Author Topic: MA Terrain Maps in Operational Navigation Chart style  (Read 2710 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: MA Terrain Maps in Operational Navigation Chart style
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2023, 05:17:18 PM »
Here is Kong's "Crags" MA terrain in the Operational Navigation Chart style - a fantastic example of authentic physical geography and landforms.   Really looks quite realistic and believable.  This is map number 19 in the MA rotation.  Per a suggestion I've tried to include the locations of the CVs and the ports they are tied to, while trying to remain in the overall theme of the Operational Navigation Chart.  This are the starting locations of the boats when in offline mode.  Not sure I like it but it's a first try at it anyway.  Feedback appreciated as always!

Click image for full-size 2088x2500px version

This map is also interesting for its complete lack of shore batteries, and heavy reliance on small, short fields.  Only 1 large AF and 4 Mediums per country; the rest are Smalls.   No BB Groups, either.   I'm interested in hearing opinions of how this map plays out when its up in the MA.   I haven't seen enough of it.

:salute

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2023, 10:33:10 AM »
I like realistic maps. There are some sims, where one has to orientate with map and compass only. No dar showing you on the map, neither cons nor friends let alone icons. Challenging.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2023, 11:30:36 AM »
I like realistic maps. There are some sims, where one has to orientate with map and compass only. No dar showing you on the map, neither cons nor friends let alone icons. Challenging.

I like that too.  When you have to navigate by landmarks and water features, too. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2023, 11:41:59 AM »
Very nice indeed.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 12:30:11 PM »
Here is Greebo's "Mindanao" MA terrain in the Operational Navigation Chart style, number 6 in the MA terrain rotation.  The clipboard map terrain in this terrain was quite dark, so I underlaid and blended it with a true physical relief map of the island.  Hopefully that works OK.  I've again included locations of the CVs and the ports they are tied to, while trying to remain within the overall theme of Operational Navigation Chart style. 

This is the 9th MA terrain I've done in the style.   I also have smaller, black and white versions of these maps suitable for printing on 81/2 x 11" paper.   If people are interested I can link those here.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 06:00:17 PM »
I didnt think it was Greebo that made this map. I think as it was one of the original maps, that a player named SF I think built it? I thought the only map Greebo made was Crater, and he rebuilt and killed the Tank town in the crater  :cry

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 07:09:03 PM »
Thanks, Fugitive.  I'm not sure how I got the impression Greebo made the Mindanao map.  I'll have to ask him if he did or remembers who did.  Many times the creator of the terrain is listed in the terrain downloads section of the clipboard, but Mindanao's creator is not listed...

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2024, 08:05:47 PM »
Very nice Oboe. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2024, 09:39:29 PM »
Thanks, Fugitive.  I'm not sure how I got the impression Greebo made the Mindanao map.  I'll have to ask him if he did or remembers who did.  Many times the creator of the terrain is listed in the terrain downloads section of the clipboard, but Mindanao's creator is not listed...

Asking Greebo is a good choice. BTW, I love the map YOU made. I appreciate that your trying to give credit where its due, but I I sorry I side tracked a great work of art.

<S>

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2024, 11:36:08 PM »
Wow, these are beautiful. Maps such as these make the game more immersive while adding character and feel in my opinion. Another aspect that these maps would more than accentuate immersion would be the changing of the naming system. If Hitech would allow names like A51, for example, to be changed to something like "Fencer Field" or "City" to be something like "Pyro City" and the like would be cool and far more immersive. Naming places and things after prominent players of the past or present I think would add character and makes it easier to remember and familiarize where spots are on the maps. " There's a group of Lanc's flying low on the north side of Hitech Mountain otw to Nobaddy!" Valleys, mountains and bays etc. could take on "Milk Run Alley, Furball Island" and the like on the map. Air Warrior did a bit of this long ago. I remember "The VOD" or "Valley of Dweebs" in particular or folks doing a milk run to "BigRod....a Field named after "Nick BigRod." I don't know, adding history and stuff like that adds to the feel and immersion for me. Not too sure if it does for others.
Anyhow, these maps are amazing and it'd be cool to download as a PDF and hang on a wall near my rig for reference. I'd love to strafe the Hell out of Pnus troop training center someday and look it up later on my glorious map.
 Fantastic work, Oboe.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2024, 08:48:33 AM »
Thanks very much guys.  It's nice to know when people appreciate something you've created for the game. 

Fugi, I checked with Greebo and you are right sir, he didn't create it.  Greebo thinks it was most likely created in-house by an HTC staffer.   Don't know how I came about that misapprehension <shrug>.  Thank you for pointing it out; I'll either drop of the author entirely or replace it with something like "HTC".   I'll correct this map and repost the link to the corrected version.

Thanks xanax - I agree about the naming of fields and geographic areas;  would be cool to see.   In the case of real-world locations like this, we'd all learn some geography, probably not a bad thing.   And in the case of made-up terrains, it might be nice to make memorials out of field names and such, out of respect for longtime players or those that have passed.   

A note about printing them - I think the color balance is currently optimized for viewing on a monitor; I think the colors maybe a bit intense for printing.   I'm experimenting with creating "print-ready" versions which have the color intensity dialed back somewhat.  At some point I'm going to have Kinko's or some local copy center create poster-size versions of my favorites of these maps just to see how they look on large format paper.  I'll post my findings and results when I do that.

:salute

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2024, 09:27:33 AM »
Updated version:

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2024, 10:07:10 AM »
Map makers, skins, and what Oboe does here, puts s face on AH. Thanks for every minute of time put into these projects you chose to take on.

That said, round maps give the gamey arcade impression (sorry), realistic maps give the sim impression, IMO. It would be nice to weed some out. You guys have really honed your skills over time.

IF (a massive word), HT updated the 3D engine, without any new ideas or changes, AH would accelerate to top tear again. And you guys would put us there. The game would sell itself. Us dreamers dream big, so then there’s that.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2024, 11:25:39 AM »
I am going to plot one of these large format to see how it looks. Might be suitable for framing on the wall next to my rig.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2024, 11:38:24 AM »
Updated version:

(Image removed from quote.)

My fav
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP