Author Topic: Bases to dense  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Bases to dense
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2023, 02:41:50 PM »
For just a second, I thought the title of this thread was asking if Players are too dense.... :) :bolt:
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2023, 04:02:55 PM »
How one pilots is personal preference. There are no rules. :) .
>

Very true but by removing close bases/increasing flight time you force the fight higher and requires more time to take to get to it..

So you are forcing rules with such a change imo <S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2023, 04:55:44 PM »
For just a second, I thought the title of this thread was asking if Players are too dense.... :) :bolt:

:aok Good to see you still around Guppy.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2023, 05:05:41 PM »
Very true but by removing close bases/increasing flight time you force the fight higher and requires more time to take to get to it..

So you are forcing rules with such a change imo <S>

Eagler

No no, as I stated above (maybe poorly), I just take off from further base, which is normal for me. No matter the map size or base placement I prefer 1-1.5 sectors away. Won’t affect me at all. Change things at will or keep things as is.

I think Fugitive got it right, newer maps aren’t as well known, therefore could be being played differently.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2023, 07:17:11 PM »
Its kinda been a concept that one should be 15k, for various reasons.

I have always had a 10k cap.  If I am at 15k, I'm mad that I climbed up that high  :rofl

Tours 86 - 296

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2023, 08:31:00 PM »
I have always had a 10k cap.  If I am at 15k, I'm mad that I climbed up that high  :rofl

That's fine, flown this way for decades. Most times,... I'll go to 15k,..BUT,...by the time I actually enter a base zone I dump 5k for speed, I'm at 10k and moving, it'll take a 262 or someone else doing the same thing to get anywhere near me. There's also commonly pilots at 10-15k, I'm fighting the vulchers, who are going after those who have no alt. A lot of those are 20k. OTOH At 15k I can grab another 5-10k to get to 25k if I'm going after a hi buffs instead. It gives me more than one choice. I'm going after what ever is getting the least attention. It's just my way.

Point being, map size will not change my style, but some changes could help for more or bigger fights. All this stuff truly is a science, dripping of opinions and variables. But talking about forcing rules, it's kind of forcing rules making it too small and those who fly like me or higher and wider lose out. I don't think it would be wise to arrange it just for low alt flyers.

Personally, I can go with less bases (smaller map), not sure if I'd change the base distances, that can go either way. IMO. One map I really thought hit a honey spot does not come up often, but should. Can't remember the name, starts with an M. older map. Mandino? I think the land mass size is great, the map produced some great fights/battles.

I think some time-lapse vid of a map in use could tell some stories we are missing. Looking for movement patterns.

All that drivel said, big maps are a selling point, if you're coming from another sim. It has a wow effect. That I know of, sims like DCS don't have maps this big. We miss that point because we are deep inside studying it.

From other vid comments I read, a lot of former players don't even know the game exist anymore, they tend to go into nostalgic mode. No one expected it to go this far. Pretty sure that includes HT. That's a problem, probably the bigger problem.

A few things need to come together full circle. Promoting and spreading the word/vids we're still here. Vids will be more sell-able with modern FX. The more players the less map problems, as well as more income for HTC to be able to afford some new updates and maintenance issues. In a biz sense, it has to be worth putting the time in for updates. I think the more we put effort into drawing former players back or new players, the better many things will be. I think that is a core solution.

Idea
30 day trial
$20 mo.

No one can convince me that paying $20 per mo is more expensive that buying a collection of planes at $70 a pop. It comes out to about the same, or higher on their end. WT, DCS, IL-2 have seen their peaks, their 15-20 yrs is catching up, numbers are slowly dropping. we have been gaining arena count more than losing. And that is a flag. DCS just came out with a video totally in my style, music an all. Bring AH up to speed could be a threat. No one has scenarios or MP arenas of any real count, we laugh at 50 in one arena.

2 cents.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2023, 06:15:10 AM »
Yeah Par, I get a little ribbing about that too, all in good fun. Funny part is, I drive every spawn at least 3 times minimum, I do try to eliminate the steep hills as much as possible, and make the trees a balance for the gv-ers vs the flyers.

To everyone else, I appreciate the feedback, good or bad. I enjoy work with the Terrain Editor, and spend almost as much time on it as I do in game. :D
Brings back memories of the Early Days!   In AH3!  Fellers had been playing for a Decade, before I got here?  Can't dodge trees?"   
Ya Ya..Cumquates and Lemon..maybe Orange Trees....all "HIT" different...but really? Maybe it is VR?  I cant remember the last time GVing, that I got stuck..."He...add enough trees?" LOL   Dont get me wrong, as per Last Evening...YES  I hit a tree...defending that Base. That is different "Tree' situation.  :rofl :furious  "TROOPS RUNNING"........dive in..........Da TREE...and next trip back.."The Building"! Even had a few Tard Misses..."BW, you doing OK?"  :rofl   Dang I love you fellers!!! Having too much fun!
BW1stpar/ULCapkid
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2023, 08:30:14 AM »
1stpar3 I'm doing great. Getting older but we all get that. :D I'm still putting in 2 to 3 hours a day in the game, and an additional 3 or 4 hours in the Terrain Editor, if I'm working on a map. :banana:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76