Author Topic: VOX audio cuts out frequently  (Read 419 times)

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
VOX audio cuts out frequently
« on: November 13, 2023, 09:26:50 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestiond how I can troubleshoot VOX audio going silent frequently?  I've tried all the normal first things like making sure all my drivers are updated (including audio, obviously).  Oddly it started after I switched from a DSL 10 mbps connection to a wireless 100 mbps connection.  The wireless ISP also has better latency.  I'll be playing the game and hearing VOX this everything goes silent for some random amount of time then I'll start hearing audio again.  This has been a problem for 6 months.  Discord and Teamspeak do not experience these problems.
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: VOX audio cuts out frequently
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 04:06:19 AM »
If the problem exists only in VOX, I'd suspect your loudspeakers are causing it.

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 08:44:22 AM »
I don't have loudspeakers.  VOX has worked for many many years until I changed ISP's.
USA!!!
USAF 85-95

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 10:49:00 AM »
In the old days you had to have a modem that ran in duplex mode to be able to have packets run in and out at the same time. If you were having issu s with packet lose it al ays dropped out vox first.

Use ping plotter to check your signal to the game. Maybe there is a setting in your network that throttles back your connection. Wireless is far worse than wired for connectivity so that may be an issue from the start

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 11:17:17 AM »
In the old days you had to have a modem that ran in duplex mode to be able to have packets run in and out at the same time. If you were having issu s with packet lose it al ays dropped out vox first.

Use ping plotter to check your signal to the game. Maybe there is a setting in your network that throttles back your connection. Wireless is far worse than wired for connectivity so that may be an issue from the start

Thanks I'll check ping plotter.  I hate wireless but my DSL service with Centurylink was a nightmare.  It was out often and would usually take 3 days to cut through the big corp red tape to get to someone local who could fix the problem.  They are running fiber in my county but they are focused on the bigger cities.  When this service is available I'm done with this wireless service.
USA!!!
USAF 85-95

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 11:42:02 AM »
Just to clarify, there's several types of wireless connections. Don't know about your system but here the most common wireless Internet is in the 4G mobile network, 5G gaining popularity. Back in the day there was other technologies used as well, basically a wired connection spread via a communication tower in close vicinity. I guess 'Fixed Wireless Internet' is a term to cover that.

4G and 5G both support Full Duplex which is very good for gaming as it fixes lost packets immediately when they occur instead of waiting for the whole load to arrive. Think of ordering a pallet full of items. If one item is faulty, half duplex will first check the entire pallet, then order it again. Full duplex will order the faulty item only right when it's found.

WiFi connecting your computer to the modem/router is only Half Duplex which makes it the weakest link.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 01:43:37 PM »
I always make a wired connection to my home router when I play the game.  The network adapter speed and duplex setting was auto negotiate.  I flipped it to 1 Gbps Full Duplex for grins and troubleshooting.  If I start warping all over the place I'll ask for forgiveness and switch it back.

As far as ping plotting goes should I use www.hitechcreations.com for the target address or is there a better target.

I did an initial run against www.hitechcreations.com and saw a lot of packet loss but when I selected 8.8.8.8 there was no packet loss.
USA!!!
USAF 85-95

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 01:45:32 PM »
I always make a wired connection to my home router when I play the game.  The network adapter speed and duplex setting was auto negotiate.  I flipped it to 1 Gbps Full Duplex for grins and troubleshooting.  If I start warping all over the place I'll ask for forgiveness and switch it back.

As far as ping plotting goes should I use www.hitechcreations.com for the target address or is there a better target.

I did an initial run against www.hitechcreations.com and saw a lot of packet loss but when I selected 8.8.8.8 there was no packet loss.

I'm not sure about the wireless technology.  I'll have to call them up but if they are configured for half duplex they are living in the stone age and I should just go back to a crappy ISP.  I work from home and I'm on Teams calls all day long and I rarely encounter any audio issues.

I have a Deco mesh home router too.  This is something new I introduced before I switched ISP's.

I also found the Melee target information.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 02:28:23 PM by Shrike »
USA!!!
USAF 85-95

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 03:05:25 PM »
I have a Deco Mesh as well and have no issues with the game. I have a basic setup, but mine is all wired through a cable modem. Only trouble Im having is figuring out how to set up my server.

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 08:09:20 PM »

I love the ping plotter tool.  My VP's been praising this tool for several years but I never had a use case to learn the software.  It's much better than Wireshark.  I was able to see a hop with a lot of packet loss.  I made my ISP aware to see if my routes could be made more efficient.  This sounds like a fantasy but I'm going to try anyway.  I live about 50 miles from the AH game server but it looks like one of my hops is being routed to Kansas.
USA!!!
USAF 85-95