Author Topic: Signing up for an argument  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
Signing up for an argument
« on: August 23, 2023, 07:36:36 PM »
I've decided that I wish to register a complaint. Not for any real purpose beyond being able to make my mostly-known proclamations without the ch200 character limit and to compel the less witty amongst us to say that I'm "crying".

1) Yak-3. Having the ability to 'nope' out of any situation with its acceleration and climb rate combined with a tiny airframe, it really doesn't need to be impervious to bullets as well. It takes more hits to down a Yak3 than any other fighter in my experience, and even some bombers. If you want to double your K/D immediately fly a Yak3. Just be sure to never, ever be caught more than 30 seconds away from help or ack.

2) Stick-stirring. If to survive you feel that you must spaz your stick around and pull +/- 5G to create warping, you've already lost in my book. Whether you call it a torque spin, snap roll or defensive maneuvers.... no. They're not. It's gamey nonsense and you're taking advantage of networking limitations in order to avoid being shot down in a fight you've already lost. Have a little respect for yourself and others, take the L and move on.

3) 88mms and manned guns. It seems their sole purpose in life is to intrude upon those who wish to dogfight, from a position that allows them to earn kills but not to be killed themselves. That just seems so off, especially when I have to fly 10 minutes to get back in the fight, while they can just insta-spawn into the action endlessly. If all the folks that spend their efforts shooting at planes from the ground actually upped a plane, so much more fun could be had.

4) Giant maps. While it's been nice to see some fresh maps, and a big <S> to the map makers, some of the older ones really need to go. I only get about an hour a day to fly, and more often than not the amount of fun to be had is dictated by which map is up. The worst ones seem to take the longest to roll, too.

5) Side-switching. I really don't care about spying, or the war overall, but it seems unfair for people to be able to acquire effectively unlimited perks by auto-switching. It's causing situations where players can just fly a Tempest for entire tours and still end up with more perks than they started with. Side-swapping already puts you at an advantage in many respects, so I really don't think tripling their perks is helping things at all, other than for the half-dozen or so players that actually do it.

I'll leave it with my top 5, for now. I look forward to ignoring most of you, or engaging some  ;) :salute :bolt:

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Signing up for an argument
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 08:35:37 PM »
Yak3 should be aleast an 8 eny. It's a super late war plane. Same with the 190D. Extremely tough planes to kill and the K/D proves it. Amazing E planes like these are a big advantage.

The floppy thing is something I really wish could be looked into a solved. It's not a good look. You think a plane should lose all this E pulling those stunts from your screen and some how they pull right up and climb 1.5k.

88s I can't stand as well. Very lazy. Very annoying. It's like a sniper from the base. 1 hit wonder to ruin your sortie. I've had the same issues in the past. The distances these things can fire is crazy.

With you on the maps. I've tried. A huge map with 40 players just ain't good. People want fights and action. I log in, see nothing going on and leave. Lack of action and big fights keep the #s low and cause people to log earlier.

I don't really care about the side switching, wish it was a 3 hour limit though, but the temp should be as much perks as the 262. It's just as good if not better and the kills plus K/D prove it. Way too many people fly it. It's a total crutch plane. I just passed 20k perks. I could fly it all day every day, but then I'd really feel bad. Look what I'm doing in a P47D40, could you imagine if I flew a temp every day... sheesh..  people need to challenge themselves.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 08:39:52 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 09:20:28 PM »
You won't get any argument from me regarding the 88's and the players that use them. They bring nothing positive to the game. I'd extend rationale that to any manned gun - especially the 5in ship guns with the proximity fuses. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 10:33:08 PM »
This will be fun one. Going to think about my answers!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 10:34:56 PM »
5) Side-switching. I really don't care about spying, or the war overall, but it seems unfair for people to be able to acquire effectively unlimited perks by auto-switching. It's causing situations where players can just fly a Tempest for entire tours and still end up with more perks than they started with. Side-swapping already puts you at an advantage in many respects, so I really don't think tripling their perks is helping things at all, other than for the half-dozen or so players that actually do it.

Thank you for letting me know that I get extra perk points for being a mercenary!  Who knew?  Now I'll have to check to see how many perk points I have, if I have any at all (can you go negative if you're really bad?) (do I really want to know?).

I doubt that those of us who opt to auto-switch do so for perk point advantage.  Generally there are only a half-dozen of us, out of a hundred players, at any given moment.  (Go to the roster and look for the green highlights.)  Obviously, the perk point advantage isn't drawing a big crowd.  We do it in a sense of fairness (to even the sides), and in the hope that we can find non-ganging fights, even if against superior odds.

So I imagine that auto-switchers would be fine to sacrifice whatever perk point advantage we're getting. 

So let it be written.  So let it be done.

- oldman

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 03:43:07 AM »
I don't care about points, never calculated them and to be honest, I have no clue how the whole system works. Totally insignificant for me. Especially now when I have obligatory break because of malfunctioning pc...    :mad:

1) Never tried Yak3, have to do it when I get my pc fixed. Working on it. 190D I fly and die in it. Nice kite but w/ my skills, far away from uber.

2) Lag might have something to do with it. We here in EU are far away from server and that creates lag/ping. I do not know how my flying looks from a cockpit of my chaser but I've been wondering some kites jumping around like pingpong balls.

3) I have tried 88 against aircrafts. Never hit anything flying with it but been 1-pinged by them several times. I use them only against GVs stalking bases. In that they are brilliant, as it was in WW 2.

4) Oh, I just love to be 1-pinged after half an hour flight to enemy base... 

5) My solution has been to fly only for 1 country. I've heard rumors the two remaining ones have proposed me a medal or two by being their best secret weapon...    :headscratch:

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 05:55:28 AM »
Concur about Yak. It takes more to destroy then most planes. Not sure why. I've seen arguments here that it is too fast especially in dive. Worth looking into. Absolute monster of a plane. It can outpace most planes, turn with great turners, climb with 109s of this world. Short clip and legs are the only limitations really.

Also vote for smaller maps. 30-40 people is a norm most times those days, and large maps mean i log on, look over, no fights, log out. With smaller maps action would be condensed. I wrote up a proposal while back to have "constraining maps" based on numbers with back bases being disabled for flight/refuel/rearm and targeting. Kinda "battle royale" effect. It would force people into smaller area without forcing map change when numbers drop. It will, however, require some coding logic...

As for 88s, i can't hit jack with them and they are needed to discourage low level bomber nerds, so I'd vote stay.

stickstirring, netcode migth be hard to get around, but E penalty should be larger. It's not uncommon to make a pass on a plane, he does bunch of high G and negative G "moves", you overshoot and he climbs with you as nothing has happened...

as for side switching, I don't care. I think most people in game have more perk points then they can use, so makes no difference.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 07:02:14 AM »
I agree with all of them Simon but #5

I recently went back to auto assign for side balance only

I don't spy nor give 2 shakes about perks...I have more fighter perks than I can ever use

I think #5 is the answer to better game play but it would take EVERYONE to be one it to work correctly imo

Then the horde gangs would be diluted which should even out some of the battles and keeping sides within one or two

I also think the lower subscribers warrant a switch to two sides but that involves coding that doesn't look possible at this time

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 07:42:09 AM »
Simon, I'm in agreement with all of your well articulated gripes. Unfortunately, the only person able to affect change has taken a leave of absence from the game.

:salute

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 08:25:18 AM »

I should clarify my take on side-switching. The only thing I don't like about it is the bonus perks awarded for auto-switching. It seems to be causing a proliferation of Tempests and is resulting in even greater advantage to those that already have the benefits associated with side-switching.

They have the benefit of situational intelligence, no ENY and increased perks multipliers by flying the country with lower numbers. They have a choice of 6 different fights, vs the 2 options that I have on any given night. Logging in to spend my evening chasing darbars that don't want to be found is frustrating, especially when I see all the action is over on the rook/bish front.

Again, I'm fine with side-switching. I'd do it myself if I wasn't in an active squad. The bonus perks are unnecessary and creating an imbalance that affords a very small group of players to acquire perks at a far higher rate than the rest of us and use them to create further advantage for themselves.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 08:54:39 AM »
Squads/teams need to get over themselves imo and go auto assign for the health of the game

Being a lone wolf type - this is very easy for me to say

:cheers:

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 09:33:43 AM »
I should clarify my take on side-switching. The only thing I don't like about it is the bonus perks awarded for auto-switching. It seems to be causing a proliferation of Tempests and is resulting in even greater advantage to those that already have the benefits associated with side-switching.

Leave Hoagi alone! He is my friend!  :old: :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 09:35:46 AM »
3) 88mms and manned guns. It seems their sole purpose in life is to intrude upon those who wish to dogfight, from a position that allows them to earn kills but not to be killed themselves. That just seems so off, especially when I have to fly 10 minutes to get back in the fight, while they can just insta-spawn into the action endlessly. If all the folks that spend their efforts shooting at planes from the ground actually upped a plane, so much more fun could be had.

Everything you said on this is true.

Maybe if we were to at least be able to get a kill or assist on killing 88's that would help neutralize this highly abused feature. 

Thank you.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 09:40:12 AM »
Everything you said on this is true.

Maybe if we were to at least be able to get a kill or assist that would help neutralize this highly abused feature. 

Thank you.  :salute

Says the guys who come into a field, deack it and vulche. Being "killed" while using a man gun, will not stop its use, your fooling yourself if you think so. Its all about defending the base, like it or not. IF your earned a kill every time you took out someone in a man gun, whining would still continue.  :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 09:48:50 AM »
It's not the 88 that is the problem  but the unrealistic accuracy some of it's users are able to achieve

It is all about base capture/defense right? lol

Seems some parts of the game harm other parts of it

Eagler