Author Topic: A decent pellet grill  (Read 310 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
A decent pellet grill
« on: August 18, 2023, 06:14:09 PM »
Left my recteq in Idaho when I moved back to Texas. It's been a while since I bought a new grill. Looking at the RecTeq RT-590 discounted right now which is about the size I need. Any suggestions?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: A decent pellet grill
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 06:39:42 PM »
I have a Pitboss 850 and a Pitboss 150 (the tabletop one). I see various ones tend to get firesold at Walmart and stuff at the end of the season if you're lucky. I'm not brand loyal but have had no issues with either Pitboss. I was originally gonna go with a Z-Grills but it ended up being backordered last year.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 06:57:42 PM »
Pitboss looks interesting. Will take a closer look.

Thanks.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 11:27:20 PM »
I've had the Pit Boss Austin XL for over a year, and I've had zero issues.  I love it.  1000sq in of cooking space.  Got it at Walmart regular price $497.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 07:22:35 AM »
Have had this brand for 2 seasons now, https://www.campchef.com/shop-woodwind-pellet-grills/ .
Had to replace the fireboards main thermal probe.  One call and replacement sent out.

I'm looking to upgrade/add another. 
https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/pellet-smokers-coming-soon

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 08:06:26 AM by knorB »

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 08:11:35 AM »

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 11:12:36 AM »
They sell a contraption that hooks on to the side of a Webber.  I think that's where I'm going.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 01:31:10 PM »
I have an offset for smoking these days but have used a weber for many years. Still do for quick stuff. I have a Slow N Sear for it so I can separate the charcoal to one side. I can smoke with that as well using the water pan that comes with it and the snake method with wood chunks. It does a great job of reverse sear method for steaks and chops.

I have another gizmo called a TipTopTemp that sits on the top vent on the lid. Has a spring operated damper you can adjust and it'll regulate the temperature really well. I like it---no moving parts. Slow N Sear + TipTopTemp + snake method is just about as set it and forget it as a pellet grill is.

Don't have a pellet grill as these two get me what I need. I'm a whacko that likes to play with the fire so I love using the offset. Just pressing the button would kill all my fun! I should be out there today. Perfect weather here. Dodgers have a double header.! Women have other plans for me. Dangit!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 05:45:24 PM »
Pitboss looks interesting. Will take a closer look.

Thanks.
Honestly I feel like they're all the same in one way or another. Traegers seem a bit overpriced, but I think any price variation in grills you're just getting different features. I wanted wifi so mine was a bit more. I also bought a pizza oven for it which has been fantastic.

I have an offset for smoking these days but have used a weber for many years. Still do for quick stuff. I have a Slow N Sear for it so I can separate the charcoal to one side. I can smoke with that as well using the water pan that comes with it and the snake method with wood chunks. It does a great job of reverse sear method for steaks and chops.

I have another gizmo called a TipTopTemp that sits on the top vent on the lid. Has a spring operated damper you can adjust and it'll regulate the temperature really well. I like it---no moving parts. Slow N Sear + TipTopTemp + snake method is just about as set it and forget it as a pellet grill is.

Don't have a pellet grill as these two get me what I need. I'm a whacko that likes to play with the fire so I love using the offset. Just pressing the button would kill all my fun! I should be out there today. Perfect weather here. Dodgers have a double header.! Women have other plans for me. Dangit! (Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Nice setup! It was perfect here today too. I have a normal Char-broil grill, Blackstone, and Pitboss. Seems like overkill but I like having different options. Friday it was steaks on the grill, today was chicken stir-fry on the Blackstone, tomorrow is ribs on the smoker.  :cheers:
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com