Author Topic: game crashes  (Read 397 times)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
game crashes
« on: December 01, 2023, 09:55:13 PM »
my game crashes about every thirty minutes or so.  Can anyone help with this dx diag i attached? i know skuzzy could use to look at those things and tell you what was going on.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: game crashes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 01:25:54 AM »
There's a couple of things you can consider based on your DxDiag output. First, check if there's a newer bios available and while you're at the manufacturer's support site check if your motherboard drivers are up to date as well. Second, unless you really use your monitor speakers, disable the Nvidia sound in Device Manager and then uninstall the Nvidia sound drivers. You can do the same for the Realtek sound device (disable that in Bios) and drivers as well since your headset has a built-in sound card.

Since the crashing happens frequently every half an hour or so, I'd also go through the apps and uninstall everything that's not being used. For the rest I'd go through their settings and disable their automatic updates and automatic start with Windows - Edge by default does exactly that!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 06:00:03 AM »
Power settings should be set so nothing ever goes to sleep..

Same with usb ports

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 09:37:58 AM »
Power settings should be set so nothing ever goes to sleep..

Same with usb ports

Eagler
Good point. Same with HID devices, network devices, usb devices... Go through every instance of your Device Manager and uncheck the power management option to let Windows save power.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 07:45:52 AM »
So update.
Yesterday I changed to dx9 and flew all day with no crashes. Had a few times I got severe stutter and some hesitations. I account that to the game/map as others were complaining about the same things.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 10:24:48 AM »
Thanks for that bit of information!

If my understanding is correct Dx9 is easier on your machine than Dx11. That said, your rig should be compatible but without knowing the background tasks it's hard to tell. Anyhow, one thing to consider is your game settings. If your Environment Mapping is maxxed you just may run out of resources with Dx11. I just noticed that your monitor runs at 144 Hz which is 2.4 times more than 60 Hz. That means 2.4 times more load to your video card. Although AH3 is pretty lightweight compared to many AAA games of today, maxxed settings at that speed may be too much. Thinking further, it might even be a heat issue. When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your computer? And is your video card on default settings which often means they're optimized for silence rather than ultra performance?

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »
You might also check your case and fans for dust causing heat.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 02:31:39 PM »
Dx9 is cashing. Temps are 53*-56*. All usb serial bus are all ways awake. Gonna start working on background processes

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 03:02:21 PM »
Does anyone use any third party programs to boost performance before they play?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 04:22:34 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 03:53:43 PM »
Make sure your memory sticks are compatible with your cpu and board. I had something similar happen when I built. Systems are close. I have the 2080 ti and a 5800x and a 165 hz monitor
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 03:58:38 PM by Prayer »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 01:23:15 AM »
They were popular back in the nineties but it's been quite quiet lately on that sector. A script to shut down named tasks would be relatively easy to write but it doesn't do everything. And why would anyone like their computer run unnecessary tasks in the background while not gaming? That's why I prefer cleaning the clutter. Another recommendable thing to do before starting a game, or starting another game after having played one for a while, is to Restart Windows to wipe RAM. Shutting down a program, be it a game or something else, doesn't necessarily clean the mess it's caused.

Kotisivuni

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 03:46:48 AM »

Razer Cortex. AH runs fine even without it, but seems to help with some more demanding 3Ds. I have also MSI Afterburner, which was helpful with my old GPU (GTX970) but with present one (GTX1070i) I mostly use it for monitoring.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 03:49:08 AM by GasTeddy »