Author Topic: Why No USA?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Why No USA?
« on: June 14, 2023, 12:10:47 AM »
Of all the many superb maps our makers make, why no home cooking for the MA?

I have wondered since 2007ish as to why there is no USA or North America map? Even a Western hemisphere with both N and S America would seem to fit with the style this game is played within the MA. I think we know where in Texas an HQ would be located.  :banana:

Is there a reason? One of my retirement goals in 10 years or less “fingers crossed” is to learn how to make cool AH terrains. Dabbled in my early days but never to the level of the current crew. So until then I just wonder.  :old:

To me, pound for pound, the real Earth terrains are boss. Thanks to the amazing cartographers we have and where is the prime time map? :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:12:23 AM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why No USA?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 08:28:58 AM »
We do have one set in the USA - "3 Points".   

It is set in the upper Great Lakes region; I think you can make out Michigan and Wisconsin/UP, and southern Canada.

Its a challenge to find natural geography that lends itself to 3 roughly equally-balanced sides, while supporting CV & BB Groups able to strike each side.   Kenai did well to spot the potential in the Great Lakes; its something I never saw...

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 08:29:13 AM »
I have a couple of blank North America maps waiting for attention.  :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 12:12:38 PM »
Was a really nice surprise to come back to the map of Europe in the MA yesterday.   I know we don't deal with historical realism but I always thought it would be pretty neat.

So welll done on all the time and effort it took to make.   I'll just have to swap country to whoever occupied England.   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 12:54:21 PM »
Was a really nice surprise to come back to the map of Europe in the MA yesterday.   I know we don't deal with historical realism but I always thought it would be pretty neat.

So welll done on all the time and effort it took to make.   I'll just have to swap country to whoever occupied England.   :D

Kenai is working on the North America map. It’s looking pretty killer! https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,406252.msg5409344.html#msg5409344
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 01:54:05 PM »

Thank you sir, Oboe was instrumental on that map, as a matter of fact our discussion on the forum got it started. There is another real world map in rotation now, Blacksea you may find it interesting as well.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 02:39:15 PM »
@Bruv

Welcome back, sir!   Here's a map I made of the ETOMA terrain in the style of the Defense Mapping Agency's Operational Navigation Charts.

Click image for full-size version:

I've created these for several of the other realistic-looking or real-world terrains. 

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 12:44:55 AM »
I know we don't deal with historical realism but I always thought it would be pretty neat.

My house wasn't there, just a small tree. Neither was Zandvoort beach nor racing circuit. Rubbish  :old:

Are you back to see Santa in the MA or staying for longer. If so, how many of the squad-dudes did you bring back with you?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 07:26:33 AM »
I've been at a bit of a loss since having to vacate my gaming bedroom for the latest iteration.  Finding time and motivation to kill bad guys has been really hard the last year or more.

Getting a new PC didn't help having to setup everything.  It's amazing how many little tweaks and tricks go into getting things how we like them.   I've managed that for DCS and AH now so at the moment I'm more inclined to play the MA for the short periods of time I do get.

I've had no squadmates for years we have all drifted onto different things.   

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2023, 07:28:06 AM »
It looks great oboe and I look forward to seeing the others kenai.

:salute
The Few ***
F.P.H