Author Topic: Anything interesting going on in the world today?  (Read 5924 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Anything interesting going on in the world today?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 12:06:03 PM »
A little off topic, but did you know that most of our Military submarines have a max depth of 2,500.
I found that interesting.  There are a few that can go much deeper, but not many.
Hope we have subs in the game someday.  :joystick:

Coogan

I was just reading about that the other day. Was curious because of the Titan submersible situation.

That's still a long way down. For such a huge boat.

Also read about the Scorpion, which imploded - they think laterally.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2023, 12:10:43 PM »
I find it quite Unsurprising  :rofl

You know I used to look at GG's shameless self advertising as attention seeking (no offense gg). But to be fair it is proven time and time again it is impossible to discuss anything on this board with out it turning into a pissing matched and eventually a locked thread.

Hell we cant even discuss a 111 year old shipwreck with out it degenerating into conspiracies about the main stream media and how terrible their politics are and how great ours is!
Fully grown children we all are :)

It's not attention seeking. Just that I see this place as a joke compared to what it was back in the day. In the old days, it was full of life. Interesting topics and people. Now it's moderated into what it is now.

Seriously just wanting to be able to discuss real things and can't. People are WAY too thin skinned.

Honestly - look at ICOM right now. It's people that originated from here from 1999 or so on. It has real discussions.

I was thinking about this place as we were discussing Russia and thought - you know - a MAJOR world event and no one even posted a peep about it over here.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »
The window was only rated for 4,000 ft. and the CEO knew that, yet went down anyways.  I could care less if it was just him, but he sold tickets and took passengers.
Then there's the Carbon Fiber sides..  lol  (that didn't work out well)   The nose and tail were made of Titanium and that's why those were found intact.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2023, 12:13:02 PM »
That window was only rated for 4,000 ft. and the CEO knew that, yet went down anyways.  I could care less if it was just him, but he sold tickets and took passengers.
Then there's the Carbon Fiber sides..  lol  (that didn't work out well)   The nose and tail were made of Titanium and that's why those were found intact.

Coogan

Yep. That's what I was saying from early on.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2023, 12:13:41 PM »
Boroda in over at icom, but we have not heard from him in a few days. He lives in Moscow.

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2023, 12:20:12 PM »
It's not attention seeking. Just that I see this place as a joke compared to what it was back in the day. In the old days, it was full of life. Interesting topics and people. Now it's moderated into what it is now.

Seriously just wanting to be able to discuss real things and can't. People are WAY too thin skinned.

Honestly - look at ICOM right now. It's people that originated from here from 1999 or so on. It has real discussions.

I was thinking about this place as we were discussing Russia and thought - you know - a MAJOR world event and no one even posted a peep about it over here.
I mean, those are the rules and they've been in place for a long time. You keep complaining over and over about it but you are still here.

From what I can see it's the same usual suspects that get stuff locked, whether it's politics or trolling or the same 2 or 3 people getting into a pissing match with personal insults back and forth. Titanic thread was seemingly fine until it went off the rails with conspiracies and politics.

Round and round we go!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2023, 12:21:19 PM »
The window was only rated for 4,000 ft. and the CEO knew that, yet went down anyways.  I could care less if it was just him, but he sold tickets and took passengers.

Coogan

I thought they said 4000 meters!?  :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2023, 12:23:05 PM »
As far as threads being locked here -

Some people here really like how the place is moderated. That's fine.

In my view, why would you lock a thread an penalize the OP just because a few other people derailed it? Everyone else loses because a good topic gets permanently locked.

The better approach is LESS moderation. Let people ignore the people they don't want to heart from.

We've been calling thus forum "NK" for years. Since about 2008.

Good content is being shut down because people here ( or the mods) have very thin skin.

Yeah - they say it's a business and that kids are here. Really? How many kids do you think come to ANY forum?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2023, 12:24:32 PM »

No Sir.  That window was only rated for "4,000 feet".

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2023, 12:34:43 PM »

No, I was only certified to 1,300 meters. The man who pointed that out, along with other concerns, was fired. That man said the company that made the window would not certify it for a lower depth and the CEO of the sub company didn't want to pay for a 4000 meter certified version.

I'm pretty sure lateral pressure is just as much on these subs. Why the people would cheap out on the window is amazing. Doesn't matter how strong the rest of the death tube was/

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2023, 12:46:14 PM »
someone asked me to link some threads

here's the Russia Coup thread. It's 6 pages. Anyone can read the forums. You don't need to register.

https://icecreamonmars.com/index.php?thread/1457-russia-coup-2023/&pageNo=1

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2023, 12:57:25 PM »
Who asked? Just out of curiosity.  :D

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2023, 01:02:24 PM »
<SNIP>
In my view, why would you lock a thread an penalize the OP just because a few other people derailed it? Everyone else loses because a good topic gets permanently locked.
<SNIP>

How does my thread being locked penalize me?
I put in a request to lock it as it went the usual way.
Thanks Rosie. <S>
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2023, 01:09:10 PM »
How does my thread being locked penalize me?
I put in a request to lock it as it went the usual way.
Thanks Rosie. <S>

Why would you request to lock your own thread?
Would make more sense to request booting the users derailing it.

Coogan
Game Id's: