Author Topic: The P47 Was HUGE! Picture Proof Within!  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
The P47 Was HUGE! Picture Proof Within!
« on: July 18, 2023, 11:29:35 AM »
I actually thought the P51 and 190 were bigger.

Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: The P47 Was HUGE! Picture Proof Within!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 12:17:19 PM »
Now that's really interesting! No wonder it's not that easy to shoot down, so much empty fuselage!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 12:47:32 PM »
It's not actually empty, it's full of ducting for the turbo charger, (which is also very large), and intercooler which sits in the aft section of the fuse. The backwards facing scoop on the bottom of the fuse is the exhaust for the turbo. The wastegate exhausts right behind the oil cooler flaps on the lower forward section of the fuse. The doors in the middle of the fuse are for the intercooler.

:salute

Sent from my SM-A015U using Tapatalk

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 01:39:10 PM »
It's not actually empty, it's full of ducting for the turbo charger, (which is also very large), and intercooler which sits in the aft section of the fuse. The backwards facing scoop on the bottom of the fuse is the exhaust for the turbo. The wastegate exhausts right behind the oil cooler flaps on the lower forward section of the fuse. The doors in the middle of the fuse are for the intercooler.

Sent from my SM-A015U using Tapatalk
Also in the rear? For some reason the tails are more or less (the Zero) aligned which pronounces the huge engine compartment. But what's behind the pilot?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 02:55:13 PM »
See here at: https://jasmodel.shop/products/zs110073-wwii-military-aviation-art-print-republic-p-47d-thunderbolt-cutaway-drawing

BTW the Yak-3 was 3 ft shorter than the Me109.  I think the Yak-3 might've been the smallest fighter?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 02:56:44 PM by oboe »

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 03:41:46 PM »
I think the Yak-3 might've been the smallest fighter?

The I-15 is only 20 ft long. Even shorter than the I-16 by an inch.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »
Here are some good pics of the turbo installation, and ducting on a P-47. https://lynceans.org/all-posts/the-complexity-of-a-ww-ii-p-47-thunderbolts-powerplant/

The jug also had a engine driven single stage supercharger so it was in fact turbo-super charged. The pilot had no control over the supercharger but was entirely responsible for the boost level of the turbo.

Just an fyi the P-47 was the largest, and most expensive single engine allied fighter of WW2.

Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles has a very good series of videos on the jug. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQuq2FHdeE

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 04:38:48 PM »
Here are some good pics of the turbo installation, and ducting on a P-47. https://lynceans.org/all-posts/the-complexity-of-a-ww-ii-p-47-thunderbolts-powerplant/

The jug also had a engine driven single stage supercharger so it was in fact turbo-super charged. The pilot had no control over the supercharger but was entirely responsible for the boost level of the turbo.

Just an fyi the P-47 was the largest, and most expensive single engine allied fighter of WW2.

Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles has a very good series of videos on the jug. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQuq2FHdeE

Love that cutaway with out the body, can see there is not much space left after you put the cockpit in.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 04:40:06 PM »
See here at: https://jasmodel.shop/products/zs110073-wwii-military-aviation-art-print-republic-p-47d-thunderbolt-cutaway-drawing

(Image removed from quote.)

BTW the Yak-3 was 3 ft shorter than the Me109.  I think the Yak-3 might've been the smallest fighter?

So how do we know what propellers our 47’s have?

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 05:17:14 PM »
So how do we know what propellers our 47’s have?

I could be wrong but I think the D-11 razorbacks have "toothpick" propellers while the D-25 and up have the paddle prop

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 11:48:49 PM »
Some of the living quarters are downstairs too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 01:33:32 AM »
Thanks oboe! They really have quite a lot of big pipes there. There's a lot I don't know about aeroplanes and the little I know is based on some live examples which obviously doesn't apply to all planes, not even from the same era. The only plane I've been able to take a close look at was the Brewster and it sure had just empty space behind the pilot. The bullet holes in the rear of it had no impact to manoeuvrability.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 06:39:23 AM »
Yes they take 2 or 3 taters compared to 1 most other planes take

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 07:35:11 AM »
Thanks oboe! They really have quite a lot of big pipes there. There's a lot I don't know about aeroplanes and the little I know is based on some live examples which obviously doesn't apply to all planes, not even from the same era. The only plane I've been able to take a close look at was the Brewster and it sure had just empty space behind the pilot. The bullet holes in the rear of it had no impact to manoeuvrability.

Hey I wonder Biz, if that empty space was originally used for life raft storage, as the earlier versions of the Buffalo were intended for carrier operattions, but the export models didn't need to carry a life raft...

You are lucky to see a Brewster up close; have you seen them fly?   

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 08:43:31 AM »
During our Spring Meeting in 2007 (or maybe 2008?) we were privileged to visit the restoration space of the last existing Brewster BW-372. People who have seen them fly are mostly dead, I suppose...

Kotisivuni