Well, maybe you might struggle a bit with a 8k monitor at 244 Hz.

AH is Win11 compatible. The biggest problem with Win11 for me is the relocating of settings and the bunch of new apps calling home every so often. For Win10 I have learned the paths to disable unwanted features, for 11 it still requires a tiresome scrolling through every single subtitle to find the background resource hogs.

One example is Edge: It starts with Windows, loads the "New Tab" in the background - by default the MSN news site which refreshes every second, communicates with other Windows features and apps and continues running even after closing the browser window. And all this is to save your time when you need your browser!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 01:12:07 PM »
Thanks chaps, I'll keep an eye out for Edge.
Underclocking seems a bit out of my league of understanding. I really am not all that hardware proficient.

I didn't think it was that uber with the i9's and those AMD Rizon eleventymillion core beasts I was looking through.
I'm really hoping that I can stretch one more year and get a full 10 years out of this build this time around, now you've said that  :lol .

Has win11 got those silly telemetry spyware "features" that sap performance?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 01:37:53 AM »
Has win11 got those silly telemetry spyware "features" that sap performance?
Most likely more than Win10. At least there's a ton of new Microsoft apps which at the very least check for updates in the MS Store every so often. Fortunately all the new ones can be uninstalled. So after a thorough fumbling through the settings there's not too much background activity - and that's something that has been recommendable to all versions of Windows.

As for under/overclocking, it's no longer that difficult or dangerous. There's apps from CPU, MB and GPU manufacturers and at the very simplest you just push a button to find a stable overclock setting. But as said, overclocking mostly increases power consumption and it does that exponentially. I haven't studied the apps but most likely there's some that allow pulling a slider back or choose a percentage in a drop-down menu for underclocking as well. In any case, unlike overclocking, underclocking basically makes any system more stable. And of course that can be done in the BIOS/UEFI as well.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni