Author Topic: Get Out There and Vote!  (Read 1891 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Get Out There and Vote!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2023, 10:22:41 PM »
How do they model the throttle and collective?

- oldman

Fixed wing aircraft have trim that effectively neutralize forces against your flight controls. The effect in fixed wing aircraft is that your controls remain centered without force applied when trimmed. This works the same in your simulator that does not have force feedback controls. Trim the aircraft and you can let go of your spring centered controls. Helicopters work differently. Through magnets and magic you can press a button and where you are currently holding your stick becomes a new center which will remain there if you let go. If you were a sim designer how would you handle that? 
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2023, 09:41:37 AM »
Depends on your hardware.
But you have a axis and key binding for throttle if you have one.

If you don't you can use the keyboard or since it is fully interactive cockpit, just put the mouse cursor over the throttle and I think the mouse wheel will roll it on\off.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »
I'm using the Virpil collective for DCS helos, but you don't need a custom collective, I used a regular throttle for years and it works ok.

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2023, 06:28:51 PM »
17 hours to go.

Looks like DCS is the clear choice. Maybe I will do it again in like a month with a better crafted question.

Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2023, 06:35:01 PM »
I'm using the Virpil collective for DCS helos, but you don't need a custom collective, I used a regular throttle for years and it works ok.

Not at all.  My point was that DCS will work with a cheapy stick all the way up to God-like hardware that makes me woody.

Currently I use one of these for collective:

It actually works dang well.  The length of the lever arm helps me make fine adjustments when hovering. 
Better than the Thrustmaster sliding throttle I used to have.  That was fine for fixed wing, but delicate adjustments were too grabby with sticktion.  I even tried a 3rd party mod that helped but was not good enough for me.  I put on the cap that links all the levers together as one collective.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2023, 06:57:05 PM »
Depends on your hardware.

If you have the whole setup it supports it.  I think Virple and others make high end systems.  Full size collectives and cyclic sticks.  If you have the money. If it detects lesser sticks it will auto set throttle as other than some startup stuff it's where you have it 99.96% of the time.  But you have a axis and key binding for throttle if you have one.

[edit]  This is what you need...;)

(Image removed from quote.)

I know what I will never afford to get  :cry
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2023, 09:04:37 PM »
Strange action with the poll. Your screen shot shows 535 votes. Now there are only 503. AH dropped by 5 votes, DCS by 17, WT only 1, il2 by 7, and wow by 2. Very interesting to me the largest % drop there was AH. 🤔
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2023, 09:47:00 PM »
Strange action with the poll. Your screen shot shows 535 votes. Now there are only 503. AH dropped by 5 votes, DCS by 17, WT only 1, il2 by 7, and wow by 2. Very interesting to me the largest % drop there was AH. 🤔

I'm seeing the same as Dadtallica.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2023, 06:23:07 AM »
I've played all 3 of the good ones, i'm going to ignore wart thunder completely and always will.

Il2 - very arcade flight model, massively over powered damaged model. The game is very fun, but it's more about the special effects than any kind of flight fidelity.

AH - solid flight model though strangely lacking in a few areas such as the great difficulty to do consistent hammer head stall turns. Perhaps they were difficult in war birds but they are very easy in the light aircraft I've had a go in. Highly detailed damage model although it appears that wings and control surfaces fall off slightly easier than the old gun cam videos.

DCS - Varying flight models due to different developers making different aircraft. I'd rate AH flight model above DCS, by a small margin. Damage model seems to be the best to me. The level of detail in the number of systems that can be hit is far above the other two games.

The most fun? AH has held my attention for longer periods than any other flight sim, so...no brainer. Though these days i'm only playing DCS in VR when WW2 combat is desired.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2023, 10:53:36 AM »
I've played all 3 of the good ones, i'm going to ignore wart thunder completely and always will.

Il2 - very arcade flight model, massively over powered damaged model. The game is very fun, but it's more about the special effects than any kind of flight fidelity.

AH - solid flight model though strangely lacking in a few areas such as the great difficulty to do consistent hammer head stall turns. Perhaps they were difficult in war birds but they are very easy in the light aircraft I've had a go in. Highly detailed damage model although it appears that wings and control surfaces fall off slightly easier than the old gun cam videos.

DCS - Varying flight models due to different developers making different aircraft. I'd rate AH flight model above DCS, by a small margin. Damage model seems to be the best to me. The level of detail in the number of systems that can be hit is far above the other two games.

The most fun? AH has held my attention for longer periods than any other flight sim, so...no brainer. Though these days i'm only playing DCS in VR when WW2 combat is desired.

Yo Bat! You should play in the Combat Challenge tomorrow night, albeit, probably too dang early for your time zone now that I think about it.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2023, 10:54:14 AM »

I'm seeing the same as Dadtallica.

Re-clicked on the link this morning and all of the votes are back. That is very strange!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2023, 11:24:27 AM »
17 hours to go.

Looks like DCS is the clear choice. Maybe I will do it again in like a month with a better crafted question.

(Image removed from quote.)
It is worth mentioning that the games with a lot of votes (DCS, IL2, WT) have pretty populated subreddits and a generally younger crowd. I doubt there's more than 10 people on this forum with a reddit account to be honest.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2023, 11:28:45 AM »
That’s for sure. I tried breathing some life into but nobody here was very interested.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2023, 11:45:34 AM »
It is worth mentioning that the games with a lot of votes (DCS, IL2, WT) have pretty populated subreddits and a generally younger crowd.

And a boat load more players.  99% of whom probably have never flown AH.

And some AH players voting that probably have never spent any meaningful amount of time exploring DCS.

So I don't think those results say anything about the stated topic.  I think it is a straight popularity contest.  A proxy for market share.  It is simply telling you which games people are committed to.

I wouldn't be surprised if the proportions of market share and revenue map pretty cleanly with those result. It's not bad insight, just not what was asked.

Although it might not be too far off from accurate even relative to the intended question.  But since most voting have not spent meaningful time in all those sims, it is untrustworthy evidence.   For instance, I don't think WT would beat AH in flight and damage model if someone had played a lot of both.  Maybe I'm wrong.  What you got was a lot more people saying they like WT and not really commenting in AH because they've probably never heard of it.

I didn't vote because I had only really played enough of half of them to compare each to other.  For those that I'd played enough to be willing to hazard an opinion, I'd rank them:
1. DCS
2. IL2
3. AH
4. WT

I've always thought AH was a compromise between IL2 and WT.  DCS is kinda off in its own little genre.

[Edit]
Also I think that wasn't be best forum for the question you asked.  They are heavily skewed to the MSFS crowd.

I would have suggested something more combat sim related like Hoggit.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 12:28:05 PM by CptTrips »