Author Topic: Poll for players about future formats for FSO Hour 2  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Poll for players about future formats for FSO Hour 2
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2023, 02:49:51 PM »
I try to keep the first hour airframe for as long as I can. Once I lose it then it's balls out hair on fire.

I like having a plane, and mission assigned to me, and trying to accomplish that mission.

I feel that the second hour seems to devolve into a furball, for the most part.

Not much into GVing, but as long as I can put something competitive into the air I'll fly.

As a CiC I don't want to, nor do I normally write orders for the second hour.

I guess a little bit of B, C, and E.

Sure that clears it up for you.  :D

:salute

Well said, squaddie. I concur.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2023, 07:38:36 PM »
Hour one should certainly remain one life.

Maybe multiple lives in hour two with some adjustments to score? Something like hour one survivors get extra points/multipliers for objectives/kills or hour two planes get 1/2 points for not surviving the first hour?

The historical matchups are the awesome part of FSO. If it just becomes a free for all, then interest will diminish.

"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2023, 08:21:12 PM »
Hour one should certainly remain one life.

Maybe multiple lives in hour two with some adjustments to score? Something like hour one survivors get extra points/multipliers for objectives/kills or hour two planes get 1/2 points for not surviving the first hour?

The historical matchups are the awesome part of FSO. If it just becomes a free for all, then interest will diminish.

Yeah, Hour 1 will always be one life. Also, the free-for-all aspect of Hour 2 will still be limited to planes of the historical match-up. It's just that a player could switch from a bomber to a fighter, or vice versa. I'm not suggesting going outside of an event's plane set. I've heard several players state that while the usual free-for-all Hour 2 format is fun, it does lose what makes FSO special. So now I'm trying to gauge how the bulk of the player base would like Hour 2's formatted.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2023, 12:04:48 PM »
Yeah, Hour 1 will always be one life. Also, the free-for-all aspect of Hour 2 will still be limited to planes of the historical match-up. It's just that a player could switch from a bomber to a fighter, or vice versa. I'm not suggesting going outside of an event's plane set. I've heard several players state that while the usual free-for-all Hour 2 format is fun, it does lose what makes FSO special. So now I'm trying to gauge how the bulk of the player base would like Hour 2's formatted.

Mostly I just think there should be some incentive to stick to the first hour rides regardless of the second hour format.

I also think we the players might be interested in switching up the standard format a bit? To be clear, I’m just spitballing here and haven’t put a whole lot of thought vetting it out…

Something like one side is trying to blitz a position with combined arms (GVs and attack aircraft) and the other is trying to stop the onslaught primarily with aircraft (maybe some defensive howitzer M3s) The objective being that the ground forces reach a bridgehead or something. Winning could be determined by whether a certain number of GVs cross a bridge?

I know it would be tough to achieve balance but it would be pretty cool to use certain aircraft and vehicles in their respective roles.

Something like a bunch of American LVTs trying to storm a beach while being defended by Japanese Jeeps and Val’s or something weird like that. Mix in a Ki43s and some wildcats while capping the altitudes at like 5-8k.

Again. Just trying to think outside the normal FSO box.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2023, 05:24:41 PM »
Mostly I just think there should be some incentive to stick to the first hour rides regardless of the second hour format.

I also think we the players might be interested in switching up the standard format a bit? To be clear, I’m just spitballing here and haven’t put a whole lot of thought vetting it out…

Something like one side is trying to blitz a position with combined arms (GVs and attack aircraft) and the other is trying to stop the onslaught primarily with aircraft (maybe some defensive howitzer M3s) The objective being that the ground forces reach a bridgehead or something. Winning could be determined by whether a certain number of GVs cross a bridge?

I know it would be tough to achieve balance but it would be pretty cool to use certain aircraft and vehicles in their respective roles.

Something like a bunch of American LVTs trying to storm a beach while being defended by Japanese Jeeps and Val’s or something weird like that. Mix in a Ki43s and some wildcats while capping the altitudes at like 5-8k.

Again. Just trying to think outside the normal FSO box.

That sounds pretty cool. FSO still rake in the numbers for ground and air?
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2023, 05:50:39 PM »
That sounds pretty cool. FSO still rake in the numbers for ground and air?

Last month had a GV element for the 2nd hour. The unlimited lives and short return flight/drives made it viable.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1Canukk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2023, 08:36:31 AM »
C… :salute

JG11  Sonderstaffel , Geschwader Kommodore

The P51 D was made by the Gods for men to fly. 
 The FW190 D  was made by men, for Gods to fly .

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2023, 10:02:49 AM »
C

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2023, 12:59:20 AM »
C is good. I believe the 2nd hour should only be 2 lives max(although I sorta like one life per hour more because its supposed to be "realistic". However as timing is everything in FSO, hour 2 basically should attempt to begin like hour 1 where everyone re groups and rolls at the same time towards the objective. IMO, perhaps some could change between fighters and bombers, however it could be very damaging from a scoring perspective, as tonight 2nd hour bombers had no air support and basically got waxxed. They still got their target, but don't think any made it back alive. Then a few fighters came in after and got waxxed. So the timing was off and it really helped axis. If scoring is going to take part in second hour, then it should try to be as organized as first hour is some regard, because it could have a negative impact on one team scoring due to lack of coordination. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 01:07:29 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2023, 12:55:57 PM »
I like C but as Violator said it has its issues. For a coordinated second hour strike the first hour objectives have to be positioned so an attack group can launch, hit target, and recover before second hour begins. Otherwise you get guys or even whole squads launching late or bailing so they can make second hour. That also somewhat limits tactics, as the attack group has a lot less time to get to target. Same thing with the second hour objectives.

I would also vote for 1 life per hour. In my opinion, knowing we can just relaunch takes away some of the thrill of the FSO fights.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline weiser

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 02:33:47 PM »

I would strongly go with c, but will remain a FSO member no matter the format, that's where
E comes in.
weiser
co/162ndFG"Purple*Hearts"
success doesn't always mean fun
but having fun is always successful

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2023, 07:27:43 PM »
I like C but as Violator said it has its issues. For a coordinated second hour strike the first hour objectives have to be positioned so an attack group can launch, hit target, and recover before second hour begins. Otherwise you get guys or even whole squads launching late or bailing so they can make second hour. That also somewhat limits tactics, as the attack group has a lot less time to get to target. Same thing with the second hour objectives.

I would also vote for 1 life per hour. In my opinion, knowing we can just relaunch takes away some of the thrill of the FSO fights.

Valid points. I have a solution in mind to ensure that there is ample time for turnaround.

Since Option C easily has the most support, I will go ahead and design September's FSO around having two complete missions. Stay tuned.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2023, 07:51:06 PM »
I tend to work a lot of weekends. Option C seems to be the best fit. But at the 1.5-hour mark I start to lose interest. Perhaps missions that have an air start in the 2nd hour and scale back the time to 45 minutes instead of a full 2nd hour? There's a lot of factors that weigh in, such as hitting the first hour target at the 55-minute mark, thus making it more difficult to launch in the 2nd hour because you are trying to rtb. I don't think there is ever going to be perfect scenario, but we do what we can, right?  :salute

Check 6!  :cool:
Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2023, 07:59:05 PM »
I tend to work a lot of weekends. Option C seems to be the best fit. But at the 1.5-hour mark I start to lose interest. Perhaps missions that have an air start in the 2nd hour and scale back the time to 45 minutes instead of a full 2nd hour? There's a lot of factors that weigh in, such as hitting the first hour target at the 55-minute mark, thus making it more difficult to launch in the 2nd hour because you are trying to rtb. I don't think there is ever going to be perfect scenario, but we do what we can, right?  :salute

Check 6!  :cool:

My plan is to have two sorties with a max time to target being 45 minutes for both. Details to follow when the event is announced.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2023, 04:56:33 PM »
I'll go with C but I do like some of the previous 2nd hours where there was fast action.  I think this is good for keeping folks around for the 2nd hour.

For E, drink some coffee spiked with your favorite adult beverage :).  Just kidding, I know some have to work the following morning and it's quite late on the US East Coast.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 05:00:44 PM by Shrike »
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95