Author Topic: Any suggestions for this: periodic hangs of AH front-end software?  (Read 235 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
If I play AH long enough, I start getting front-end hangs periodically.

After about 1.5 hours, I get a half second hang every 30 seconds or so.

After about 3 hours, it progresses to 1 second hang every 13 seconds or so.

It is repeatable for me.  I run Windows 10.  Happens on DX9 and DX11 versions of AH.

I have alt-tabbed out and not noticed anything that stands out in task manager.

Any suggestions?

My computer has plenty of horsepower for AH.  It's not a lack of hardware capability.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Any suggestions for this: periodic hangs of AH front-end software?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 04:29:57 PM »
Have you chacked for updated drivers for your graphics?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 06:24:31 PM »
check your fans too. It sounds like the hotter your box gets the worst the problem. Besure vents are clear, all fans are running, fins are clean and so on.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 01:24:48 AM »
Good call for the temperature!

Here's a copy of what I typed on TechSupport:

Hard to tell what it might be, but there's a couple of things easy enough to try.

The first suspect for me is the bunch of Windows Apps. They're allowed to hog a serious amount of resources for updates but that doesn't necessarily show as a constant high percentage in the Task Manager. Uninstalling those that a) you don't use and b) that can be uninstalled never harms anyone. There's new ones after the latest updates so going through Apps and Features might be an eye opener.

While you're at it, go to the Settings > Privacy > Background apps and disable the entire bunch. I haven't noticed any disadvantage from having it off since I started using Win10. Further, even Microsoft hints it's optional as they suggest turning apps off for longer battery life.

In Settings>System>Notifications and actions uncheck every tick box and turn off every feature you don't feel like wanting announcements from. AutoPlay is the only one I like to keep as it tells when it's safe to pull a USB stick out.

The new Bing that wants to sit either in the middle of your Desktop or at least populate the Search bar can also be the culprit. I don't know much about it yet but it seems to be very persistent. Disabling the Search Highlights is also reccommendable - what exactly is the idea of bringing up random landscapes or animals? Are they trying to educate us?

Last but not least, check your Edge settings. First and foremost disable the Startup Boost and also turn off the 'keep running in the background when closed'.

That's NOT all, Folks!

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 09:43:39 AM »
Bizman you never cease to be a treasure trove of tips & tricks when it comes to Windows. Can you identify a publication, web site, etc. that provides a list of SAFE adjustments geared to technical DUMMIES,  that will streamline the average computer?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:58:32 AM »
Bizman you never cease to be a treasure trove of tips & tricks when it comes to Windows. Can you identify a publication, web site, etc. that provides a list of SAFE adjustments geared to technical DUMMIES,  that will streamline the average computer?
Sorry, the information above is mostly something I've figured out by myself, doing a search for apps I don't know about and gathering bits and pieces from here and there. The main questions I pose are "Do I need this?" and "Does removing this endanger my security?"
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni