Author Topic: Lt. Lloyd Wenzel - P-38L "Ho-Hum The Second" (F5N) - 474th FG, 428th FS  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Lt. Lloyd Wenzel - P-38L "Ho-Hum The Second" (F5N) - 474th FG, 428th FS
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2023, 08:40:51 PM »

But seriously, thanks for the compliment--and the research help.

Guppy and Virgil are the two guys I'd go to for any questions on the P-38.  Those two guys have taught me so much, man!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Re: Lt. Lloyd Wenzel - P-38L "Ho-Hum The Second" (F5N) - 474th FG, 428th FS
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2023, 09:46:44 PM »
Yeah, but I think you can step THERE just not above it.  But I don't know.  Lol

All of the fillet radius where the wing root meets the center nacelle is super critical, as is the side window itself. if you damage the fillet radius, or don't have the side window rolled all the way up, it causes a massive airflow disruption, and severe buffeting, even at take off. It is actually the fillet radius, from the leading edge back, at the center wing where the wing root meets the center nacelle, that is the cause for the relatively low critical Mach of 0.67, and the compressibility problem. Most do not know, but Hap Arnold convinced NACA to allow Lockheed to test it in the wind tunnel, and help develop a fix. They did introduce a slightly improved fillet radius. However, NACA developed an entirely new fillet radius, and a leading edge modification that worked with the airfoil and the center nacelle, it increased the critical Mach to nearly 0.75 without the dive flaps. However, as was the case with the 1875HP engines and the 13'6" Hamilton Standard hydrostatic high activity paddle props that were on the P-38K, the War Production Board denied Lockheed a short production interruption to introduce the new wing improvement.

I had a friend who said that he actually took off once with both side windows down. He said it nearly shook him out of the plane even before he raised the flaps and gear. It may have been Ken Lloyd, as he was a Pacific theater pilot.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe