Author Topic: A Game of Games, a Legend - concern about the decrease of players?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
All, after covid and the last game change (version), there has been a marked decrease in the number of players daily.

Used to be, we'd see over a hundred in the general arena, about 20-30 in the midwar, and a good collection in early war. 

Now, we don't have those arenas.  I'm not sure in the last 2 years I've seen the "Open Melee" exceed more than 150 people.   Maybe it has.

It concerns me based on previous numbers of players and the cost of membership.

HiTech, is there a risk of losing this game based on the decreasing number of participants in the game?

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
Re: A Game of Games, a Legend - concern about the decrease of players?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 11:00:11 PM »
I don't want to be one who is over-concerned, but, I don't imagine that the costs of maintaining this game are rising with the economy..... inflation.

Tonight, we have about 71 players on line, as I'm looking at the clipboard now.

Is it my imagination but didn't we have, at least double of that a few years ago?

I'm persisting with my question, because I love the game.  This game used to have advertisements on cable TV, which Cable TV is no more. 

But, with the numbers, how long can this game exist before it shuts down? 

Serious question.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 01:20:26 AM »
All, after covid and the last game change (version), there has been a marked decrease in the number of players daily.

Used to be, we'd see over a hundred in the general arena, about 20-30 in the midwar, and a good collection in early war. 

Now, we don't have those arenas.  I'm not sure in the last 2 years I've seen the "Open Melee" exceed more than 150 people.   Maybe it has.

It concerns me based on previous numbers of players and the cost of membership.

HiTech, is there a risk of losing this game based on the decreasing number of participants in the game?

Spamming negative content about the game, he hss time, his game is boring. We lniw who this is in shades.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 05:07:52 AM »
Spamming negative content about the game, he hss time, his game is boring. We lniw who this is in shades.

I dont think he is being negative, just an old man with nostalgia of the good ole days.  We will never see it again, but I don't think the game is in danger of dying.  The costs to keep it running are minimal and we are still paying some good money every month.
The only way we will see numbers again is a re-release of the game revamped for today's gamer culture.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 07:08:14 AM »
Who is pop? Never seen him in ma

Why can't ppl use their in game handles on the bbs so we know who they care

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 07:39:12 AM »
I dont think he is being negative, just an old man with nostalgia of the good ole days.  We will never see it again, but I don't think the game is in danger of dying.  The costs to keep it running are minimal and we are still paying some good money every month.
The only way we will see numbers again is a re-release of the game revamped for today's gamer culture.

I do think we need to discuss the price point at some point. Feels more like a $9.99 game to me.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 08:14:12 AM »
WOW! This guy should just change his name to the "Spamonator!" Of his 20 posts on the boards 15 were last night.

Sounds to me like someone was a bit too lonely on Thanksgiving and drank a bit too much last night and got nostalgic.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 09:01:11 AM »
I do think we need to discuss the price point at some point. Feels more like a $9.99 game to me.

A McDs meal cost 15$, gone in 10 min. If $15 is hard on someone they have bigger finacisl problems than they thought. I call $15 spare change.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 09:17:25 AM »

Why can't ppl use their in game handles on the bbs so we know who they care

Eagler

Agreed. Most of nicks in this forum are totally unknown for me in the game. When Kalinihta kills me in there, how can I know I should berate Akumakujalla in here?

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 10:01:33 AM »
A McDs meal cost 15$, gone in 10 min. If $15 is hard on someone they have bigger finacisl problems than they thought. I call $15 spare change.

That’s like comparing apples and wrenches. Don’t be ignorant to the situations of everyday people. Yours is not theirs, etc…

It’s not about ability for me, it’s about worth. There arguably seems to be little worth for anyone outside the US prime time hours.

Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 10:02:34 AM »

Well 15 years ago we were happy to pay $15 a month for it. Seeing as the game hasnt changed all that much why should the price change?  :P

To "woo" new players the price might be a bit high, but if that changes and we dont get new players it just moves the cost point of running the servers and the sub rates that much closer, which in the end could bring in an earlier demise of the game.

I hope when Hitech gets healthier he gets back into the game. I think just a few tweaks here and there and a bit of pushing the name out there could bring back some decent numbers.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 12:50:46 PM »
Game was fantastic when it cost $29.95.. fewer children and immature adults

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 12:59:44 PM »
Spamming negative content about the game, he has time, his game is boring. We know who this is in shades.

We do? Who do you know it to be?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Palace Cobra

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 01:45:31 PM »
An interface update wouldn't hurt. 

Young pups love eye candy.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 09:26:35 PM »
It is puzzling to my how all the people that don't even play the game, know exactly what Hitech needs to do and what he Will do. :rolleyes:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76