Author Topic: Why only flying one plane is not the answer  (Read 3690 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Why only flying one plane is not the answer
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »
The A5 should be flown only with the wing root 2 20mm*151, and leave the wing 2 20mm FF at home, give even better performance, and those 2 FF's not only weights it down ( bok for attack vs bombers though) they also have a very low muzzle velocity.
Specially flying in pairs the A5 are very lethal and survivable.

Yeah, I'd generally recommend only going with the 2 20s once understanding the game and plane better. However as a noob I'd probably recommend taking 4 just to be able to down planes even more quickly in the fight. I don't really think the weight difference will have too big an impact given their limited understanding of the flight models and plane capabilities but its up to them. For me, more firepower is key to downing planes faster and staying alive, not chasing them down and getting picked because they cant get enogh hits on the guy. Either way, it's still a really fun and under utilized plane.

And I still remember the flight lesson you gave me flying the Spit8 against your Jug. Reminds me I still owe you for that lesson... :) Some of the best flying I had ever seen.

Reb28

Yes, he is very good in the P47 and I'm not saying he's been "doing it wrong". My point is that a noobie who loves the P47 and only wants to fly that, is going to have a very tough time generally using that plane for base defense on a strong enemy attack rather than taking up something like a Ki84, spit, Brew, or something similar that is more versatile in the deck fight being able to dodge planes easier and get around on BnZers 6s faster.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2023, 04:55:59 PM »
I've seen yucca and lilmak do things in a jug that defy gravity lol they can make it almost float and hover that jug while my brew just Flys right by them... love the jug wish I could fly it
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2023, 10:55:36 PM »
I've seen yucca and lilmak do things in a jug that defy gravity lol they can make it almost float and hover that jug while my brew just Flys right by them... love the jug wish I could fly it

YUCCA is an overshoot master. One of the best in the biz. I'd recommend you fly it to bases as an attacker and try not to get down in dirty low n slow too early. I imagine that would be tough for you given your style ha. But always good to practice. The p47 is NOT a noob plane. It takes patience and you have to BnZ most of the time and regain your alt if you don't want to get ganged/picked quickly. Its a decent turn fighter but you really have to know what you are doing. I had a really good tour with the D40 last month. Really enjoy flying it. One of its hidden wonders is being able to get flaps out very early at high speeds to force the overshoot, it also has amazing up elevator Trim that can give you insane lift in the rolling scissors. You just have to love the 8 50s too. Except when its on your 6!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:59:54 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2023, 12:44:25 PM »
Yeah, I'd generally recommend only going with the 2 20s once understanding the game and plane better. However as a noob I'd probably recommend taking 4 just to be able to down planes even more quickly in the fight. I don't really think the weight difference will have too big an impact given their limited understanding of the flight models and plane capabilities but its up to them. For me, more firepower is key to downing planes faster and staying alive, not chasing them down and getting picked because they cant get enogh hits on the guy. Either way, it's still a really fun and under utilized plane.

One problem is that you use up those 60 or 90 drum magazine FF shells in the A5, you're basically flying with 2*20mm mg151 that have 250 shells of  ammo storage.
If you need firepower the A8 is the answer, changing the 2 20mm FF for MG151, and up-gunning the 7mm peashooters to 13mm that hurt some.
Flying the A8 in a dogfight is for the experten , and never ever stay below 300mph if you don't want a fast trip to tower.

The A8 and 109g6 along with AH - died to me with the all-seeing mountain-penetrating real-time radar that does not resemble even the current radar systems.
You can even look at the radar when you lost visuals at  the plane you are dog-fighting against.

I suggest reverting the radar to like it was before and only field small maps. SA is a main key to AH as it should be.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2023, 04:39:58 AM »
There is a 109 for every occasion

I don't need anything else

:rock

:aok

Once you learn how to fight in a 109 and have learned how to transition on a whim between the BnZ and the TnB you're almost an unstoppable force.
Not to mention, once you learn to fly the 109 well, you can fly any plane well.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2023, 05:01:07 PM »
The trick to flying one plane successfully is simple.... make sure ity has 2 engines.  :devil
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2023, 03:40:39 AM »
The trick to flying one plane successfully is simple.... make sure ity has 2 engines.  :devil
You misspelled 'Blenders'!  :devil :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2023, 09:40:09 AM »
I tend to stay away from the uber planes.

In AW the Spitfire was the uber plane, the path of least resistance to get kills/points.
As soon as a Spit jockey bragged of kills it ended with, “ya, but you fly a spit, so…”.

In AH it seems to be the 109, why its perked. IMO, anything with nose guns will be more accurate and require less ammo per kill.

When I move from 51 (wing guns) to 190s (nose guns) my kills double. If I’m going after buffs it will more likely be an 190-A8. More accurate, more gun power.

Killing a 109 with a 51 is gratifying.

IMO, people who complain about a Runstang probably don’t understand how to fly it. After 2 turns it requires time to rebuild lost E, or it keeps dumping and becomes an easy target. A 109 can turn all day.

Skills of a 51 jockey will be pretty good in a A5 or A8. If I’m going to TnB its going to be in a Spit or Yak, with ease.

Selecting an AC that compliments your style of flying is key. Sometimes its muscle memory. I don’t want to fly a TnB then move to a BnZ. Easier to go from BnZ to TnB…IMO. 51 is my msin plane.

But that’s just me. <shrug>
I suck no matter what I fly, I still have fun.
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2023, 10:16:26 AM »
I remember that it was either Rude or Midnight that taught me when I first started flying:

fly slow first so you can learn how to fly fast

Best advice ever to give a new pilot learning to fly. Great chats here guys.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2023, 10:23:40 AM »
Yes the 109 is so easy to get kills in you see the skies in ma filled with them... not!

Every plane has its advantages and disadvantages when flown against a different plane than itself..then when the plane is the same it depends on the pilot and who has the most buddies close by that determines the outcome

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2023, 11:51:11 AM »
Yes the 109 is so easy to get kills in you see the skies in ma filled with them... not!

Every plane has its advantages and disadvantages when flown against a different plane than itself..then when the plane is the same it depends on the pilot and who has the most buddies close by that determines the outcome

Eagler

Yeah the 109 is definitely not a beginner plane. It's lack of dive ability and cockpit views make it very tough for people to get shots. It's because you have know how to set up shots rather than lead from the 6, and that takes time and practice. It's maneuverability is decent but you really have to understand flaps and throttle in vert ACM. The 109k is a very solid plane, but easy to compress and tough to get shots if you don't understand crossing and snap shots. The G14 is great, but still challenging if you don't know what you are doing especially if you don't use gondies.It's a decent turn fighter but really have to understand vert ACM and angles which is advanced concepts. Crazy to think its a 25 eny plane  :rofl Yhe G2 is a lot of fun, but slow which makes it easy to get picked and not able to catch planes as easily. The Ki84 is a better plane to learn before jumping into the 109, imo. Very similar planes but the ki84 has a little better views, better roll rate, and maneuverability. I wouldnt consider the 109 in most cases a defense or attack plane, it's more of a mid alt furballer and bomber interceptor. Its great for furballing but you really have to learn defensive ACM more than other turn fighters or you will get picked since you cannot dive fast out of the fight if you have a guy bearing down on you.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 11:54:26 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2023, 04:09:08 PM »

Eagler

I didn’t say it was easy. My point was, as with many AC, once its learned its a killing machine. Guns, capabilities, power, E recovery… Doesn’t matter who flies it, its a brute compared to many other AC. Why its a fav.

Now the spit is easy.

The power killers are perked for a reason.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2023, 04:16:06 PM »
Yeah the 109 is definitely not a beginner plane. It's lack of dive ability and cockpit views make it very tough for people to get shots. It's because you have know how to set up shots rather than lead from the 6, and that takes time and practice. It's maneuverability is decent but you really have to understand flaps and throttle in vert ACM. The 109k is a very solid plane, but easy to compress and tough to get shots if you don't understand crossing and snap shots. The G14 is great, but still challenging if you don't know what you are doing especially if you don't use gondies.It's a decent turn fighter but really have to understand vert ACM and angles which is advanced concepts. Crazy to think its a 25 eny plane  :rofl Yhe G2 is a lot of fun, but slow which makes it easy to get picked and not able to catch planes as easily. The Ki84 is a better plane to learn before jumping into the 109, imo. Very similar planes but the ki84 has a little better views, better roll rate, and maneuverability. I wouldnt consider the 109 in most cases a defense or attack plane, it's more of a mid alt furballer and bomber interceptor. Its great for furballing but you really have to learn defensive ACM more than other turn fighters or you will get picked since you cannot dive fast out of the fight if you have a guy bearing down on you.

I’ve seen you dump planes with only few-several rounds. I prefer not to be down range with you in a 109. Once its learned and muscle memory develop, that thing is just wicked.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2023, 04:48:37 PM »
I remember that it was either Rude or Midnight that taught me when I first started flying:

fly slow first so you can learn how to fly fast

Best advice ever to give a new pilot learning to fly. Great chats here guys.

That is exactly what I do with newer folks. I get them to fly low and slow and learn to use flaps. When you fly fast, you can go right through targets. At some time you will end up slow somewhere and need the skill to survive. Learn slow first.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2023, 07:12:00 PM »
dude, glad some of you fly different planes, I am all for it.  when I started it was the zero, one of them, then the spits, then the niki, everythime I landed kills, it was blah, blah, fly the 190, 109, goon, whatever.  now I fly the p51, been flying it for over 10 years, if eny goes to hell then I fly all the other pp planes.

Pony was my love.  now when I fly unless I am the only unlucky one, i see a mix of planes ponies are not in the top of them.

so as to why flying one plane is not the answer you didnt ask the question.  we fly what we want, whenever we want eny permitting. other than that get rid of bombers and gv's

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.