Author Topic: What Are You Aiming At?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: What Are You Aiming At?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2023, 07:38:35 PM »
I've always had a difficult time wrapping my head around this. Say I'm in lead pursuit approaching from hi 10:00. I'm pushing for neg G's with an aim point in front of my target. My guns are set to D400. As I'm approaching D500.....I'm supposed to neutralize the stick (unload G's) and fire?   Seems to me that the bandit will be passing thru the sim point before the rounds will. If I doube or triple the aim point further out, isn't that now becoming a crap shoot?

Please explain this so even a moron can grasp it  :x

It depends if you want to track the bandit or set up a stream of fire for the bandit to fly through. You seem to understand already that to unload G you just increase the lead enough to time it properly. It's not a crap shoot if you use the training tools provided in the TA  to learn the lead required.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2023, 07:58:05 AM »
To better increase aim accuracy, perhaps it would be beneficial to reassign guns to my throttle. I recall Hitech giving that advice years ago but it didn't make sense until now. :bhead

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2023, 08:58:00 AM »
To better increase aim accuracy, perhaps it would be beneficial to reassign guns to my throttle. I recall Hitech giving that advice years ago but it didn't make sense until now. :bhead

Please elaborate how this helps?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2023, 10:15:20 AM »
I've yet to configure my throttle but here's the theory: whether you're unloading pos or neg G's,  the actual process requires a return to center axis, right? That movement, however slight, interferes with the "FIRE ALL" trigger pull of the joystick as well as aiming...with deflection or otherwise.

Does that make sense?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2023, 11:42:36 AM »
Please elaborate how this helps?

Basically when you "yank" on the trigger, you have a tendency to yank on the stick there by undoing all that work you did to get into the right position, the right G load, and the right aim point.

If your trigger is assigned to the throttle you wont be bouncing your stick around as much....... in theory.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2023, 11:45:59 AM »
I've yet to configure my throttle but here's the theory: whether you're unloading pos or neg G's,  the actual process requires a return to center axis, right? That movement, however slight, interferes with the "FIRE ALL" trigger pull of the joystick as well as aiming...with deflection or otherwise.

Does that make sense?

You aren't necessarily returning to axis center . For gunnery you reduce G load, it doesn't have to be 0. OG is for max acceleration. Also G load with axis centered would depend on trim.

If you're disturbing the stick position with the trigger you could try a lighter grip on the stick.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 11:53:40 AM by FLS »

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2023, 12:40:40 PM »
Basically when you "yank" on the trigger, you have a tendency to yank on the stick there by undoing all that work you did to get into the right position, the right G load, and the right aim point.

If your trigger is assigned to the throttle you wont be bouncing your stick around as much....... in theory.

Thanks that makes sense but I would work on my grip as mentioned first.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2023, 02:40:22 PM »
You aren't necessarily returning to axis center . For gunnery you reduce G load, it doesn't have to be 0. OG is for max acceleration. Also G load with axis centered would depend on trim.

If you're disturbing the stick position with the trigger you could try a lighter grip on the stick.

So what g rate do you recommend?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2023, 05:50:31 PM »
I recommend unloading to the point where your sight picture is correct. Since you are turning, you pull a bit past the aim point then ease up on the stick. If it's not a turning shot you're probably shooting at 1g and don't have to think about unloading, just the correct lead.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2023, 01:16:55 PM »

A while ago I got a VKB Gladiator and noticed the buttons are quite stiff on it, including the trigger.

My old X52, I never particularly noticed an issue with gunnery using the trigger because it was a very light spring.  Moving to the VKB, I noticed a substantial improvement with my accuracy moving fire all to my throttle.

YMMV of course, and I'm sure I could figure out some kind of technique on the trigger to minimize it.  However, the same as I could also use a twisty instead of my rudder pedals, I'd just rather use the thing that gets results.

I'm a big believer in it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11