Author Topic: Old Computer Upgrade  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Old Computer Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2023, 10:34:12 AM »
Definitely upgrade to ssd drive if you don't have one

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2023, 10:47:54 AM »
Definitely upgrade to ssd drive if you don't have one

Eagler

In 2019 I had hard drive crash and replaced with 250GB SSD and 1 TB Hard Drive.

The computer works amazingly well, a few issues aside.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 02:28:06 PM »
I have a 1080ti in my gaming rig, perhaps the thing to do is buy a new card for my gaming rig and move the 1080 to my work (older) pc.

thoughts?

I like the way you think!  :aok :cool:
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2023, 08:21:26 AM »
What level of upgrade on the card are you shooting for?

I need to check but might have this available for a decent price

MSI GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDRR6 256-bit HDMI/DP/USB Ray Tracing Turing Architecture HDCP Graphics Card (RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G OC) https://a.co/d/9iWH0dX

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2023, 12:06:27 PM »
So after looking at new Graphics cards for my gaming build, I re-evaluated my needs (and budget) and decided to go with an older card for the old computer upgrade.

Took a couple comments under consideration and ordered a GTX 970 off ebay and will try to fit it into my existing tower. I have a new tower just in case it's impossible to fit, and if it does fit, I'll send the case back.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 12:09:37 PM »
970 will be solid for the games you mentioned - I stuck mine in a spare build but it had no issues with Civ and stuff up until I 'retired' it for the 1080ti.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2023, 01:31:18 PM »
after some tinkering - 970 is in and functioning. A little tight but no modifications were required. Thanks for all your advice.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2023, 01:28:16 PM »
after some tinkering - 970 is in and functioning. A little tight but no modifications were required. Thanks for all your advice.

With 970, I recommend some overclocking wit Afterburner and Razer Cortex is also useful to keep fps flowing smoothly.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 02:15:29 PM »
With 970, I recommend some overclocking wit Afterburner and Razer Cortex is also useful to keep fps flowing smoothly.
Or maybe a slight underclocking and redrawing the cooling curves to start a bit earlier for maximized stability. The 970's seemed to have a tendency to start to suffer from moderate heat after a while when the cooling pads stiffened and the fins clogged. They seemed to be built to run at the edge and everything starting from the aluminium heat sink slightly oxidizing to become matte might have been enough to cause crashes.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2023, 04:46:56 PM »
One cool thing about Afterburner is you can make up to 5 profiles to switch to. I usually make #3 the stock profile and use #1 and 2 for undervolting/underclocking, then #4 and 5 for overclocking. Switch, test, reset, test again.

Cooling with that older card. Would be a good idea to take it apart re-paste and maybe re-pad it. The paste is almost certainly played by now. Would breathe new life into it for sure. More often than not it's all that's wrong with them.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »
I ended up with overclocking GTX 970, as in AH some terrains made fps to stutter in default settings. I have effective cooling system so heat is not an issue in my mill.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2023, 11:33:52 AM »
heat is not an issue in my mill.
Yes, it depends on various things. My 970 worked flawlessly in my system, in the northern corner of our house. When I sold it to a fellow player it started crashing, his room temperature being some 5 degrees higher and the computer sitting on the table in direct sunlight. A more aggressive fan profile fixed it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
I happened to get second hand MSI GTX1070Ti with just 110$, so I decided to give it a try. AH worked well with GTX970, but in some other sim it was running on the edge of its performance. Must say, difference is impressive. AH around 100 fps with modified graphics is now +150 w/ maximum settings and movements much smoother. All I have to do now is to learn how to fly.

GTX970 with mild overclocking vs. GTX1070Ti in stock settings.

Taking in the consideration the age of the components I used to build this mill, it's doing pretty well.
The Mad   CatMan!