Author Topic: The infamous SS Blacky  (Read 225 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
The infamous SS Blacky
« on: June 15, 2023, 05:37:22 PM »
In the early thirties helmets were scarce in Germany. WWI helmets and Austrian helmets were all that they had. The M16 WWI helmet was the first choice in available helmets. When the SS was formed and insignias were hand painted if done at all.

That changed on August 14 1935 with a directive that decals would be installed on SS helmets.

What is interesting is the black SS helmets never saw battle. they were essentially parade helmets. They, along with the black uniform were phased out in 1940. But the sinister look of that helmet was taken off the shelves by the GI's.  None were worn in the battles. But they had the LOOK.

And I have to agree. I have a M16 helmet shell and decided to see if I could capture the look. Found a place in France that makes excellent decals applied the same way as originals.

An original blacky in the same condition as my impression has a price tag now of approximately $25,000. Just a "tad" out of my price range...

But I captured the look for a whole lot less.  :aok

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: The infamous SS Blacky
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 02:38:25 PM »
One popped up that is reasonable. The rune is kinda rough. You get what you pay for.

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: The infamous SS Blacky
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 04:45:24 AM »
1916 WW1 was raving in Europe and Hitler was a corporal. The SS, Schutzstaffel ("Protection Squadron") was a major paramilitary organization under Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party in Nazi Germany, and later throughout German-occupied Europe during World War II. Founded April 4 1925 so I wouldn't buy SS-helmet from year 1916. Reissued or not, I have some doubts concerning its originality.