Author Topic: Rauhbautz VII  (Read 328 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Rauhbautz VII
« on: November 16, 2023, 12:48:39 AM »
This skin was done by request for Vraciu - it's been a long time coming.

Fw 190A-8/R2 flown by Klaus Bretschneider of 5./Jg 300 in late 1944. The R2 package indicates that the weapon suite includes 30mm cannons in the outer wing stations and the 13mm machine guns in the cowl are removed, with the channels faired over. Also seen is the fuselage armor of the R8 package, but not additional armored glass for the canopy that is also part of the R8 kit.

Bretschneider made his combat debut in July 1943 as part of the newly formed Jg 300, created specifically as a single engine night fighter unit. Over the course of his first year, he downed 14 RAF bombers and risen to the post of commander of 5./Jg 300. By that point, Jg 300 was transitioning into a day-fighter unit against American bombers and Bretschneider continued to score victories against the heavys. On one occasion, he even took the nickname of the up-armored R8's "Sturmbock" (Storm Ram) literally, downing a B-17 by ramming it. Bretschneider ultimately achieved 34 victories and had been awarded the Knight's Cross - an unusual feat for a pilot who exclusively flew Defense of the Reich missions. His noteworthy run would come to a tragic end on Dec. 24, 1944 when he was shot down and killed near Kassel, Germany by a P-51 of the 357th FG. The 24 year old Bretschneider was just one of the eleven Jg 300 pilots to be killed in action that day.

The markings of Bretschneider's final 190 have long been debated, with some early depictions going so far as to have the prop spinner and lower cowl painted red - they were not painted this way in reality. The spinner was black-green RLM 70 and the lower cowl RLM 04 yellow. The "Rauhbautz VII" (meaning "Tough Guy") inscription on the fuselage was indeed painted red,  but misinformation about it being painted yellow persists to this day. The side number, Gruppe bar, and tail band were all painted dark red, but there are many depictions with the number and bar in a lighter red - it is my opinion based on photos that the red was the same as the tail band. Another detail from my depiction that is not commonly seen in most others is the fuselage cross being filled with RLM 70 instead of the gray green RLM 74 camouflage color. A photo of the side shows the cross as being filled with a darker color than the dark gray, which must be RLM 70. Also seen are some spot repairs covered in red-brown primer.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Rauhbautz VII
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 02:10:18 AM »
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 04:49:32 AM »
Absolutely magnificent .   Thank you,  Devil.   Masterful.   I've been jazzing you about this one for years.  It was worth the wait.    :salute

Interesting side note...

The 190 attacking the B-17s in Keith Ferris' 1975 NASM mural "Fortresses Under Fire" (and the series of paintings related to this engagement) is Bretschneider's.

I have the reverse image in my stairwell.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 05:06:56 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 10:44:35 AM »
Beautifully done Devil, really nice job.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 12:12:00 PM »
Gorgeous!

Does Rauhbatz translate as "Rough Build"?  Closet I could get Google translate to recognize was "Rauh Bautzen"...

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 12:29:31 PM »
Does Rauhbatz translate as "Rough Build"?  Closet I could get Google translate to recognize was "Rauh Bautzen"...

It's a colloquialism for "Tough Guy"
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 12:31:22 PM »
Very nice Devil.  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 01:00:31 PM »
In addition to the above ("Fortresses Under Fire" and "Rauhbautz, Marie, Special Delivery and Bonnie B"), the other paintings in the series include:

"Schweinfurt Again" - https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/keith-ferris-schweinfurt-again-7004w-c-b2342239ea

"Real Trouble" https://keithferrisart.com/product/real-trouble-original-painting-by-keith-ferris/

"A Test of Courage" https://keithferrisart.com/product/a-test-of-courage-original-painting-by-keith-ferris/

It is interesting that Ferris corrected some errors in later paintings but several remained throughout.   He needed Devil's research to get it right.  Ha ha.   Still a great series.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 01:09:00 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 11:39:18 AM »
Is this one intended for a scenario or FSO in the near future?

Just an incredibly rendered skin. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 12:20:31 PM »
Is this one intended for a scenario or FSO in the near future?

It's intended for December's FSO.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 12:36:44 PM »
I hope I get assigned to fly it! :x
”KILLER V”
The Damned