Author Topic: Against all odds......  (Read 1160 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Against all odds......
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2023, 11:26:24 AM »
you beat me to it.

It comes in especially handy when trying to calibrate quickly. Having your throttle set just right for the speed your currently at makes for quick and precise calibrations.

Thank you for the compliment oboe  :cheers:

You bet,  :cheers:

Does knowing what throttle setting is right for the speed you're at just come with experience?   After I level from my climbout, I usually set for the Max cruise settings, which I beleive are 38" and 2300 RPM, something like that.  Then I let airspeed stabilized to around 235 mph before I got try to calibrate - quite time consuming and it makes me a sitting duck for too long on my bomb run....

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2023, 12:15:38 PM »

Does knowing what throttle setting is right for the speed you're at just come with experience?   After I level from my climbout, I usually set for the Max cruise settings, which I beleive are 38" and 2300 RPM, something like that.  Then I let airspeed stabilized to around 235 mph before I got try to calibrate - quite time consuming and it makes me a sitting duck for too long on my bomb run....

That is pretty cool indeed. Never saw it before.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2023, 12:22:25 PM »
Dunno why people keep projecting their insecurities on me.  I don't belittle honest effort.  I mock lack of effort, and even more so when the other parties double down on it.

It's not guff if you can back it up. While I possess some natural talent for this kind of game, I've also put in my time in getting as good as I am (was.)

Were you ever any good? I don't even know who you were in game however long ago it was you played. Probably no one of note.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2023, 02:39:40 PM »
That was just a reflection of 1000s of engagements where I had to deal with multiples on me - I used to handle it much better - getting multiple kills, but I'm still capable of surviving when I choose to these days.

I'm surprised you didn't go with "I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are." as your example. Even then, I would reply with "I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others."

However, with you, I think my location would most accurately represent the situation. I think my boy, Alcuin, was onto something with that vox populi comment.

When was the last time you actually played this game?

I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2023, 02:44:03 PM »
That was just a reflection of 1000s of engagements where I had to deal with multiples on me - I used to handle it much better - getting multiple kills, but I'm still capable of surviving when I choose to these days.

I'm surprised you didn't go with "I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are." as your example. Even then, I would reply with "I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others."

However, with you, I think my location would most accurately represent the situation. I think my boy, Alcuin, was onto something with that vox populi comment.

When was the last time you actually played this game?

Q.E.D.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2023, 03:18:13 PM »

yes you need to com0letely throw out your way of doing it. You should be able to level out, stabilize your airspeed via throttle, and jump right into calibration. All within 30 seconds. You can do this at low speeds or fast.

Oboe, study this video and see how much I change altitude and speed leading up to that final drop.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2023, 03:34:33 PM »
Funny how when I quoted you in the previous reply, it came thru as blank. I guess that was reflective of you generally have to say, nothing. And how appropos now, don't you think? 

Q.E.D.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2023, 08:37:45 AM »

E6B is your MASTER!   ZERO out your climb rate as per E6B reading. Doesnt matter what the "Speed" is for any bomber. This can be done outside of Bomb Sight as you know?Can even do that in a gun position.  After any last minute course adjustments a quick recalibration...still Spot On.    "Sitting Duck"...well yes. Most Bomber formations are. Only remedy for that, IMHO is an On the deck Pop and Drop...with a real quick calibration.  Then the Ack with eat you up anyway...so?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 10:20:08 AM »
E6B is your MASTER!   ZERO out your climb rate as per E6B reading. Doesnt matter what the "Speed" is for any bomber. This can be done outside of Bomb Sight as you know?Can even do that in a gun position.  After any last minute course adjustments a quick recalibration...still Spot On.    "Sitting Duck"...well yes. Most Bomber formations are. Only remedy for that, IMHO is an On the deck Pop and Drop...with a real quick calibration.  Then the Ack with eat you up anyway...so?
That's right :old:

At the end of the day it's all about hitting your target first, getting home second. Learning how to attack the target, taking evasive maneuvers, ans gunning accurately. All the while focusing on destroying the objective. I swear this is the best WW2 bomber game in the world. Its still brilliant :cheers:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2023, 10:43:17 AM »
  I swear this is the best WW2 bomber game in the world. Its still brilliant :cheers:

I agree... :salute

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2023, 04:22:47 AM »
That's right :old:

At the end of the day it's all about hitting your target first, getting home second. Learning how to attack the target, taking evasive maneuvers, ans gunning accurately. All the while focusing on destroying the objective. I swear this is the best WW2 bomber game in the world. Its still brilliant :cheers:
You won't hear me griping! UNLESS..........eh, we all have our "DALE! FIX THIS!" issues...but a Finetime ain't one!  :rofl :furious :bhead
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain