Author Topic: Why doesn't Aces High Sound Like This...  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Why doesn't Aces High Sound Like This...
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 05:10:23 PM »
We have 360 degree sound before FMOD and aces high 3 were a thing. I know this because I've gotten into arguments with twinboom about why on earth he made stereo sounds for this game when Skuzzy has stated many times only mono recordings would properly work with 360 degree 3D surround sound the game used.

Yeah I could have sworn sounds in AH2, but I wasn't sure if I was just making that up.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline IntelDan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 02:12:36 AM »
Stereo sounds in FMod would be a mistake I think. My brother played with twin-engines to recreate their separation but it causes other problems.

Stereo wav files are not the same as 3D effects. in FMod you can change what is heard by distance and angle from the source. The Lancaster, C47, B17 and I think B29 are examples of what can be achieved and I think a lot more is possible with more time.

The startup sounds were a mistake. Rather than poop on the efforts that were made why not just use the defaults or start your own sound project. I think anyone could directly input a previous sound pack and make it work with FMod. It wont be as good as one that uses FMod as it is intended but its also not hard to do.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 04:16:17 AM »
Not for years. My first AH3 PC didn't have a sound card and I just got used to it. There's enough visual cues I guess.

Yeah yeah!  Still waiting on you, to "Show me the way"!   :rofl  Just funnin with ya,Sir! Its amazing how those sounds send Goosebumps, to me anyway!  :airplane: 
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 04:55:47 AM »

I've flown in that twin seater in the first clip. Quite the experience.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 06:28:56 AM »
I've flown in that twin seater in the first clip. Quite the experience.

Marvellous. How did it feel in movement?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2023, 01:45:06 PM »
This is the sound I want:

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2023, 03:54:13 PM »
We have 360 degree sound before FMOD and aces high 3 were a thing. I know this because I've gotten into arguments with twinboom about why on earth he made stereo sounds for this game when Skuzzy has stated many times only mono recordings would properly work with 360 degree 3D surround sound the game used.

This is correct.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2023, 04:01:46 PM »
Stereo sounds in FMod would be a mistake I think. My brother played with twin-engines to recreate their separation but it causes other problems.

Stereo wav files are not the same as 3D effects. in FMod you can change what is heard by distance and angle from the source. The Lancaster, C47, B17 and I think B29 are examples of what can be achieved and I think a lot more is possible with more time.

The startup sounds were a mistake. Rather than poop on the efforts that were made why not just use the defaults or start your own sound project. I think anyone could directly input a previous sound pack and make it work with FMod. It wont be as good as one that uses FMod as it is intended but its also not hard to do.

I don't think some realize what a massive difference FMod made, especially with engines cranked up masking it's other effects. I wasn't sure at first, until I dug into making this current vid with sounds and heard it work. I really think players interested in sounds should take up learning it. It was a great move for quality. It's not as complicated as it's just different. If you can learn Vegas or Premier, you can learn FMod.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2023, 05:54:01 PM »
And I say this as someone who hasn't used sound at all in Aces High for about eight years, but I would if:-

Is this not possible with spatial sound algorithms and modern soundcards & wotnot?

<Shrug>
Because you would have to be at one fixed point with aircraft flying at you and that's not what the game is about.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2023, 02:58:30 AM »
Because you would have to be at one fixed point with aircraft flying at you and that's not what the game is about.

Surely all movement involves relative and not absolute positions?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2023, 03:39:52 AM »

Unless... Tank, M3, chute :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2023, 07:23:03 AM »
Surely all movement involves relative and not absolute positions?
I'm sure it has more to do with economics and the reality of the 22 year old game code.  If you hadn't noticed game updates hardly ever happen I don't remember the last time any one associated with game management was on the game playing.  I think it runs on servers in a garage somewhere in Texas.   As much as those of us that have been here for the long game, would love for new players and a return to the days of 600 in the arena on any given Saturday night, none of that is going to happen. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2023, 08:48:12 AM »
Servers are in a cooled closet more or less.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2023, 08:51:36 AM »
Marvellous. How did it feel in movement?

Amazing to fly. All I was allowed to do were a few flat turns left and right. The weather was shocking at Beachy so we flew over the estuary for 40 mins or so.

Strange thing though. After the first 15 mins of awe at being in a spit...I hate to even admit this...but it just felt like flying in any other aircraft. With elliptical wings and roundels admittedly. But the thrill was short lived. Perhaps because my work puts me in an aircraft multiple times a day six days a week. I'd rather go for a 40 min flight in a pitts special that I'm allowed to fly. But still, very special to have been in one flying.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2023, 06:16:33 PM »
You should check out Challenger’s soundpack.   External sounds, in particular, are excellent.  It’s a thrill to be on the field when a P-38 takes off or buzzes the field…
I saw the link for it but how exactly to use it without having to mod folders to soo many sounds..

Jokers Jokers
"CAN'T TALK NOW.....GOTTA SHOOT!" - Dan Zoernig
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - 56th FG